I want a coach with a killer instict

Dobbs 4 Heisman

My #1 complaint with Butch Jones has always been his conservative nature. Both in-game and in the week leading up to the game where he downplays his team and talks up the opponent.

I'm sick and tired of going into games against the likes of App State and UMass and having to fight for 4 quarters to get a win. With our caliber of athletes we should steam roll every non-Power 5 by the end of the first half. Butch just never seemed like he went into a game looking to dominate the opponent. He looked like he just wanted to coach to win no matter how close or ugly it is. I want a coach like Scott Frost who is trying to EMBRASS every opponent by 20+ points.

Also I can't stand the way Butch talks about his team and the opponents. He always ran away from expectations at Tennessee and downplayed our talent level while always making our opponents seem like juggernauts. Now I know other coaches talk down their team and build up the opponent but with Butch Jones it always came off in a wimpy manner where he seemed scared of the expectations and wanted to preemptively create a narrative to explain a potential loss before the game is even played. IMO this made him look like a coward. When other coaches like Saban talk down their team and build up the opponent, its obvious they're trying to motivate his players. With Butch it always came off as preemptive excuse making.

I just hope we finally hire a coach with an alpha male personality. I'm sick and tired of the used car salesman who makes preemptive excuses before the game.

Reactions: 2 people
All coaches talk up their opponents and down play their team. Spurrier would talk crap about his team all the time. Saban hates the hype and talks up EVERY team.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch is soft and he coaches that way.

That's why I would love to see Shaw as our coach. Love that physical style of play. Hell, I'd be happy with Paul Johnson. That drive/cut blocking is such a blast from my day. Love that offense.

Did you get saved or something? I have seen a new D4H the past few weeks.

When we lost to Georgia I knew it was over. I always knew Butch wasn't the answer but I kept telling myself our talent could overcome him. I was mistaken. No amount of talent can overcome a flawed coach like Butch Jones.

Reactions: 1 person
XCavvfK.gif

All coaches talk up their opponents and down play their team. Spurrier would talk crap about his team all the time. Saban hates the hype and talks up EVERY team.

I agree. But those guys do it to motivate their team. With Butch Jones its a wimpy form of excuse-making before the game because he tries to control the media narrative afterwards.

Look no further than the Champions of Life comment. That was in response to a reporter who asked if the season was a failure after not winning the East and he went on a diatribe saying he never viewed winning the East as a goal. That his goal was to make our players "Champions of Life."

Other coaches don't do that. Nick Saban says anything short of a national title is a failure. He doesn't shy away from expectations before the season and then afterwards say losing is okay because we're champions of life.

With Butch Jones its just different.

Agree with this. We need a coach that admits when we play like crap and says we need to get it right in a hurry. Of course I would rather just win so he doesn?t have to talk about playing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew last year against TAM when he SHOULD of went for 2 after they jumped offsides and we had it at the 1 1/2 yard line to win the game that he didn’t have that killer instinct.

Sent a bad message to the team that had been working their asses all year.

Butch had no faith in them apparently and they have since lost faith in his soft ass.

Reactions: 5 people
My #1 complaint with Butch Jones has always been his conservative nature. Both in-game and in the week leading up to the game where he downplays his team and talks up the opponent.

I'm sick and tired of going into games against the likes of App State and UMass and having to fight for 4 quarters to get a win. With our caliber of athletes we should steam roll every non-Power 5 by the end of the first half. Butch just never seemed like he went into a game looking to dominate the opponent. He looked like he just wanted to coach to win no matter how close or ugly it is. I want a coach like Scott Frost who is trying to EMBRASS every opponent by 20+ points.

Also I can't stand the way Butch talks about his team and the opponents. He always ran away from expectations at Tennessee and downplayed our talent level while always making our opponents seem like juggernauts. Now I know other coaches talk down their team and build up the opponent but with Butch Jones it always came off in a wimpy manner where he seemed scared of the expectations and wanted to preemptively create a narrative to explain a potential loss before the game is even played. IMO this made him look like a coward. When other coaches like Saban talk down their team and build up the opponent, its obvious they're trying to motivate his players. With Butch it always came off as preemptive excuse making.

I just hope we finally hire a coach with an alpha male personality. I'm sick and tired of the used car salesman who makes preemptive excuses before the game.

I have grown tired of this as well. I am sick of the “vanilla” offensive schemes against non P5 teams. In my opinion it is the other teams job to stop our offense and against lesser opponents nothing is gained from going “vanilla” except to take away your teams killer instincts. Also when you sub in your 2nd & 3rd team keep running your offense. This helps to build real game reps and depth. It also shows you trust your players and want to showcase their skills. JMO TIFWIW

I have grown tired of this as well. I am sick of the “vanilla” offensive schemes against non P5 teams. In my opinion it is the other teams job to stop our offense and against lesser opponents nothing is gained from going “vanilla” except to take away your teams killer instincts. Also when you sub in your 2nd & 3rd team keep running your offense. This helps to build real game reps and depth. It also shows you trust your players and want to showcase their skills. JMO TIFWIW

Totally agree.

It was sad that Dobbs best production came against the likes of Georgia and Florida. Most other great players have their biggest statistical production against extremely weak competition. With Dobbs it was the opposite. He performed better against SEC teams and in bowl games than he did against the likes of App State or North Texas. And that mainly because Butch went vanilla against those teams as you said and wouldn't let Dobbs run.

When we lost to Georgia I knew it was over. I always knew Butch wasn't the answer but I kept telling myself our talent could overcome him. I was mistaken. No amount of talent can overcome a flawed coach like Butch Jones.

So the Georgia loss made you abandon 11-1, an SEC title game win over Auburn and a national title run?

No offense, but those of us who know what we're watching when we watch football knew a long, long time ago that none of that was happening. Welcome to the team.

So the Georgia loss made you abandon 11-1, an SEC title game win over Auburn and a national title run?

No offense, but those of us who know what we're watching when we watch football knew a long, long time ago that none of that was happening. Welcome to the team.

Just wait until 2020 or so when all the talent we have had on the 2015-17 teams are in the NFL. Then you'll see how bad of a coach Butch Jones was and how much talent he squandered.

VN Store

Back