If BIG Fish Coach is off the table...

ATLVols

If it’s clear that we won’t land a big fish coach this year (like Gruden, Kelly, Patterson, Petersen)...should we keep Butch another year?

I would rather not hire another up and comer (risky), so we should only hire a big fish that we know can make a National Championship run. We would be stuck for another 3-6 years if we make with the wrong hire. If we keep Butch (crazy I know), we could try again next year on a big fish coaching hire.

There are only a few grand slam hires that will almost guarantee a race to the National Championship. Flame away.

Reactions: 12 people
I do not want a google name. I’m ready for Butch to move on, but if it’s not a great hire, might as well keep him.

Reactions: 15 people
No, plenty of coaches out there who could get the same results without the gomer pyle drivel we have to listen to from him every week.

Reactions: 7 people
no one was a slam dunk until they were. this notion that we absolutely have to hire gruden or kelly is just false. and there are a lot of folks out there that really aren't convinced either of those two are slam dunks.

Reactions: 6 people
Even if this was true ( which I genuinely believe isn’t)
I’d rather sh!tcan butch and scott, let hoke cover for a year to rebuild his name and pad his resume and wait until we find a slam dunk hire than settle for a googler!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
giphy.gif

Reactions: 10 people
no one was a slam dunk until they were. this notion that we absolutely have to hire gruden or kelly is just false. and there are a lot of folks out there that really aren't convinced either of those two are slam dunks.

True, but because Saban, Meyer, etc had previous significant success when they each were hired it constituted a slam dunk hire.
If we hire a proven winner at the collegiate level ( uh-huh Kelly) then it’s pretty much a home run hire for Tennessee.
DO NOT SETTLE!!!!

Reactions: 3 people
True, but because Saban, Meyer, etc had previous significant success when they each were hired it constituted a slam dunk hire.
If we hire a proven winner at the collegiate level ( uh-huh Kelly) then it’s pretty much a home run hire for Tennessee.
DO NOT SETTLE!!!!

just a difference of opinion. i just don't think Kelly is a fit here. immediate perception of hiring Kelly would be good. i just don't know he's a slam dunk here. he's a slam dunk for somebody, yeah. just not sure it's us.

Reactions: 5 people
If they can't land one of the big fish as you call them, I don't really care what they do.
End result will be the same.

just a difference of opinion. i just don't think Kelly is a fit here. immediate perception of hiring Kelly would be good. i just don't know he's a slam dunk here. he's a slam dunk for somebody, yeah. just not sure it's us.

IMO fits do not matter if a coach wins. IIRC Hamilton liked Dooley because he was a good fit for UT.

No, plenty of coaches out there who could get the same results without the gomer pyle drivel we have to listen to from him every week.

avoiding drivel isnt worth the buyout. If the results on the field remain the same why set yourself up for more of the same 4 to 5 years from now.

Reactions: 1 person
If it’s clear that we won’t land a big fish coach this year (like Gruden, Kelly, Patterson, Petersen)...should we keep Butch another year?

I would rather not hire another up and comer (risky), so we should only hire a big fish that we know can make a National Championship run. We would be stuck for another 3-6 years if we make with the wrong hire. If we keep Butch (crazy I know), we could try again next year on a big fish coaching hire.

There are only a few grand slam hires that will almost guarantee a race to the National Championship. Flame away.

At least with an up and comer, there is a chance of improvement.

Reactions: 2 people
The problem isn't finding a Big Fish. The problem will be our boosters/administrators opening up the checkbook to hire a Big Fish coach. Keeping Butch another year won't change the fact that we haven't hired a Big Time Coach in 40 years in our major sports (FB, MBB, and WBB)

I'd rather give it to an interim for a year than keep Jones; if he is back next year, it will be the least excited people will be for Vols football in a good while. Even with Dooley there was cautious optimism his last year that he'd get it together.

IMO fits do not matter if a coach wins. IIRC Hamilton liked Dooley because he was a good fit for UT.

hamilton liked dooley because he was the one that said yes.

fit does matter. Bama was set to hire Rich Rod right before they hired Saban. at that time Rich Rod was as hot a name as their was....you think he'd of been a good fit there knowing what we know now???

i can't tell you i know kelly wouldn't be successful here. no more than you can tell me he would.

imo, it's just not a good fit.

VN Store

Back