I'm warming up to the idea of bringing in Jeff Brohm

bpalmer28

Obviously, it'd be a challenge to convince him to leave Purdue after only 1 season but he's looking better and better as a head coach.

Saturday, he beat PJ Fleck decisively. In the season opener, he almost beat Petrino. He beat an SEC team 38-3. And he had Harbaugh on the ropes in the 4th quarter. This man knows how to coach...

And what's just as impressive, is his ability to get the most out of his quarterbacks. He's currently rolling with two QBs who have combined for 13 TDs to 6 INTs and a completion percentage of 62% (the leading passer is at 69%). What he was able to do with QBs Brandon Doughty and Mike White at WKU is simply remarkable... not to mention the 1600 yard rusher and TWO 1300 yard receivers he coached last year... The man has one of the best offensive minds in football.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
He is one of the few up and coming coaches that I could definitely get behind. Certainly does more with less. I think depth is an issue with Purdue atm....games were close until the end....maybe we can trade CBJ for CJB....

Brohm is MUCH better than Jones in the X's and O's. He his a younger Petrino without the baggage.

Reactions: 9 people
I'm ready to hire a volunteer assistant at a single A high school. It would be a big step forward and significant improvement over the current lack of leadership.

Reactions: 2 people
You really think it would be a challenge to leave Purdue? If anything was a challenge, it would be to hire him away from Louisville once Petrino leaves and Brohm takes over there.

Reactions: 4 people
You really think it would be a challenge to leave Purdue? If anything was a challenge, it would be to hire him away from Louisville once Petrino leaves and Brohm takes over there.

I was a little surprised when I looked at his contract. I believe it would be a little more difficult to buy him out than to buy Fuente out.

IIRC, he's making about $3 million per year. If the buyouts can be handled, it should not be a problem to offer him a raise over what Jones is making and get him to UT.

I thought it would be easy for us to get Fedora from North Carolina after we fired Dooley, but he said no... some people just don't think it's fair to their current administration if they leave after one season.

Reactions: 2 people
I like coaches that are former players. Feel like players relate to them more and they can relate to the players.

Hard to convince? nah. if he wanted to stay he'd probably have a bigger buyout

his buyout is such that it would be very manageable for a university like TN to come in and buy him out. I think it's at 5 mil after this season. buying out his assistants may be another story, not sure what the damage would look like there. maybe 8 mil max.

I thought it would be easy for us to get Fedora from North Carolina after we fired Dooley, but he said no... some people just don't think it's fair to their current administration if they leave after one season.

It was more than that. Fedora had a good deal. UT' roster was a mess and almost all of the talented players were about to leave the program.

Good coaches passed because they looked at the roster and knew it was a set up for failure. If the roster then was as good as the roster now... Jones wouldn't have even received a call. He took his shot because he had little to lose and a lot to gain.

The key is not waiting too long to fire Jones. You can't wait until recruiting and attrition land the roster right back where it was when Jones arrived.

Reactions: 3 people
Aren't most coaches former players? Not counting the trumpet player we have on the sideline of course.

even Leach played rugby! :)

and yes most coaches played at the collegiate level. there a few exceptions. Cutcliffe, Freeze, Paul Johnson, Leach, etc. then some of the greats in the NFL like Lombardi & Belichick

No. I want a proven winner now!

STOP SETTLING for up & comers.

We might have to. Other big schools have hired coaches with no head coaching experience lately, or were a head coach at a school viewed as a small time school: Kirby Smart, Lincoln Riley, James Franklin come to mind.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back