A Little Perspective

OneManGang

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A distinguished colleague of mine emailed me to ask my opinion of the current situation regarding Our Beloved Vols.

This is more or less what I wrote back:

One of the things I try to do in my "Tennessee vs The Maxims" columns is to call it right down the middle. Praise what is praiseworthy and point out that which is not.

I can't say for sure, but I think the UTAD is VERY concerned about appearing to be a coaching "merry-go-round" what with FOUR (Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley, Jones) football coaches and four (Pearl, Martin, Tyndall, Barnes) basketball coaches in the last decade.

So let's tale a gander at where UT Sports were just ten years ago:

In 2007:
Philip Fulmer led the football team to a 10-4 record with appearances in the SECCG (lost to LSU) and the Outback Bowl (beat Wisconsin) and ended up ranked 12th in nation
Bruce Pearl led the BasketVols to a 24-6 record and lost in the Sweet 16 to Ohio State.
The Volettes under Pat Summit went 34-3 and won the NC.

And fans still b*tched. I can recall any number of posts about "upper-level mediocrity" or "Jimmy, when we gowin' get a cowitch?" or "Fulmer needs to go" and other hogwash.

The b*tching fans got exactly what they wanted.

And now they b*tch about that.

Ad infinitum ...
[/FONT]

Attachments

• effort.jpg
    effort.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: 39 people
I still think it was a mistake in firing Fulmer. And you still have people defending it and in denial about what's gone on since then.

Reactions: 15 people
Love your writing OMG, but the current b****** is reasonable.

This program is an embarrassment. The UGA game was shameful. Lost to a USC team missing their best player and lost their starting RB early in the game.

Jones will be gone and should be.

Reactions: 4 people
I still think it was a mistake in firing Fulmer. And you still have people defending it and in denial about what's gone on since then.

You are exactly right. There are people that said Fulmer ran the program into the ditch and thats BS. Oh Cut was the only reason for his success. BS as well. The fact is we ran of a HOF coach and have been pretty much irrelevant ever since.

Fans can deny all they want but my last sentence is fact.

Reactions: 17 people
Coaching “Merry-Go-Rounds” happen sometime, even at the best of schools. After Stallings left Alabama in 1996, they had Mike DeBose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price (hired and fired before ever coaching an actual game), Mike Shula, and interim Joe Kines before the arrival of Saban in 2007. Wasn’t a good decade for them at all.

They do, however, appeared to have rebounded a bit since then.

Last edited:
I don't recall any fan ever asking for a mediocre coach from a weak conference, but whatever pushes the pumper narrative.

Reactions: 3 people
You are exactly right. There are people that said Fulmer ran the program into the ditch and thats BS. Oh Cut was the only reason for his success. BS as well. The fact is we ran of a HOF coach and have been pretty much irrelevant ever since.

Fans can deny all they want but my last sentence is fact.

100% agreement! :good!:

Reactions: 2 people

STFU,
No it wasn't. Fulmer was done. Do you think Saban or Spurrier would ever let their programs decline to lltwo losing seasons in 4 years? No.

Whether firing Fulmer was a mistake or not, it has no bearing on whether or not Butch Jones should be the head coach at Tennessee. Butch has had 4.5 seasons to show that he is capable of leading Tennessee to 'compete for and win championships', and has come up short on nearly every occasion.

Coaching “Merry-Go-Rounds” happen sometime, even at the best of schools. After Stallings left Alabama in 1996, they had Mike DeBose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price (hired and fired before ever coaching an actual game), Mike Shula, and interim Joe Kines before the arrival of Saban in 2007. Wasn’t a good decade for them at all.

They do, however, appeared to have rebounded a bit since then.

A bit?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

On
I can't say for sure, but I think the UTAD is VERY concerned about appearing to be a coaching "merry-go-round" what with FOUR (Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley, Jones) football coaches and four (Pearl, Martin, Tyndall, Barnes) basketball coaches in the last decade.

Ad infinitum ...
[/FONT]

the bolded folks either quit and left for what they thought was greener pastures (Counzo/Lane) or had NCAA violations forcing us to can them (Tyndall/Bruce....i dont see why thats on fans...counzo couldnt take the expectations and ran away, fair if thats what he wants....and you can blame the fans if you want, but these others thats not on fans....

Reactions: 1 person
LOL... another "we should have kept Fulmer" thread.

"Dang it, but we shoulda never fahred Fulmer"

.... but for some mysterious reason, nobody else hired Fulmer when he became available.

Fulmer needed to go. The fact that we've been through 4 coaches since Fulmer doesn't mean we should have never let him go. It means the university has done a piss poor job of hiring the right guy since firing the guy that should have been fired.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A distinguished colleague of mine emailed me to ask my opinion of the current situation regarding Our Beloved Vols.

One of the things I try to do in my "Tennessee vs The Maxims" columns is to call it right down the middle. Praise what is praiseworthy and point out that which is not.

So let's tale a gander at where UT Sports were just ten years ago:

In 2007:
Philip Fulmer led the football team to a 10-4 record with appearances in the SECCG (lost to LSU) and the Outback Bowl (beat Wisconsin) and ended up ranked 12th in nation
Bruce Pearl led the BasketVols to a 24-6 record and lost in the Sweet 16 to Ohio State.
The Volettes under Pat Summit went 34-3 and won the NC.

And fans still b*tched. I can recall any number of posts about "upper-level mediocrity" or "Jimmy, when we gowin' get a cowitch?" or "Fulmer needs to go" and other hogwash.

The b*tching fans got exactly what they wanted.

And now they b*tch about that.

Ad infinitum ...
[/FONT]

Sitting in the stands at the Fiesta Bowl as we were beating FSU, about to win the NC, the guy behind me was talking about what a terrible coach CPF was.

Haters gonna hate.

Reactions: 7 people

Don't be surprised when R.Sanders is named HC and JB Cooter runs the offense. Why? Both are alumni. Many feel that Sanders had been groomed for the HC position once Fulmer resigned/retired. Something sure as heck messed that deal up. Coaches that coach a team long enough are gonna have good and bad years IMO. Had we kept CPF for 10 more years I think in 6-7 of those years we would have had 9-10 wins. We don't know that but we do know the desire for change has yet to yield a single championship. Not even a division title in 9 years.

I am partial to our former player/students.

I fail to see the point of this. Fulmer is the only coach you listed who isn't here because of fan support. Summit left with medical issues and Pearl left due to NCAA infractions/no backing by the AD. Just because fans b*tched it doesn't mean we're responsible for where we are now. It's having two lame duck ADs in a row who followed up those tremendous coaches with the likes of Dooley/Butch/Tyndal/Cuonzo/Barnes/Warlick. Those hires are why we've not been successful, not fans complaining on message boards. STFU

VN Store

Back