Recruiting Effect???

MBVolFan

VFL!
With the departure of a few of our top recruits already, which do you think will negatively effect the current class, keeping CBJ till seasons end or him leaving now?

Reactions: 1 person
With the departure of a few of our top recruits already, which do you think will negatively effect the current class, keeping CBJ till seasons end or him leaving now?

Recruits know he's done, just as every one else does. Most are waiting to see who is hired. Its all we can hope for. Butch hanging around means little to nothing today. These recruits know he won't be coaching the Vols next year.

Early signing period begins this year for the first time. Nobody wants to be the guinea pig so to speak as to how that will impact the class from a team that just fired its coach.

You go hire a good coach and generate the excitement recruiting will be fine.

Like North Korea, the longer it goes the worse it will be. The more time a recruit sits in limbo questioning his decision, the more time other coaches have to keep putting doubt in his head.
It would best in the long run to be gone sooner than later. Need to have the next coach named before the end of the season and absolutely before the December signing day.

timing doesn't matter. recruiting class will be in trouble until a new head coach is named (likely after SEC championship game) and he names staff. Recruits are interested in knowing who their position coach is so there will be recruits shaky until that happens.

There will be several kids committed that will stay that way no matter what..

Reactions: 2 people
Butch is recruiting for HIS system. The new guy may not even want some of the players that are committed. I'm not losing sleep over retaining the commits we have now.

I think it all depends upon the hire.
IMO just has to be done well in advance of December signing day to prevent possibles from committing elsewhere

It doesn't matter that much either way. They aren't going to recommit to Tennessee until they know who the coach is. It isn't very likely that Tennessee would be able to name the replacement until after the season whether Jones leaves tomorrow or the last day.

There are a couple of names floating around that are not currently active coaches. I suppose they could name one of them earlier, but if it is a coach who currently has a job, he won't quit until the season is over. If they are in a conference championship, he would likely coach that game as well.

Recruits will know who the new head coach is gonna be before we do. If Butch is fired before seasons end we’ve hired a coach currently not working. If Butch makes it to Vandy we’re waiting on a current coach. We’ll probably miss out on some guys but that’s the price you pay with instability.

Butch is recruiting for HIS system. The new guy may not even want some of the players that are committed. I'm not losing sleep over retaining the commits we have now.

I actually don't think he is. Butch has recruited a QB, an RB, and a bunch of WRs who are/could be great players but don't fit his system. It's played a huge part in his struggles at Tennessee. Jauan Jennings, Josh Malone, Marquez North, Marquez Callaway, Jalen Hurd, and Quinten Dormady are all examples of highly recruited guys who don't exactly fit what Butch is trying to do on offense. In order for his offense to succeed, he needs a mobile QB, a quick RB, and several quick slot receiver-type of WRs. While at Tennessee, Butch has played traditional drop-back QBs (Worley/Dormady), a big bruising RB (Hurd), and tall WRs that are deep vertical threats (Jennings, Malone, North, Callaway) for significant periods of time, but within the confines of his system.

Dobbs, Kamara, Tyler Byrd, etc. are examples of guys who did or do fit what he's trying to do, but he didn't develop them adequately or use them correctly. The way he used (actually, didn't use) Kamara during his time here is coaching malpractice.

Butch is an average at best (and downright poor in 2017) coach when it comes to evaluating and developing talent. He's above average, bordering on great when it comes to acquiring it.

Reactions: 3 people
Recruits will know who the new head coach is gonna be before we do. If Butch is fired before seasons end we’ve hired a coach currently not working. If Butch makes it to Vandy we’re waiting on a current coach. We’ll probably miss out on some guys but that’s the price you pay with instability.

No. Currie is not going to let a 17 year old recruit blow up Twitter before a press conference can be held. The recruits will know when we know. Maybe 60 seconds sooner.

Recruiting almost always takes a hit under circumstances like these, at a program like UT. It's a one-year hit, and the right HC can close the gap with his first class.

There are a number of issues that come with a coaching change. But it boils down to this:
Get the right guy, and it will all work out.

That's all we should be concerned about right now.

Go Vols.

Reactions: 2 people
Gruden.....soon

If this were to happen, there would be many young men opening recruitment back up from other schools, if Gruden showed interest in them. His name alone could pull many kids that would never have given us a second look.

well, to me, if I was the AD I would see what the affect would be right after the Bama game...:):):)

PS. of course...that's just me...and,

GO VOLS!

I actually don't think he is. Butch has recruited a QB, an RB, and a bunch of WRs who are/could be great players but don't fit his system. It's played a huge part in his struggles at Tennessee. Jauan Jennings, Josh Malone, Marquez North, Marquez Callaway, Jalen Hurd, and Quinten Dormady are all examples of highly recruited guys who don't exactly fit what Butch is trying to do on offense. In order for his offense to succeed, he needs a mobile QB, a quick RB, and several quick slot receiver-type of WRs. While at Tennessee, Butch has played traditional drop-back QBs (Worley/Dormady), a big bruising RB (Hurd), and tall WRs that are deep vertical threats (Jennings, Malone, North, Callaway) for significant periods of time, but within the confines of his system.

Dobbs, Kamara, Tyler Byrd, etc. are examples of guys who did or do fit what he's trying to do, but he didn't develop them adequately or use them correctly. The way he used (actually, didn't use) Kamara during his time here is coaching malpractice.

Butch is an average at best (and downright poor in 2017) coach when it comes to evaluating and developing talent. He's above average, bordering on great when it comes to acquiring it.
Hold on now. I didn't say he was doing a good job at recruiting for his system but that's what he thinks he's doing. I don't think he's recruiting for the next coach so he can come in and win right away.

Getting the right hire is far more important than this recruiting class , Mays included. UT sells itself ... if we get it right recruiting will never be an issue.

Getting the right hire is far more important than this recruiting class , Mays included. UT sells itself ... if we get it right recruiting will never be an issue.

If UT sold itself then we wouldn't have had so many decommit so far. More players commit to a coach than people realize.

VN Store

Back