Our offensive Line

1985Vols

Is Pathetic! I went back and watched some of the SC game and just focused on our blocking. I have never seen a more " soft" line than what we have. The left side of our line ( Kendrick and Richmond) are horrible. They get zero push and are usually knocked back into our own backfield on most plays. It's no wonder we have only rushed for 33 total yards in the second half of our 3 SEC games. Worst line in the SEC by far. SC started 3 true freshmen and made our line look like chopped liver.

Reactions: 5 people
Is Pathetic! I went back and watched some of the SC game and just focused on our blocking. I have never seen a more " soft" line than what we have. The left side of our line ( Kendrick and Richmond) are horrible. They get zero push and are usually knocked back into our own backfield on most plays. It's no wonder we have only rushed for 33 total yards in the second half of our 3 SEC games. Worst line in the SEC by far. SC started 3 true freshmen and made our line look like chopped liver.

I watched one play where Richmond was engaged with his defender. Kendrick has another defender coming through the gap and decides to go double team Richmond's guy with him leading to JG getting sacked! What the hell are these guys looking at?? And this is not the first time I've seen these guys do this. Horribly coached and soft.

Reactions: 2 people
I am so tired about hearing how good the O Line is going to be great only to pitiful. We have not had a line worthwhile in a very long time.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch would just tell you that you dont understand the zone blocking concept that gives up sacks every other play.

I watched one play where Richmond was engaged with his defender. Kendrick has another defender coming through the gap and decides to go double team Richmond's guy with him leading to JG getting sacked! What the hell are these guys looking at?? And this is not the first time I've seen these guys do this. Horribly coached and soft.

Saw the exact same play. Some of these guys block like they are playing Pee- Wee football. They never sustain their blocks. Now wonder we never execute any plays, especially running the ball, unless Kelly or Chandler either break tackles or reverse field.

I believe the failure of the O-line is the main reason this team is failing this year. I've focused on the line too and it is horrible. Gaps, technique, motion, penalties, are all not what the should be. Say what you want, but Fulmer and Pitman could coach the line.

We also run a lot of RPO's which doesn't allow your offensive line to fire off the ball and drive block. The advantage on offense is knowing the play while the defense doesn't. RPO's take that advantage away from our offensive line.

Whats this "offensive line blocking" you speak of?

Oh, you mean the big guys are trying to keep the defense out of our backfield?

S*@t!!!

I know we've had some injuries but I though Butch said in the preseason that we almost had 2 full units which means to me that 10 can play.

Butch would just tell you that you dont understand the zone blocking concept that gives up sacks every other play.

And he would be correct. I don't understand it. I don't get the logic. OL play is about being more physical than the other guy, not trying to out finesse him. That crap might work in the Big East or whatever they call it now. It's not going to work against the speed of the Dl's in the SEC.

I believe the failure of the O-line is the main reason this team is failing this year. I've focused on the line too and it is horrible. Gaps, technique, motion, penalties, are all not what the should be. Say what you want, but Fulmer and Pitman could coach the line.

Butch not keeping Pittman was one of his biggest mistakes. Pittman best OL coach since Fulmer.

I watched Marcus Tatum on a few plays. He gets pushed around a lot, quits blocking if play goes the other way. One play he was watching JK run vs looking for someone to block down field. A DB comes flying by him and makes the tackle.

The OL is the best example of Butch and company not developing players. Jones and Robertson have digressed and 5 star Richmond has done nothing! And How do all these great coaches suddenly crap out when they get here? It's been that way since 09!

Last edited:
Offensive line has been an issue for 7 years.
They are offensive alright.

Let's hope the next guys main focus is recruiting hogs, hogs and more hogs.
Can you imagine how good Kelly and Chandler would be with a line that can blow holes open.

Heisman like numbers for Kelly !

on behalf of sustaining recruiting growth, it is encouraged that all persons self-check themselves before other-than-positively-discussing these little things like OL/blocking --

“Football is an emotional game,” Jones said. “It is a competitive game.”
“I think we have to understand, what do we want out of our media? This place with the drama, and again, these are kids and I think we all have children and we’re all adults, Jones said as transcribed by Gridiron Now. “Are we focused on Tennessee football from a recruiting standpoint, from all the positive things we’ve done, from all the positive things this football program brings to the community, this great fan base? Are we in the reality world of TV?

“I think all of us as human have to self-check ourselves,"

Butch Jones’ media rant was after being asked about alleged Vol-on-Vol punch - SBNation.com

The OL is the best example of Butch and company not developing players. Jones and Robertson have digressed and 5 star Richmond has done nothing! And How do all these great coaches suddenly crap out when they get here? It's been that way since 09!

Jones has been hurt and frankly I question his commitment to football. Robertson is a 3* who has been a decent player. He's a horrible center with at least one bad snap a game that completely destroys a play. Word on Richmond coming out of HS was he was soft and it would take a couple yrs of development before he could, if ever, play in the SEC.

I agree the OL is terrible, even worse than with Mahoney was the coach.

When you promote the understudy of a guy who's OL unit was terrible you get a more terrible knockoff of the aforementioned OL unit. The Butch Jones tenure at TN will be remembered for such boneheaded decisions.

Thank you OP for starting this thread. I have been saying all year this was our weakest position group (as it has been for the last 4 or 5 years) While everyone was lighting their torches ready to come after Bob Shoop it’s tough to blame the defense when they are always on the field because the offense can’t get a first down or sustain drives. Also I feel bad for John Kelly who is an excellent back but has no one to block for him.
***Trey Smith is the exception to this group.

To add insult to injury I live in Greenville, SC and Tigernet is saying that Cade Mays is suppose to come down for the GT game. We might get Dabbo’d again like with Tee Higgins.

VN Store

Back