Pretty crazy talk over on TOS

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
I’ve never been 100% clear on the rules here, I know we don’t post links to other boards, but I think quotes are ok?

Anyways I’m no 247 guy, I’m all VN, but apparently this poster is legit. He started a thread with this info:

So according to a family friend, there is a 95% chance that Butch is fired if we don't win this week. He said Currie is already on the phone. Said it has more to do with losing control of the locker room than anything else. He said the only person he is 100% certain will be contacted is Jim Bob Cooter. Doesn't mean he is his top guy, he just said they have a connection. Can't say who he is, but he is the son of a prominent booster. I personally was very surprised to hear this. I would have never thought we'd fire him this early. Apparently the locker room situation is that bad.

Again, I’ll take a VN insider over a TOS Insider any day, but I would like to hear a VN Insider weigh in here if possible.......

Reactions: 15 people
giphy.gif

Reactions: 76 people
With the rumblings about the Jennings and Tuttle situations, there could be something to this. If so, I am a little bit surprised. Butch has always seemed like a guy who could keep a good lovker room attitude.

If this is legit, then I hope Currie uses his brain besides something to rest his hat on. Because if he is anything remotely like his predecessors, we are screwed.

Reactions: 5 people
I honestly expected a change to happen at seasons end but something isn't right behind the scenes. I just get the feeling the hammer is about to drop. Hell this entire season has had that vibe to me. Losing to Florida just bubbled it to the surface. Last time I had this vibe was after the Miss State loss in 2012.

Reactions: 12 people
I honestly expected a change to happen at seasons end but something isn't right behind the scenes. I just get the feeling the hammer is about to drop. Hell this entire season has had that vibe to me. Losing to Florida just bubbled it to the surface. Last time I had this vibe was after the Miss State loss in 2012.

Agreed, something has been off all season.

Reactions: 6 people
I don't know who started that over there but it sure reads like a pretty sophomoric attempt at rumor mongering.

Reactions: 31 people
With the rumblings about the Jennings and Tuttle situations, there could be something to this. If so, I am a little bit surprised. Butch has always seemed like a guy who could keep a good lovker room attitude.

If this is legit, then I hope Currie uses his brain besides something to rest his hat on. Because if he is anything remotely like his predecessors, we are screwed.
Butch has seemed checked out all season to me. I get the feeling he may be just as done as we are.

Reactions: 4 people

Honestly, things have felt "off" since the App State game last year.

Reactions: 32 people
What is crazy about this? Its perfectly sensible.

Man some of you are so content with mediocrity that bold action scares yall. This is Tennessee. There should be nothing shocking about Butch Jones being fired this weekend if we lose to Georgia. This is year 5. He has 2 top 5 recruiting classes on campus and another 2 top 15 classes. We have a roster that is top 10-11 in talent. And yet if we lose to Georgia, we would essentially be eliminated from the SEC East divisional race before the end of September. THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE IN YEAR 5.

I hope this poster is right and John Currie is already looking at new coaches and has the go-ahead from the boosters to fire Butch Jones this Saturday if we lose to Georgia. That should be the standard at Tennessee.

Reactions: 34 people
If this is true, then Currie has already done an outstanding job.

Always have a back up plan if your current HC doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 people

Man some of you are so content with mediocrity that bold action scares yall. This is Tennessee. There should be nothing shocking about Butch Jones being fired this weekend if we lose to Georgia. This is year 5. He has 2 top 5 recruiting classes on campus and another 2 top 15 classes. We have a roster that is top 10-11 in talent. And yet if we lose to Georgia, we would essentially be eliminated from the SEC East divisional race for the end of September. THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE IN YEAR 5.

I hope this poster is right and John Currie is already looking at new coaches and has the go-ahead from the boosters to fire Butch Jones this Saturday if we lose to Georgia. That should be the standard at Tennessee.

Agreed. I honestly think he lost the locker room with the really bad situational strategy during the Florida game.

Reactions: 11 people

Man some of you are so content with mediocrity that bold action scares yall. This is Tennessee. There should be nothing shocking about Butch Jones being fired this weekend if we lose to Georgia. This is year 5. He has 2 top 5 recruiting classes on campus and another 2 top 15 classes. We have a roster that is top 10-11 in talent. And yet if we lose to Georgia, we would essentially be eliminated from the SEC East divisional race before the end of September. THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE IN YEAR 5.

Once you loose the locker room that's it. If this rumor has teeth then Currie better go ahead and rip the band aid off now. Fire Butch, install and interim and start a intensive search.

Agreed. I honestly think he lost the locker room with the really bad situational strategy during the Florida game.

This would be my guess.

I don’t think anyone checked out before the season started. You have to show up and be mentally tough to survive GA Tech, and this team showed zero quit.

But you don’t have to be a football genius to know we should have beaten Florida by 2 TD’s, and our players were in position to do so. Coaching beat us that game, and there’s no way the players don’t see that.

Reactions: 22 people
I can see Jones getting the Can early in the season for one main reason. Atleast three other Schools are about to lower the Hammer on there HC's. If UT does like always they would wait until seasons over and evey other coach is picked up. If Currie is smart and it is that bad he will do it now So he can go after the biggest and best names for the School. Instead of waiting for Dooley/Butch/Kiffin 4.0

Reactions: 2 people
Currie hasn't yet come out with the obligatory "I support my head football coach no matter what" public statement, so Butch's job is secure for now. The death knell for Butch will be when Currie does make such a public statement.

This would be my guess.

I don’t think anyone checked out before the season started. You have to show up and be mentally tough to survive GA Tech, and this team showed zero quit.

But you don’t have to be a football genius to know we should have beaten Florida by 2 TD’s, and our players were in position to do so. Coaching beat us that game, and there’s no way the players don’t see that.
That was the worst coaching I've ever seen at TN outside the 2011 Ky game.

Reactions: 15 people
I can see Jones getting the Can early in the season for one main reason. Atleast three other Schools are about to lower the Hammer on there HC's. If UT does like always they would wait until seasons over and evey other coach is picked up. If Currie is smart and it is that bad he will do it now So he can go after the biggest and best names for the School. Instead of waiting for Dooley/Butch/Kiffin 4.0

Jim Bob Cooter isn't that big name but he certainly has the best name!...I don't see Tennessee as a on the job learning experience for someone who hasn't ever been a head coach...If Butch is fired I would be extremely disappointed if Currie doesn't go after Chip Kelly...I mean its a no brainer...No buyout and he's a damn good coach who could turn us into contenders again.

Reactions: 13 people
I don't know any insiders, don't know if this is true, but I do know that "that other site" can kiss my butt for auto-playing videos. I seriously doubt anything posted there is worth paying for either.

Reactions: 6 people
Currie hasn't yet come out with the obligatory "I support my head football coach no matter what" public statement, so Butch's job is secure for now. The death knell for Butch will be when Currie does make such a public statement.

Currie isn't going to that because of message board rumors.

This would be my guess.

Butch didn't have the team prepared and almost lost to App state in the opener last season. That got things off to a rocky start. Then gets lucky a few times and the talent/leadership of Dobbs and Co bailed him out. Once Hurd hit the bench, the losses followed.

I think our issues started with Hurd. That's when Butch decided to put his own ego ahead of the teams best interest. If you're such a good recruiter, why can't you convince your own guy to stay?

Last edited:
Butch didn't have the team prepared and almost lost to App state in the opener last season. That got things off to a rocky start. Then gets lucky a few times but the talent/leadership of Dobbs and Co bailed him out. Once Hurd hit the bench, the losses followed.

I think our issues started with Hurd. That's when Butch decided to put his own ego ahead of the teams best interest. If you're such a good recruiter, why can't you convince your own guy to stay?

Other folks say the team voted Hurd off the team. That leaves Butch out of "talking him into staying "

Reactions: 1 person
If this is true, then Currie has already done an outstanding job.

Always have a back up plan if your current HC doesn't work out.

Forgive me if I am not sold on Currie making good decisions. Like I said, if a change is made, we have to hope he does his due dilligence.

Reactions: 1 person
Jim Bob Cooter isn't that big name but he certainly has the best name!...I don't see Tennessee as a on the job learning experience for someone who hasn't ever been a head coach...If Butch is fired I would be extremely disappointed if Currie doesn't go after Chip Kelly...I mean its a no brainer...No buyout and he's a damn good coach who could turn us into contenders again.

Agree completely on Kelly. The big question is, what does Currie think of Kelly?

VN Store

Back