2 serious questions about our coaches...

Titan&Volfan4life

1...Is there anyone on our current coaching staff that should be considered for the new Head Coaching position?

2...Are there any coaches on our current coaching staff that we should try to keep under our next Head Coach?

These are serious questions and I'd appreciate honest, serious answers please.

The reasons I ask is because if we can keep any of our current coaches that could free up more $$$$ to be used to try to get a better HC that's also a great recruiter.

Many people on here seemed to be excited about new coaches that CBJ brought in so I wanted to see what the current thoughts were on trying to keep any of our current coaches.

Thanks in advance for your honest replies my friends.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
I think that Hoke should be interim. This would be probationary for the season balance. If he is able to rally the talent and show progress, give him a short term contract to give him time to develop the team. It would be his choice, of course, but I would keep Shoop. Not sure about WR and the other coaching positions.

But, that's just my uneducated opinion. Just looking at it from current resources/money position.

New coach will likely be an offensive guy. For that reason, as well as the finances of it, Shoop should be retained.

I think the defensive side is good and doesn't need fixing.
jmo -- that would be a good base for a new offensive minded head coach - the offensive side of the ball -- not very good at all, again imho - maybe keep one to help with recruiting -- I think we could assign the play calling to anyone who has played video football and it would be an upgrade.

Keep Gillespie for sure. Would like to keep Hoke as DL coach and Warren as DB coach. Would be good with keeping Shoop.

Don't expect a new HC to retain any assistants though, although it is possible an up and comer might retain one or more to retain some consistency on the staff for the players.

1...Is there anyone on our current coaching staff that should be considered for the new Head Coaching position?

2...Are there any coaches on our current coaching staff that we should try to keep under our next Head Coach?

The reasons I ask is because if we can keep any of our current coaches that could free up more $$$$ to be used to try to get a better HC that's also a great recruiter.

Many people on here seemed to be excited about new coaches that CBJ brought in so I wanted to see what the current thoughts were on trying to keep any of our current coaches.

VFL...GBO!!!

1. NOOOOOOO.....

2. Keep Gillespie! RB’s have been phenomenal under his tutelage!

Reactions: 2 people

VFL...GBO!!!

1. No
2. Gillespie and maybe Shoop, although I am sure a new HC will want to bring in his own DC.

VFL...GBO!!!

The only coach that should be considered to be retained by the next staff is coach Gillespie.

Reactions: 2 people
Hoke should be the interim HC.

He, Gillespie and Warren should be retained by Gru...the next Head Coach.

I don't see any of these coaches getting a head coaching job outside Division III after this debacle of a season.

Agree on Gillespie.

Did any of those wanting to keep Shoop and/or the other defensive coaches remember the UGa game, or the . . .

Butch should be fired after Bama...Scott should be interim and call what he wants to...everyone else stays the same, until the new coach takes over, then it will be a fire-sale...:)

GO VOLS!

I think the defensive side is good and doesn't need fixing.
jmo -- that would be a good base for a new offensive minded head coach - the offensive side of the ball -- not very good at all, again imho - maybe keep one to help with recruiting -- I think we could assign the play calling to anyone who has played video football and it would be an upgrade.

Only defensive change I would make is to replace Thigpen. The offensive side needs a full house cleaning done on it.

1. No. Not even close
2. Possible not probably in any way. Gilliepsie may be the only one

Neither coordinator looks like HC material. Hoke who knows; like Orgeron at LSU it didn't go well the first round. Based on his background and without any additional knowledge, the one I'd be interested in would be Warren, but that's definitely going out on a limb.

Why are so many people impressed by Warren?

It's a little hard to explain because he's not at a higher and more visible level, but it's not really totally different from so many people thinking that coaches from lower level conferences are ready for the big time either.

First he's an AF Academy grad. You don't go there as a path to the pros; you don't go there as an academic underachiever; you don't go there without learning leadership, organization, and other skills required to run a football program. Do those equate to being a HC? I honestly don't know.

Neyland was a West Point grad and an engineer; he was also an innovator as a coach; he used his knowledge from a military and engineering background to change football rather than fill time or maybe choreograph another offensive scheme. To me there's more to coaching than simply emulating what another coach has done, and it's been a while since we've had a coach like that. Enough to go out on that limb? Enticing, but I'd sure have to know a lot more.

VN Store

Back