When CBJ goes, any keepers on staff?

Remy

A kick to the cods is my only deterrence.
It would bother me not if we kept Rock or Gillespie on the new staff. I can see no reason for others to stay. What say some of you?

Reactions: 2 people
I would like to see the coaches without CBJ to see what they can do. Really hoping for interim coach to see where the team progresses. If I am the new coach coming in right now, I would clean house. CBS is the only one that I would that make me second guess. The man hasn't sucked at his job anywhere else but here.

Reactions: 1 person
Retain Shoop and give him full control of the defense.

I wouldn't mind seeing Shoop and Rock keeping their jobs if the change is made.

Our guys learning and executing a new defense will not be fun. I realze many of the posters on here could do it rather quickly but normal people struggle with learning and applying new schemes and terminology.

However if we hire a HC that is known for Defense we will almost certainly be learning both a new offense and defense.

If the new coach wants to retain Gillespie, Warren and/or Gullickson it would be nice. Not a requirement.

of course it is up to the new coach, but I could see Shoop being retained...others...not so sure...should be interesting...be glad when that decision is made...:)

GO VOLS!

Gillespie is a must keep. I think Shoop run his own scheme with his own staff would be successful. I think Hoke has prove he can get the job done too. Everyone else? Meh.

I doubt new coach would keep anybody after evaluating the positions. The only probable keeper would be Gillespie who has done a great job. We might try to get a couple guys back that have left or been fired like Pittman.

Honestly, I'd like to keep Shoop, Hoke, Warren, and Gillespie. I doubt that will happen. This is one of the sucky parts about firing a coach is that you often don't get to "keep the good".

Virginia Tech had a dream situation a few years ago when they hired Fuente, because they got to keep Bud Foster, and build a team with one of the greatest offensive minds in the game combined with one of the greatest defensive minds in the game.

I doubt new coach would keep anybody after evaluating the positions. The only probable keeper would be Gillespie who has done a great job. We might try to get a couple guys back that have left or been fired like Pittman.

Sam Pittman is a pipe dream. One he’s at a blue blood program now and two he’s making close to 700k a year. Don’t see us shelling out that kind of cash for an OL coach.

Keep Gillespie. Evaluate others on how much, or how little control Jones has given them to run their respective positions.

I would leave those decisions up to the new coach. I would guess he would transition from current to new. Agree he will probably bring in people he trusts. A big factor will be how much, contract constraints, etc., required to bring in a new coach. On the positive side there is talent on hand. Hopefully he can keep commits or improve. UT has top ten facilities IMO. A lot of alums to help, folks like Fulmer and Manning. It will be interesting to see how long the honeymoon lasts with negavols and media. Finally, having to play in the SEC, insane expectations, our financial situation, AD and staff he will have to work with, following three coaches who haven't lasted very long. It will be interesting.

Keep Gillespie.

As for Shoop, I've got a feeling when he goes to a team with a competent head coach that lets him run his defense, we are going to see him really shine.

VN Store

Back