The $12,000,000.00 Question?

photovol

Who can Tennessee really afford to replace Butch Jones as HC....and who will be willing to take the job?

It will cost much more than $12,000,000.00 ultimately to replace Jones and staff......Tennessee is notorious in going for the cost efficient HC.......UT must make a wise choice this time around. Good Luck with that...
Go Vols

Money isn’t an issue with our Administration.

They have plenty of it.

Stop with this nonsense.

Reactions: 13 people
Who can Tennessee really afford to replace Butch Jones as HC....and who will be willing to take the job?

It will cost much more than $12,000,000.00 ultimately to replace Jones and staff......Tennessee is notorious in going for the cost efficient HC.......UT must make a wise choice this time around. Good Luck with that...
Go Vols

Haslam needs to get out the way

Reactions: 7 people

Go Vols

They're not paying it all in one lump sum.

Reactions: 1 person

They have plenty of it.

Stop with this nonsense.

12 million Butch (and assts) buyout-paid out in payments but 1/3 is normally paid out 1st year)
14 million new coach and staff (if big name and big name staff)
7 million plus to buy out current big name coach

Reserve at Tn, less than 15 mil, lowest in SEC. help me out with the math here bill gates

Reactions: 7 people

They have plenty of it.

Stop with this nonsense.

Unfortunately, it has always been the issue with this administration, regardless of whether we can actually afford to pay or not. As long as it is an issue with the administration it is not nonsense.

I wonder how much we have paid to ex coaches over the past 9 years in salaries and buyouts compared to what Bama has paid to just have Saban? Bad coaching hires can be costly.

12 million Butch (and assts) buyout-paid out in payments but 1/3 is normally paid out 1st year)

Reserve at Tn, less than 15 mil, lowest in SEC. help me out with the math here bill gates

They don’t have to pay it off all at once...

But Tennessee makes more money than any team in the SEC with Bama being 2nd.

It’s not an issue nor has it ever been an issue.

You want great results? You pay big money for high quality coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Unfortunately, it has always been the issue with this administration, regardless of whether we can actually afford to pay or not. As long as it is an issue with the administration it is not nonsense.

I wonder how much we have paid to ex coaches over the past 9 years in salaries and buyouts compared to what Bama has paid to just have Saban? Bad coaching hires can be costly.

Haslam is a billionaire mane.
Manning has millions
Others as well.....the problem is control. We shop on the dollar menu for coaches who would be yes men. Give them a ton of loser $. They are terrible at coach hiring. Maybe Manning and Fulmer has more influence this time

Answer: Anybody they want if they open the checkbook.

And can we please dispense with this idiotic "But who will take the job" hysteria? UT is a plum job period. I'm sick to death of this "but who can we hire" stupidity.

Reactions: 2 people
Haslam is a billionaire mane.
Manning has millions
Others as well.....the problem is control. We shop on the dollar menu for coaches who would be yes men. Give them a ton of loser $. They are terrible at coach hiring. Maybe Manning and Fulmer has more influence this time

Let's take all their money and buy saban. $15 million a year should do it.

Considering there is 3yrs left on his deal then yes, it's paid 1/3 per year. Their buy-out is off-set by any other jobs they take so reduce that by 50%, and it's highly likely it would be reduce by even more so now you are at $6M total cost to buy-out Butch and his staff which is paid over 3yrs so it will cost $2m/yr.

$14M is for a Gruden or Kelly level hire. Let's hope and go with it. TN has no.2 revenue in the country while we are losing. Their deal with Nike gets them % of sales. Big-time hire will result in more merchandise sales, more season ticket sales, more athletic donations, a better bowl game which leads to a higher bowl pay-out.

$7M buy-out doesn't have to be paid if you hire a Gruden or Kelly and they are the only coaches that will command a $14M/salary.

It is an investment and all investments you look at the long-term return, not the now. A big-time hire will bring in consistently more revenues to both the athletic and academic sides of the university with success.

Too bad there's no such thing as football dept. profit.

Yep. A lot of different things are possible when the department isn't entirely dependent on its own revenue for all funding.

Add onto that the fact that the department now is paying for stadium improvements that were supposed to "pay for themselves". Sometimes you spend money to make money. Sometimes you spend money to lose it faster.

The reality of the situation is that any coaching change that takes a good deal of money is going to be spending a lot of new money. That means getting new money from boosters, and that means giving boosters more control.

Go Vols

The thing is that’s the MOST it could cost... could save money by retaining Shoop and the buyouts will be less if the fired coaches get other jobs.

Go Vols
We can afford anyone. I am sick of hearing we can’t afford a homerun hire. Yes we can. We have big time donors and I am fairly certain Peyton would pitch in if need be. But we dont need his money. Just go up $5 on tickets and parking passes. We can have the money!!!!!

Let's take all their money and buy saban. $15 million a year should do it.

Offer $100 mil. The gumps would match it, bankrupting the whole state. We could Volunteer to cover for them. I would mind going to Gulfshores Tn(Other than that gumpland is an armpit.).

It's my understanding our billionaire takes in over $2 mil a day in profit, it time to figure out who would be best for the job(I would like a HC with ties to the Vols.) and start stacking 1
$100 bills until he says, yes.

Beat the gumps.

Who can Tennessee really afford to replace Butch Jones as HC....and who will be willing to take the job?/QUOTE]

Tennessee may be unique in that the Athletic Department is a normal functioning dept. of the University reporting to,the President. Dept revenues are operating revenues for the University as a whole ... in other words , sports pays for a lot more than just sports.

Other schools, such as UGA, have separate companies running sports. These organizations are entirely self funding and have no other function than to cover the cost of sports teams.

I'm wondering if UT can't make a big hire because of the way it internally allocates sports related revenues?

Does anyone know?

VN Store

Back