What Eric Ainge said about Butch

vol_in_ga

Vols Deep
Couldn't be more on the money. Says that Butch Jones speaks the way he does because when he goes in front of a camera, he isn't addressing the media or fans, he's talking to recruits.

This has resulted in dissatisfaction among those just hoping for wins, and has inspired opportunity and hope in recruits. They see his words and say, I could be that guy. I will execute. I'm the missing piece. But how many times do his words have to make headlines, and his 4 and 5 star recruits have to play their way into an 8-4 season that could have been 11-1 before the recruits and fans start to see that Butch mismanages in game decisions, doesn't take necessary risks/shots down field, plays to the level of opponents, doesn't always put players in the best position to succeed developmentally, and doesn't make necessary adjustments both in game and out.

You need to stick to your core philosophy but you also need to be able to make tweaks and calls that benefit the team and every player on it. And as fundamental as recruiting is to this league, the hardest part comes after getting them on campus, where you need to keep them on campus, get them off the ground and into the end zone, and be more than the worlds best recruiter and most tweeted/liked coach.

Good luck to the next head coach, may he not only recognize Tennessees history, but learn from it.

Reactions: 22 people
Good point by Ainge. In spite of all the criticism about Butchisms here on VN, I've always thought Butch was excellent in his "way of speaking." He's a master motivator even if his sayings sound cliched and annoying to a lot of fans.

The problem has never been Butch's ability to inspire and motivate. It's his ability to coach the offensive side of the ball. He's a better "motivational speaker" than an X's and O's coach. If only he knew how to run an offense as well as he speaks, we'd be competing for national titles.

Reactions: 13 people
The problem comes when recruits, players, and fans realize his sales pitch is meaningless because he can’t, or doesn’t know how to back it up.

The jig is up with Butch, period.

Reactions: 15 people
Yep, Butch is an honorable man, a fantastic leader of young men, and an inspirational teacher. He is not so good with the X's and O's. He would be a great AD IMO. He is a fantastic person to be around, his understanding of the field is what's lacking.

Reactions: 13 people
Butch is basically Ed Orgeron with a Michigan accent.

EdO: Yaw, Yaw...weese eze playduh Voles dees sadduday.
Yaw, Yaw, me go bak to nayland..Geaux tigh-guhs.

CBJ: What this Individual is referring to is a previous situation where this individual at one time coached in front of 102,455.

EdO: Yaw, Yaw..Dat Dint meen greezed s**t ona andooey soosauge. Datbedendisbenow. Geaux tigh-guhs.

CBJ: And, again, the individual is rightfully stating that what happened in the past has no resiliency effect or supplementary and or complimentary bearing now.
Go Vols.

Reactions: 32 people

CBJ: What this Individual is referring to is a previous situation where this individual at one time coached in front of 102,455.

EdO: Yaw, Yaw..Dat Dint meen greezed s**t ona andooey soosauge. Datbedendisbenow. Geaux tigh-guhs.

CBJ: And, again, the individual is rightfully stating that what happened in the past has no resiliency effect or supplementary and or complimentary bearing now.
Go Vols.

Haha! I thought I was there.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch is basically Ed Orgeron with a Michigan accent.

Except Butch doesn't even have a proper Michigan accent. Butch is a plastic man whose features are just as fake as his catch phrases, slogans and mottos.

Does anyone remember last year vs T. Tech and Butch decided to kick a field goal before the half, despite being on the 1 yard line?? Everyone booed and if you read Butch's lips at the time, you can see him say "**** 'em all" referring to the fans booing -- it should've been obvious from there that the man couldn't cut it in Knoxville. If he's getting booed and can't maintain his cool while up 30 zip then...uh...what is he doing here? What's he getting paid 4 mil a year for? Certainly isnt for his abilities as an in-game coach...Recruiting, maybe - but even that whole aspect has been overblown. A lot of his highly rated guys have either transferred or washed out. Wonder why that is?

So even when Butch is winning he takes himself too seriously... then he acts like we don't deserve him and gets bitter towards the media, going on all kinds of irrelevant rants -- see "fake news" that he loves to talk about.

I say good riddance to him. He tried and failed. Gloated about off the field stuff that never really amounts to anything for the football program. Don't think anyone is going to care about that APR when we lose 6 games this year. He built the team to a respectable level in 2015/16 and even then he found ways to screw up sure wins and lose to lesser opponents. Our roster is more depleted than it looks, some of position groups are extremely weak - see the LB corps as an example of a position group that Butch grossly mismanaged - and when he leaves, you better believe our roster is going to take even more hits.

So yeah...Bye Felecia...Can't wait to see where this dunce lands.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Go Vols.

Attachments

• IMG_6607.JPG
    IMG_6607.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,966
Reactions: 23 people
I think Butch worries too much about what he doesn't know, so he second guesses himself and ignores gut instinct. Punting on the one - doesn't know his passer or runner. Pass on the three - doesn't know his runner. He used to say he didn't want the team to play with emotion. Telling a 19-20 year not to play with emotion? Might as well make them wear magic underwear, too. So, then you have the team second-guessing every move they make. He wants to pre-develop the team instead of letting them develop by making GOOD mistakes (ones that you learn from). I used to know an old hippie who used to live on The Farm in Summertown. He would call it "living in your head". Butch has the team "living in their head" and not on the field. (And Stephen "the Head GateKeeper", if you're reading this, Peace, bro)

Or Dumber or Ron Zook

CBJs limited vocabulary tells you a lot.
Not the brightest tool in the bulb shed.
But, a lot of coaches aren’t. They don’t necessarily have to be. His problem is that he thinks he is a lot smarter than he is. And, moreso, he really wants the public to think so.
If he was winning big, we’d continue to go along.
He ain’t and we no longer will.

Reactions: 1 person
If Butch could coach the way he speaks we would have 5 National Championships in the five seasons he's been here.

If Butch could coach the way he speaks we would have 5 National Championships in the five seasons he's been here.

what does this even mean

the man is terrible at public speaking

just reuses the same tired catchphrases over and over

I think most would agree he is "very very" bad at speaking, but he's a decent bull****ter.

Having lived here in Arkansas for 20 years, the coach that Butch reminds me of the most is Houston Nutt. Lots of rah rah that sounds great when you’re winning, and downright goofy when you’re losing. Good and decent man, but Xs and Os just aren’t his strengths.

Reactions: 5 people
The problem has never been Butch's ability to inspire and motivate. It's his ability to coach the offensive side of the ball. He's a better "motivational speaker" than an X's and O's coach. If only he knew how to run an offense as well as he speaks, we'd be competing for national titles.

Team was super motivated against SC and VU last year, and SC again this year.

Having lived here in Arkansas for 20 years, the coach that Butch reminds me of the most is Houston Nutt. Lots of rah rah that sounds great when you’re winning, and downright goofy when you’re losing. Good and decent man, but Xs and Os just aren’t his strengths.

Pretty good comparison.

You nailed it.

VN Store

Back