A vote of confidence for Currie from Swain this morning.

Vfl2407

On Swain’s WVLZ morning show from Thursday:

- likes hearing that Currie speaks to CBJ every day.
- likes hearing that Currie speaks to present players every day. Trying to keep discontented players from leaving.
- likes hearing that Currie speaks to current commitments to assure them that he will do whatever it takes to get them winning at a high level. Says it’s a tough balancing act not to promise that Butch will stay or go until that decision can be made public.
- Swain says this coaching search will be different than what Hart did because Currie is smarter and more meticulous.
- Says Currie has done a great job trying to forge consensus amongst all of the usual decision makers like big donors, administration, former players, etc.
- says he has heard that Currie may have already given some names to a search committee to vet. Stressing that this search committee will not bring names to Currie but that Currie will bring names to them. The committee job is to then go to agents, friends, etc. of those candidates to gauge any POSSIBLE interest. This is all behind the scenes and confidential. Swain thinks Currie will keep it all to himself to avoid leaks.
- Says that Currie prob has three tiers that he has ranked of names that he will have vetted. That we are prob only on the Top Tier of maybe five big names for the committee to gauge interest on now.

Reactions: 35 people
On Swain’s WVLZ morning show from Thursday:

- likes hearing that Currie speaks to CBJ every day.
- likes hearing that Currie speaks to present players every day. Trying to keep discontented players from leaving.
- likes hearing that Currie speaks to current commitments to assure them that he will do whatever it takes to get them winning at a high level. Says it’s a tough balancing act not to promise that Butch will stay or go until that decision can be made public.
- Swain says this coaching search will be different than what Hart did because Currie is smarter and more meticulous.
- Says Currie has done a great job trying to forge consensus amongst all of the usual decision makers like big donors, administration, former players, etc.
- says he has heard that Currie may have already given some names to a search committee to vet. Stressing that this search committee will not bring names to Currie but that Currie will bring names to them. The committee job is to then go to agents, friends, etc. of those candidates to gauge any POSSIBLE interest. This is all behind the scenes and confidential. Swain thinks Currie will keep it all to himself to avoid leaks.
- Says that Currie prob has three tiers that he has ranked of names that he will have vetted. That we are prob only on the Top Tier of maybe five big names for the committee to gauge interest on now.

I still think he is setting alot of people up for disappointment. Butch will get the full season IF he can win all games besides Bama. That would put him at 9-3 and I don't THINK he will be fired.

Reactions: 10 people
Currie is keeping everything to himself tp avoid leaks.
Currie has given names to a committee to vet.

Sounds legit.

Reactions: 12 people
I still think he is setting alot of people up for disappointment. Butch will get the full season IF he can win all games besides Bama. That would put him at 9-3 and I don't THINK he will be fired.

With what we've seen so far this year, I don't believe that happens. It would be a minor miracle.

Reactions: 11 people
in the famous words of the Ramones..." I wanna be sedated"...whew wee...when does it stop...hang in there Mr. Currie...there's still much to do...leakage and all...:)

GO VOLS...BEAT THE GAMECOCKS!

Reactions: 2 people

I agree but nothing I have seen on the field leads me to believe we can do that?? :ermm::unsure:

Reactions: 3 people
It’s really a scary thing to have the fate of this program in the hands of a brand new AD. But, this could very well be his legacy and his ticket to the promise land in Knoxville. The right guy, parades for Currie! The wrong guy, break out the pitch forks!
Either way, we are at his mercy.

Currie is keeping everything to himself tp avoid leaks.
Currie has given names to a committee to vet.

Sounds legit.

I can see how you might think those two things are not congruent.
Maybe I didn’t State it well.
Swain said that the names of people that Currie has on his list are Curries alone. He said Currie has been given the ok to work on his own with the selection Committee.
All the selection committee will do is gauge interest of those names.

Now,playing devils advocate, what if the agents of some of those coaches leak that info to the media....maybe to build up their client and get a better current deal. I’m sure that happens.
But, Swain wasn’t going into this type of detail.
His whole thing this morning was to give his take that he thinks Currie will conduct this search in a good and professional manner. Take that for what it’s worth.

Last edited:
Swain thinks Currie will keep it all to himself to avoid leaks.

He'll keep it all to himself to prevent the disaster that Joe Alleva at LSU experienced. Can you imagine if Currie announced that Butch is leaving, he starts a search, and no one wants the job?

Reactions: 3 people
It sounds like Swain reads Volnation, anyone who has been in here knows this stuff, if anything he's a little late with this info. Volnation broke this a week ago!!

:crazy: Well gee I know my day will be better knowing a local ex-jock talking head gives the AD a vote of confidence.

Reactions: 1 person
I believe that he will be fired on Monday if we lose Saturday. No way he sends Butch to Tuscalooser

anybody that wants jones as our coach next year has lost their minds. Even if jones wins out that will be the best that he will ever do. Georgia is on the upswing and we cant beat Fla and this is the worst they will ever be. Jones will never win the east EVER. His best chance was last year and he blew it. Jones is a walking excuse maker of why we may lose every week WERE YOUNG , WERE injured ECT ECT ECT. Now i dont think we will win every game the rest of the year . I see at least 3 loses counting Bama.

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back