UT Fans vs the Media

How many members of the SEC media do you enjoy?

• Total voters

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
Whether we're talking Kesling, Verne, Hyams, Rucker, etc., it seems like everybody hates them. I am curious, is it us or them?

Poll question, how many members of the SEC media do you enjoy?

Follow up, if they are so bad, shouldn't it be easy for some of us to throw our hats in the ring and do it better?

All sports media care about is whether a coach gives them good sound bites to run with, Butch does not and they hate him for it...period!! JMO

Butch only repeats the stupid cliches and they Hate that too!

Last edited:
I like Chris Lowe, Clay Travis, Greg McIlroy, Jesse Palmer, Tony Barnhardt, Dari Nowkhah, and Hubbs just off the top of my head. So...

Reactions: 1 person
By the way, I like none that you listed, in addition to Finebum, Booger, Musburger, Danielson, Neuheisel, Marcus Spears, Pollack, and Dave Neal. All are chalkboard scratching level of awful.

Reactions: 3 people
Lots of Vols fans love to hate the media.....but only when they are running the Vols down.

Apparently, the media's lack of orange tinted glasses allows them to see the train wreck BEFORE it actually happens.

Pumpers: Ray Charles level blind

Media and NegaVols: Woke.

Lots of Vols fans love to hate the media.....but only when they are running the Vols down.

Apparently, the media's lack of orange tinted glasses allows them to see the train wreck BEFORE it actually happens.

Pumpers: Ray Charles level blind

Media and NegaButch: Woke.
fyp at bottom 😎

I know it goes against the popular opinion, but I like to listen to Bob Kesling and Tim Priest during the games. They're better than most of the gumbas that ESPN/CBS assign to cover our games.

don't like any media...they're just "energy vampires"...and, they're resilient too...:):)

GO VOLS!

I don't dislike the majority of them. I just don't care what many of them have to say.

I think John Adams holds reasonable opinions, but sometimes his columns are a waste of time to read. Rucker and others are fine reporters, but I don't really care to read them as I get my vol-related news distilled through VN

The TV guys are mostly just talking heads. Verne is just plain annoying.

I just don't get much value in-general from sports media.

My impression is that many posters who have outspoken views on the media just want these figures to hold their same opinions and carry on as they do. ie Rucker is a reporter, yet people get frustrated that he doesn't get into all the rumor mongering they want to hear

Enjoy?....1 really:
Laura
CWS-LauraRutledge.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Whether we're talking Kesling, Verne, Hyams, Rucker, etc., it seems like everybody hates them. I am curious, is it us or them?

Poll question, how many members of the SEC media do you enjoy?

Follow up, if they are so bad, shouldn't it be easy for some of us to throw our hats in the ring and do it better?

I don't listen to the games on radio, and have said so before. My only regret is because I respect Tim Priest's opinion. Too bad Kesling's bland banter negates any energy the others bring to the broadcast.

I may be in the minority, but every time I have talked to Jimmy Hyams and John Wilkerson, I have enjoyed our conversations. But maybe if John Adams wasn't around, I might find cause to be irritated at them or some of the other locals. Maybe that is why so many of those guys like him.

As to some here doing better, we have a few guys here who post better points than I have ever heard on local talk radio, TV, or the Vol Network, but the possibility of them being hired due to lack of credentials makes it a mute point. I feel chances are there is some talented folk here who could be 10X better than those in place, but my opinion and $1.80 will get you a cup of coffee at Waffle House.

Does Gruden count?

Since he hasn't expressed interest in the Tennessee job in three searches, of course he does. He isn't leaving MNF to coach the Vols, so he is, has been, and probably will continue to be a media member.

I know it goes against the popular opinion, but I like to listen to Bob Kesling and Tim Priest during the games. They're better than most of the gumbas that ESPN/CBS assign to cover our games.

I never do this, but Tuberville was SO bad that I couldn't take listening to him and I muted, and lined up Kesling/Priest audio to ESPN.

I voted 0 since you appear to only include UT beat writers...

I enjoy a lot of the SEC nation guys...

But I like Spears, Booger, and McElroy the best--they seem to have the highest football IQs...

In fact--BOOGER warned most of us before the season ever started..

I wish they would add Charles Davis into the mix....

McIlroy is really good on TV and SiriusXM. Hate to give a bummer credit but he's a native Texan and didn't get caught up in all the bubba gump crap while he was in tuscaloser. Charles Davis is great but don't hear him much since he's on Fox. Hate also to give Gators props but Palmer and Tebow are good. Maria Taylor from UGA is also good. Finebaum is beyond horrid!!

Most of them arent remotely as bad as this board makes them out to be. Booger however is absolutely garbage. Has nothing to do with Tennessee. He’s the D4H of ESPN. Constantly contradicting himself, changing his opinion and using next to zero actual substance to make his opinions.

Cant really stand knox media. Too biased.

I really like finebaum, greg mcelroy, marcus spears, dari, just about everyone at the SEC NETWORK.

Dont really care for espn, dont watch. I sporadically listen to wnml. Its ok.

I like Kesling and Priest and any gameday stuff, just dont like knox media analysis.

I wish it was easier to synch bob and tim with the telecast, its near impossible since the advent of digital tv. Im the opposite during thr game, I'd rather hear ut homers, lol. Cant stand most espn sec network color and play by play men. Hate gary hated verne, absolutely cant stand tuberville, etc

But when thr game is over i want praise criticism and analysis from non-affiliated, non knoxville based unbiased media. Its just pointless to listen or read griffith, ainge, hyams, and any "media" under the thumb of butch and utad. I sincerely hope the next coach will be less paranoid and controlling.

The lack of practice access and the goebbels style butch control has rendered knoxville press near useless. Since they lack real talent, they are useful ONLY for their proximity to the program, you reduce or undermine that and you got nothing.

I would prefer to watch the game in pure silence. Announcers announce. Most of these talking heads are ego filled blow hards. Maybe one or two connected with the University who give us decent recruiting or game information.

VN Store

Back