Time to replace John Currie

Volfan76

At this point there is absolutely no reason for Butch to still be on campus. Now it's time to think about the future of the UT football program and holding on to what little improvements that Butch has been able to make over the last 5 years. It was understandable that Butch would have been allowed to take the Bama beating before being released, but now the program, the players, and the fans need to be concerned with next year and after. The only possible reasons for Butch to still have a job:
1. Currie believes that Butch can turn this around.-I don't think this could possibly be the case but it had to be mentioned as a possibility.
OR
2. The reports of the buyout being reduced if Butch doesn't make a bowl game are true. If this is the case and Currie is willing to damage the recruiting class, the new coaches, the current players, and the fan base to save money after everything that everybody has been put through, then this job is too big for him.
OR
3. Currie just has not clue what he is doing and what it is costing the program.

The players and fans deserve more than this. We deserve to have hope for the future and instead we are still all paying for the many many mistakes of the UT athletic administration while they try to save money. Saving money is what got us here in the first place. An interim coach can give the program and fan base a shot in the arm and is the only hope we have at getting to a bowl game and giving the new coaching staff the extra practices that are so valuable to player development. If Currie is willing to throw this away to save money, then this program is too big for him. If he doesn't care any more about they program than this, it is time to replace him as well. I for one, don't want to have to listen to the new staff talk about the "improvements" that UT has made because they made it to a bowl game. Or watch another AD give a coach extensions and pay raises for getting the program back to mediocrity. If Butch was good at anything it was recruiting. I don't want to see this undone over the UT admin's desire to save money. If they want to save money, I think it's time for the fans to save money and stay home on game day until the admin takes winning seriously. The AD made these mistakes and instead of owning the mistakes, they want the players and the fans to pay for it. If this is the case, I say it's time to get a AD that can handle a program that expects winning and will accept nothing less. That is all.

Reactions: 38 people
I'm starting to feel that way but then again Nebraska hasn't fired there coach either

Currie seems to be afraid that if he hires a coach that has had 7/8+ wins over the last 3 years, that many coaches will be afraid to come here due to the high expectations. He's waiting for butch to win 6 so he can justify his firing to prospective coaches.

Reactions: 2 people
Everyone forgets the option that nobody on this message board is smart enough or informed enough to know anything that's going on.

Especially OP.

Reactions: 73 people
At this point there is absolutely no reason for Butch to still be on campus. Now it's time to think about the future of the UT football program and holding on to what little improvements that Butch has been able to make over the last 5 years. It was understandable that Butch would have been allowed to take the Bama beating before being released, but now the program, the players, and the fans need to be concerned with next year and after. The only possible reasons for Butch to still have a job:
1. Currie believes that Butch can turn this around.-I don't think this could possibly be the case but it had to be mentioned as a possibility.
OR
2. The reports of the buyout being reduced if Butch doesn't make a bowl game are true. If this is the case and Currie is willing to damage the recruiting class, the new coaches, the current players, and the fan base to save money after everything that everybody has been put through, then this job is too big for him.
OR
3. Currie just has not clue what he is doing and what it is costing the program.

The players and fans deserve more than this. We deserve to have hope for the future and instead we are still all paying for the many many mistakes of the UT athletic administration while they try to save money. Saving money is what got us here in the first place. An interim coach can give the program and fan base a shot in the arm and is the only hope we have at getting to a bowl game and giving the new coaching staff the extra practices that are so valuable to player development. If Currie is willing to throw this away to save money, then this program is too big for him. If he doesn't care any more about they program than this, it is time to replace him as well. I for one, don't want to have to listen to the new staff talk about the "improvements" that UT has made because they made it to a bowl game. Or watch another AD give a coach extensions and pay raises for getting the program back to mediocrity. If Butch was good at anything it was recruiting. I don't want to see this undone over the UT admin's desire to save money. If they want to save money, I think it's time for the fans to save money and stay home on game day until the admin takes winning seriously. The AD made these mistakes and instead of owning the mistakes, they want the players and the fans to pay for it. If this is the case, I say it's time to get a AD that can handle a program that expects winning and will accept nothing less. That is all.

4. Currie's pick to replace Jones isn't available yet and he feels an interim coach would be worse.

Reactions: 10 people
OR
OR

100% agree. A useless AD. We're probably now officially the laughing stock of college football.

Reactions: 8 people
Stop. I don't want a trigger happy guy. I want a AD who is calculated, deliberate, and who makes the right decision when it really is the right time.

This season is likely done for. No matter what we do, we may not even make a bowl. We may finish the worst in history. I don't know. But apparently, the environment within the coaches isn't even good enough to name an interim.

You're ridiculous if you're talking about Currie just because he hasn't pulled the trigger as soon as you'd like him to. Give the man a chance to do the right thing, and honestly, it may not even happen until after the season is over. Just breathe. It's already bad. If it gets worse, it just means you're definitely going to get the outcome you and everyone else is clamoring for. But at least give Currie a chance to play it his way.

Because if all of this pans out and he does end up hiring a winner, you're going to feel really dumb.

Reactions: 29 people
Heard today that Butch is in a ultimatum game at Kentucky. He has to win that game or he is fired. If he wins there we keep plugging along with him until he loses another game this season.
Several boosters want him fired now but the Haslams still holding out.

Stop. I don't want a trigger happy guy. I want a AD who is calculated, deliberate, and who makes the right decision when it really is the right time.

This season is likely done for. No matter what we do, we may not even make a bowl. We may finish the worst in history. I don't know. But apparently, the environment within the coaches isn't even good enough to name an interim.

You're ridiculous if you're talking about Currie just because he hasn't pulled the trigger as soon as you'd like him to. Give the man a chance to do the right thing, and honestly, it may not even happen until after the season is over. Just breathe. It's already bad. If it gets worse, it just means you're definitely going to get the outcome you and everyone else is clamoring for. But at least give Currie a chance to play it his way.

Because if all of this pans out and he does end up hiring a winner, you're going to feel really dumb.

For all we know Bill Belichick is lined up to be our coach and contract stipulations are keeping things from going public.

Reactions: 1 person
OR
OR

You truly believe that the options are "Because he thinks Butch is awesome, Because he's a cheapskate or because he's stupid?"

Have you considered a 4th option that perhaps he is a smarter business person than you? Has a deeper understanding of the overall picture than you? Has more information than you? What does firing Butch today accomplish ?

Everybody knows Butch doesn't have a future beyond this year. The timing of the termination is based on factors we don't know about. When he is terminated, all of the pieces will have fallen into place. Whether it's this week, next week or later the future will be the same.

Reactions: 9 people
For one, I'm glad that the OP isn't Tennessee AD, nor does the OP have a shred of influence on the running of UT athletics.

Reactions: 7 people
He hasn't said a damn word about the situation. That's why fans are mad. No actions are being made either

Why should he say a damn word to the fans? You want this band of imbeciles having any influence on the process?

Also, you're making a mighty big assumption that no actions have been taken. Are you in Mr. Currie's inner circle?

Reactions: 4 people
Daily reminder that you have no idea what's going on behind the scenes

Doesn't matter what else is going on behind the scenes, in front of them is a train wreck. What a joke this football program has become. It's sickening.

Reactions: 5 people
I wonder if Currie was impacted by what happened when Fulmer was fired mid season.

Or observing how LSU handled similar situations

Never had a mid season firing turned out well unless another coach has expressed great interest.

Soon

Reactions: 3 people
Heard today that Butch is in a ultimatum game at Kentucky. He has to win that game or he is fired. If he wins there we keep plugging along with him until he loses another game this season.
Several boosters want him fired now but the Haslams still holding out.

No offense but I don't believe anything anymore

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back