Can we agree about JG

Orangeslice13

RockyTop is back, Let’s Go!!
If he plays well today (and I really hope he does) that it should be celebrated. The people like me expecting a bad performance should not pick at the small things.
If it goes badly. (And I hope I'm wrong but it's what I expect) we should leave this kid alone. No "I told you so...". No "this kid sucks....". Let's not burn this kids name too.

At this point we as fans should realize that our QBs are not getting the preparation they need from the coaching staff. So let's put the blame where it belongs. To me both our QBs have great potential and are in serious need of a decent QB coach. Let's leave it at that please.

I know.
Shut up Slice

Reactions: 35 people
If he plays well today (and I really hope he does) that it should be celebrated. The people like me expecting a bad performance should not pick at the small things.
If it goes badly. (And I hope I'm wrong but it's what I expect) we should leave this kid alone. No "I told you so...". No "this kid sucks....". Let's not burn this kids name too.

At this point we as fans should realize that our QBs are not getting the preparation they need from the coaching staff. So let's put the blame where it belongs. To me both our QBs have great potential and are in serious need of a decent QB coach. Let's leave it at that please.

I know.
Shut up Slice

I agree but I also know your words will fall on deaf ears.

Reactions: 3 people
Absolutely. I defended the decision to start Dormady based on the little pre-season takes we had. Never had anything against JG.
Would like nothing more than for him to look like a superstar. It's silly to to get so entrenched in an opinion that new results/info would make you bitter and spiteful.

Hope he has an amazing day. Willing to given time if his first start doesn't go well but would love it if he made muschamp look like an idiot.

Jones created this quagmire by generating a QB controversy instead of focusing on developing one guy to be the starter the entire off season and letting the other make their own decision for their future.

Bringing in a scrub like Canales to develop them was another major mistake. Good coaches don't get blown off by North Texas and Utah State.

Both players are talented and would likely thrive under better circumstances. After so many recruiting misses, the "recruiting isn't an exact science" argument doesn't hold water. It's Jones, his assistants, and his system that holds these players back.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope he knocks it out of the park today and I hope we win out. I always root for our guys. I have never, ever booed at a game.

Reactions: 1 person
Only blame goes to the AD from here on out. Not Butch, not coaching staff, not the players.

Im kind of excited. Jg should not be blamed or flamed. Neither should Dormady. They both been kinda put in crappy spots this year.

Hopefully JG will overcome that today, worry about the field ahead of him, not be looking over his shoulder, concerned about a short leash.

Let Guarantano lead this team and the future may look a lil brighter, may give us and the players a little hope.

That will be a good thing.

The Vols issues this year are totally on the coaching staff. The players shouldn't be blamed as they are not getting the preparation they need to be successful. I hope JG lights it up and he will get all the praise in the world from me if he does.

I really hope JG balls out. Based on limited action he doesn't look ready. I hope be proves me wrong and plays an amazing game today then goes on salvage the season.

Agree! We have coaching issues, not QB issues.

Dobbs overcame some of his lack of coaching with great athletic ability. Simple as that.

I know.
Shut up Slice
I agree, its ALL on BUTCH! All I would add is I hope they leave Will McBride alone, no sense in screwing him up too.

If he plays well today (and I really hope he does) that it should be celebrated.
Yes. If he does well then that bodes well for the Vols. Unlike some of those trashing Dormady for the last 2+ months... I am a Vol fan first and always... regardless of the coach... regardless of the QB.

The people like me expecting a bad performance should not pick at the small things.
That's more sticky. I picked at some "small things" with Dormady... some turned "small things" into generalities and those generalities into outright trashing.

I like JG. Always have. But I can't promise there won't be some "I told you so"... and not because of anything he might do.

I think he and Dormady both are handicapped by Jones' system and weak play around them primarily at WR. I think BOTH of these guys are capable of being really, really good. But you can't put even a great QB in a bad system with unreliable receivers and then condemn them alone.

No doubt JG will make some mistakes. We can discuss that. He may even play poorly. We can discuss that. But he won't be "trash" or whatever some here called Dormady if he does.

At this point we as fans should realize that our QBs are not getting the preparation they need from the coaching staff.
I don't really have a problem with that. I think the problem is MUCH bigger and long term than that. I is ultimately Jones' system. It is not effective against many of the teams UT faces. If Canales was the PERFECT QB coach... he can't overcome that.

So let's put the blame where it belongs. To me both our QBs have great potential and are in serious need of a decent QB coach. Let's leave it at that please.
No. They're in need of an offensive system that doesn't require 11 amateur athletes, some very inexperienced, to perform perfectly on every play in order for the play to work. They're in need of a simpler system that lets them play faster rather than worrying about whether they took 7 steps or 9 when they had to fight their way off the LOS against press man.

I know.
Shut up Slice

Not at all... I greatly appreciate your thoughts. They're well-reasoned and relevant. I think we should avoid attacking these kids like many have attacked Dormady and others. Criticism? Sure. It goes with the job. But some VERY IGNORANTLY make false, generalized criticisms. That should be out of bounds.

Jones created this quagmire by generating a QB controversy instead of focusing on developing one guy to be the starter the entire off season and letting the other make their own decision for their future.

Bringing in a scrub like Canales to develop them was another major mistake. Good coaches don't get blown off by North Texas and Utah State.

Both players are talented and would likely thrive under better circumstances. After so many recruiting misses, the "recruiting isn't an exact science" argument doesn't hold water. It's Jones, his assistants, and his system that holds these players back.

ABSOLUTELY. If Dormady won the job then no later than the last two weeks of spring they should have started TRULY customizing the O by incorporating more under the center plays and play action off of it. With him, this O should look more like what Bama did pre-Hurts.

If JG then play to whatever you perceive his strengths to be... which might not have been all that different once they got into it.

Either way, if JG was going to be the man... they should have had complete focus on getting him ready at least since mid-spring camp if not before.

Jones COMPLETELY mismanaged this situation.

as I've already said before...even if JG plays bad (hope it doesn't) if Butch pulls him I hope Butch is fired right after the game...my final straw...:):)

GO VOLS...BEAT THE GAMECOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot stand Butch.

But I want all of these players to play well. I want nothing but the best for them every weekend.

And that’s why I can’t stand Butch. He is the biggest liability to their success.

as I've already said before...even if JG plays bad (hope it doesn't) if Butch pulls him I hope Butch is fired right after the game...my final straw...:):)

GO VOLS...BEAT THE GAMECOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a "what if"... but what if he plays poorly, Jones puts Dormady in... and Dormady leads a come back win or gets them close?

I know.
Shut up Slice
I agree.

Now shut up 😜

I was watching highlights of him vs IMG academy from highschool, and the boy has some wheels. Those were Def no scrubs he was playing against either. Whether he uses them or not, who knows

I was watching highlights of him vs IMG academy from highschool, and the boy has some wheels. Those were Def no scrubs he was playing against either. Whether he uses them or not, who knows

I sincerely hope he gets the green light to use them.

ABSOLUTELY. If Dormady won the job then no later than the last two weeks of spring they should have started TRULY customizing the O by incorporating more under the center plays and play action off of it. With him, this O should look more like what Bama did pre-Hurts.

If JG then play to whatever you perceive his strengths to be... which might not have been all that different once they got into it.

Either way, if JG was going to be the man... they should have had complete focus on getting him ready at least since mid-spring camp if not before.

Jones COMPLETELY mismanaged this situation.

I honestly felt like this season was destined to spin off the rails since Spring with Jones talking up the " competition" the way he did.

For all his mealy-mouthed talk about open competitions and best players getting on the field, it's obvious he plays favorites with the lineup.

And I am staring straight at Colten Jumper as a prime example.

Agreed. Direct our anger to the coaching staff that has taken two highly sought after, 4-Star QBs and have managed to make both of them look totally inept.

If JG plays just fair, and gives Tennessee just a chance everyone should be happy with the QB play.

Even if he doesn't...............I'm sure there will be plenty of blame to go around. The bad start to the season isn't just on the QB's.

I'll keep blaming Butch and leave the players alone. If they win today (and I expect them to) I will try to find something that Butch did well and throw him a bone.........but that may be hard to find.....but I'll be looking.

VN Store

Back