Remember the excitement when Kiffin announced as UT coach and...

rockydoc

...the disappointment when Butch Jones (who?) announced. Will the next Tennessee hire be a BOOM!!! or a meh?

Considering that Kiffin was fired by Al Davis, and Butch's introductory conference seemed reasonably competent (he did not overuse individuals that day), the opposite for both was the case here.

This time, I don't care if it is boom or meh during the introductions. I want it to be a boom when we win in Atlanta, New Orleans, Tempe, Pasadena, Miami, ect.

Reactions: 4 people
I remember thinking WTF when they hired Kiffen and Jones. Kiffen especially. He had no resume. I thought “Man I must be an idiot or the administration is desperate”. When we hired Dooley I thought, “Man we are desperate”. When we hired Jones, I thought, “Here we go again”. Then it took months to hire a damn AD and I thought, “I have died and gone to hell”. And here we are again and I’m drinking everything in my liquor cabinet hoping to wake up sober and we have an actual coach. hic*

Reactions: 5 people
I remember the Kiffen hire and most educated people were only really on board after his old man signed on.

Reactions: 10 people
I remember thinking WTF when they hired Kiffen and Jones. Kiffen especially. He had no resume. I thought “Man I must be an idiot or the administration is desperate”. When we hired Dooley I thought, “Man we are desperate”. When we hired Jones, I thought, “Here we go again”. Then it took months to hire a damn AD and I thought, “I have died and gone to hell”. And here we are again and I’m drinking everything in my liquor cabinet hoping to wake up sober and we have an actual coach. hic*

KiffIn didn't have a resume? USC OC and Raiders HC...pretty decent resume.

Reactions: 3 people
I would be excited/hopefully optimistic about these guys.

Top tier <- would be pumped since I think all could get us to Atl in year one.
Kelly
Stoops
Patterson
Fuente
Mullen
Petrino

Second Tier <- would be happy and believe they could get us back to Atlanta within a couple of years. With some luck they could get there in year 1.
Strong
Venables
Novell
Leach
Miles
Brohm
Cooter

Third Tier <- could be the right guy in this mix but a lot of other guys said no to get us here. Might take more time but they should be able to take us there but we will be competitive getting there.
Frost
Martin
Pruitt
Fleck

Everyone else would fall into tier 4 where most would require a Google to learn more about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

Kelly
Stoops
Patterson
Fuente
Mullen
Petrino

Second Tier <- would be happy and believe they could get us back to Atlanta within a couple of years. With some luck they could get there in year 1.
Strong
Venables
Novell
Leach
Miles
Brohm
Cooter

Third Tier <- could be the right guy in this mix but a lot of other guys said no to get us here. Might take more time but they should be able to take us there but we will be competitive getting there.
Frost
Martin
Pruitt
Fleck

Everyone else would fall into tier 4 where most would require a Google to learn more about.

Frost in tier 3 but have Novell(I assume you mean Norvell) in tier 2&#128514;

Reactions: 1 person
Frost in tier 3 but have Novell(I assume you mean Norvell) in tier 2&#128514;

Thanks for your two cents on it. Is that your only take away? Out of 17 names you find one that you don't like where my opinion places them and a typo and that made you laugh until you cried. I suppose man. Great conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Gruden: BOOM
Kelly: BOOM
Petrino: smaller boom, but still boom
Peterson: boom-ish
Patterson: boom-ish
Miles: alrighty then
Stoops: lolwut?
Brohm: meh
Frost: meh
Norvell: meh
Fuente: meh
Leach: meh
Any Current Assistant: meh
Strong: Kill me pls

Reactions: 2 people
Gruden = SUPER ULTRA BOOM

Stoops / Patterson = BOOM

Petrino / Miles / Leach / Kiffin / Tuberville = PLS NO

Pretty Much Anyone Else = MEH

Kelly
Stoops
Patterson
Fuente
Mullen
Petrino

Strong
Venables
Novell
Leach
Miles
Brohm
Cooter

Frost
Martin
Pruitt
Fleck

Strong fell on his face at Texas...he is no tier

I remember the Kiffen hire and most educated people were only really on board after his old man signed on.

You are correct, sir. I was baffled then as much as in 2012. Wanted Brian Kelly or a guy who'd won as a college HC. Many others were hesitant until he assembled the staff.

Strong fell on his face at Texas...he is no tier

Peter Carroll fell on his face in Cleveland and New York but has done well in Seattle.I don't want Strong, but also not going to judge him a coach yet due to Texas. I also remember him outcoaching Stoops

Gruden: BOOM
Kelly: BOOM
Petrino: smaller boom, but still boom
Peterson: boom-ish
Patterson: boom-ish
Miles: alrighty then
Stoops: lolwut?
Brohm: meh
Frost: meh
Norvell: meh
Fuente: meh
Leach: meh
Any Current Assistant: meh
Strong: Kill me pls

If you would be a "meh" to Brohm, you need to brush up on your football acumen. He will kill it somewhere, if not Purdue.

VN Store

Back