The SEC Coach Grades.. and Jones gets a

How? And how did Mason get a C? Vandy has been destroyed in 4 straight SEC games. The win over KSU was on, but not enough to counter the beatdown he has taken the last 4 games.
I don’t know Ivan, I might be seeing that as unbelievable in that grade.

Reactions: 1 person
How? And how did Mason get a C? Vandy has been destroyed in 4 straight SEC games. The win over KSU was on, but not enough to counter the beatdown he has taken the last 4 games.
I went back and checked, and the only other F was Arkansas. Something doesn’t add up here?

Reactions: 3 people
Over the same period, Butch has built a program that has a winning percentage better than only 3 teams: Vandy, Arkansas, Kentucky. And Kentucky is trending up.

THIS ... despite one of the top five coaching facilities in the country.

I would give him and F. For massively underperforming compared to peers. And that is what a coaches salary should be built on ... your performance vs. peers.

Reactions: 7 people
Over the same period, Butch has built a program that has a winning percentage better than only 3 teams: Vandy, Arkansas, Kentucky. And Kentucky is trending up.

THIS ... despite one of the top five coaching facilities in the country.

I would give him and F. For massively underperforming compared to peers. And that is what a coaches salary should be built on ... your performance vs. peers.

I have to rate myself against my peers in my yearly review, seems fair.

I wonder how deep are Mullen's roots in Starkville?

I would love to have Mullen as HC. He has a good situation in Starkville though, where expectations aren't as great as in Knoxville, although his recent success has MSU fans wanting more. And I have heard his wife loves it there. But the problem with being at MSU is you have Bama, Auburn, LSU, and TAMU in the same division, so Mullen ever getting to Atlanta while at MSU seems highly doubtful. A chance at getting to the SECC would be the only reason I could see UT being attractive to him.

I would love to have Mullen as HC. He has a good situation in Starkville though, where expectations aren't as great as in Knoxville, although his recent success has MSU fans wanting more. And I have heard his wife loves it there. But the problem with being at MSU is you have Bama, Auburn, LSU, and TAMU in the same division, so Mullen ever getting to Atlanta while at MSU seems highly doubtful. A chance at getting to the SECC would be the only reason I could see UT being attractive to him.

He has topped out what can be done at MSU, we have seen the ceiling throughout this very respectable run under Coach Mullen. He is very smart, he figured out quick he had to win in cycles; in years when he had a bunch of experience returning he would go up to the ceiling, in years when the roster flips and experience is light he has established a floor of making a bowl. That is all any good coach could do there. Mullen has maxed out there.

I bet he would love to see if he could go to another level in coaching at a place with no ceiling, or a very high one at the least. He thinks highly of himself.......I think he keeps an eye open all the time.

Last edited:
This is from a MSU fan site, dated a tad, but spot on

It’s difficult to know if Mullen’s representatives have driven most or any of the recent interest in him. Leaking a client’s name to reporters as a possibility for an open job is a delicate practice that affects an agent’s credibility depending on if the client is hired.

Mullen’s choice of Sexton, who represents coaches such as Alabama’s Nick Saban and Auburn’s Gus Malzahn, could be a signal for many things: Mullen’s desire to have an experienced presence oversee his possible next extension, a want to position himself well for years to come at Mississippi State or an itch to place himself in a spot to land a top head coaching job elsewhere someday. It’s also possible Sexton could serve Mullen in each of those areas in various ways.

“Can an agent have an effect on whether or not their client is being rumored for certain positions? Absolutely. The key of course — and as an attorney myself who represents a lot of coaches — is if you’re trying to create leverage for your client, getting them rumored for certain positions can certainly help,” said Jason Belzer, president of GAME, Inc., a coach representation and sports consulting firm.

“That being said, you can’t do it too often, because it’s like the boy-crying-wolf situation. If every other job opens up, and your client’s name is rumored for it, eventually the school begins to catch on to the fact that maybe these are unsubstantiated. But to that effect, just being rumored for a job or being mentioned for a job doesn’t necessarily itself create leverage. If you actually go interview for a position or there’s serious interest in doing so, that may happen.

“I know Jimmy very well. He’s one of my competitors, but we obviously work in the same industry. Jimmy does what he has to do to help create more leverage for his client. Do I think some of the rumors surrounding Dan or any of (Sexton’s) other clients are sometimes true, sometimes not? Absolutely. Sometimes, they can be completely fabricated. But by the same token, he’s being very calculated. So is Jimmy involved (with Mullen’s rumors)? It’s very difficult to pinpoint. If he does his job very well, no one is ever going to know whether or not someone is actually having a conversation with somebody or not.”

Vannini said the interest in Mullen likely has more to do with the respect the coach has earned over time.

“With Dan, I don’t think it’s someone just trying to get his name out there, because everybody knows who he is and knows what he has accomplished and the job he has done there,” Vannini said. “How close he gets to other jobs or how real different situations are kind of depends on the situation. I think it’s more the respect that people have for Dan in the athletic director world than maybe just agents throwing his name out there.”

Whatever the reasons for the interest in Mullen, the conversation about his future at Mississippi State will continue with each new coaching rumor involving his name. Still, Lee said he anticipates the coach to remain a familiar presence around the Bulldogs’ program for the near future.

“I don’t expect him to leave any time soon,” Lee said. “With (quarterback) Nick Fitzgerald at his point in development, I think he’ll be around for at least two more years, maybe more. But I don’t know. I expect he will leave eventually.

VN Store

Back