Serious Questions on Coaching Search

zidanefan

Senior Junior Member
I realize there are a dozen of these threads, so let the complaining commence.

The three biggest names I'm seeing consistently bandied about here in order of magnitude are Jon Gruden, Chip Kelly, and Gary Patterson. Granted that many other "big names" have been mentioned (Peterson, Stoops, Miles, Smith, Petrino, etc...), but these three seem to be the most likely, even if they're not actually very likely.

Okay, so on to the questions:

1) Of these three, whom would you most like to see named head coach of Tennessee (or rank them).

2) Of the three, Gruden has the most name recognition and seems to be the biggest splash. But, does his lack of college pedigree give you some pause? Does Lovie Smith's current record at Illinois?

3) Are you at all concerned that Chip Kelly's offensive/defensive scheme would not be able to withstand the big, fast defenses and hard-hitting running attacks of the SEC week in and week out?

4) Do you have concerns about Patterson's ability to recruit top talent to UT?

Thanks for indulging me.

Last edited:
It’s hard to say honestly how Gruden would do in the college world. He has the name, but who knows. Kelly and Patterson have done good in college. I think Kelly could win here, he blowed us out twice, and almost beat auburn with cam, and they had a solid team. I’d take any over what we have.

Reactions: 4 people
2 yes no lovie
3 NO
4 No Patterson always ups his game when he has to. He would hire asistants that could recruit. When TCU moved to the big 12 they had one bad year. In the off season he brought in people that could recruit and has continued to do so . What is TCU ranked now i think 4th. This guy is the real deal but doubt he leaves TCU for more reason than i care to type.

Reactions: 1 person
1) Of these three, whom would you most like to see named head coach of Tennessee (or rank them).

Gruden, then Patterson, then Kelly.

2) Of the three, Gruden has the most name recognition and seems to be the biggest splash. But, does his lack of college pedigree give you some pause? Does Lovie Smith's current record at Illinois?

Gruden MAY have the highest football IQ of all of the candidates. Personally, I think football IQ plays as well in college, if not better, than it does in the NFL. The only issues are around the recruiting and off the field things associated with CFB. I think he'll surround himself with the right people to handle that part of it.

And, the reason Lovie Smith is not winning is because he's competing in the Big 10 with significantly inferior talent. He's only in year two. By next year, you should begin to see improvement if he's recruiting the right type of player. If not, your concerns are valid.

3) Are you at all concerned that Chip Kelly's offensive/defensive scheme would not be able to withstand the big, fast defenses and hard-hitting running attacks of the SEC week in and week out?

He's a smart coach. He would adapt his scheme to some degree.

No. Recruiting is as much about the facilities, exposure and opportunity as it is the coach. With UT's current situation and Patterson as coach, a recruit would have the best of everything.

Patterson is who I would love to hire. His defenses have stopped the high powered offenses in BIG 12 and they can score as well. He can recruit well in Texas even with going against the bigger schools who recruit there (OU, Texas, A&M) and I think he could build the border back up around Tennessee.

Chip Kelly is my second choice, but would he leave with a chance to go back to the NFL or even worse when Alabama opens up?

Reactions: 3 people
Although I doubt Jon Gruden will ever come to coach at Tennessee, if he does though all the concerns about recruiting stuff are non starters. If he takes up the college job, he knows what it is about. He would not accept a job if he is not up to the recruiting challenge. This guy wakes up 4.30 in the morning to study football.
So I think he will not accept a college job because of recruiting and handling kids type of things but if he does accept I do not think he will slack in recruiting department.

Kelly, Patterson, Gruden

Absolutely. He lost patience with NFL players in TB. How is he going to handle 18 year olds and their parents? Lovie Smith?? - his record at Illinois and at TB speaks for itself.

No, I also don't worry about asteroids hitting me or global warming wiping out the coastline.

No, if Butch Jones could recruit decent talent, why can't Patterson?

Why do I have the feeling if I stick around long enough all these threads will go full circle and the name Lamo Kiffin comes up on the slot machine?

The firing is the easy part. fyi

Why would Patterson leave TCU? They’re a top-ranked team this year, and it’s a program where he isn’t on the hot seat every time he has a losing season. Hell, he went 6-7 last year and 4-8 in 2013, and he was given time to regroup and rebuild his teams. That wouldn’t fly around here. Just don’t see him wanting to leave that kind of environment for the scrutiny he’d be subject to at Tennessee.

We literally have no chance of landing any of these guys. Why is this even a discussion?

which guys do we have no chance of hiring. I agree with you that Gruden isn't coming . Patterson i heard has just built a house and his wife is a tenure professor at TCU so i really doubt he comes

Please for the love of all things orange drop this Gruden obsession. Not only is he NOT coming to UT, he's NOT going to coach in college. He hasn't in 28 f***ing years and has never been so much as a college coordinator. Why do people want him as the head coach?

Reactions: 3 people
which guys do we have no chance of hiring. I agree with you that Gruden isn't coming . Patterson i heard has just built a house and his wife is a tenure professor at TCU so i really doubt he comes

I agree its unlikely Patterson will move but if he asked for a tenured position for his wife and a nice house, I would let his wife be the Dean and build him a mansion!

Please for the love of all things orange drop this Gruden obsession. Not only is he NOT coming to UT, he's NOT going to coach in college. He hasn't in 28 f***ing years and has never been so much as a college coordinator. Why do people want him as the head coach?

I believe many on here believe it will happen. Now where's the "It's happening" gif. My all time favorite.

If Butch leaves Tennessee, we need to throw the bank at Justin Fuente. He's a proven winner and he was Patterson's OC at TCU before going to Memphis and turning that program around. I didn't think anyone could do that.

This guy is a great coach and I would make him say no to Tennessee. Give him what it takes to get him onboard. He would bring UT back very quickly.

Reactions: 2 people
If Butch leaves Tennessee, we need to throw the bank at Justin Fuente. He's a proven winner and he was Patterson's OC at TCU before going to Memphis and turning that program around. I didn't think anyone could do that.

This guy is a great coach and I would make him say no to Tennessee. Give him what it takes to get him onboard. He would bring UT back very quickly.

Why would he leave VT though? The fan base loves him, he won 10 games in his first season and he has the full support of the legendary coach he replaced. I would also argue he’s got an easier path to the playoffs going through the ACC.

VN Store

Back