Butch can't be conservative against UGA

tennfanatic

We need to go after punts, reverses, half back passes. He has to do whatever it takes. If he stays stubborn and refuses to not take some risks, we have very little chance of winning. We have to get a lead and let 102,000 fans rattle their true freshman QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Butch needs to coach like he has a pair. Kind of how he ended the press conference today. I feel like he is coaching for his job Saturday. I have no inside source, anything like that, just the feeling I’ve got. I want to see him coach like his head is on fire.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch needs to coach like he has a pair. Kind of how he ended the press conference today. I feel like he is coaching for his job Saturday. I have no inside source, anything like that, just the feeling I’ve got. I want to see him coach like his head is on fire.

Amen brother

I believe it was his first (or 2nd can't quite remember) where he coached aggressive...going for it on 4 multiple times, pitch to a TE on 4th and short when it looked like a QB sneak, etc. He needs to coach like that again.

Reactions: 3 people
I believe it was his first (or 2nd can't quite remember) where he coached aggressive...going for it on 4 multiple times, pitch to a TE on 4th and short when it looked like a QB sneak, etc. He needs to coach like that again.

It was year one. First time we broke out the grays. Tossed it to Neal on 4th and short and defense crashed the middle and he scampered for a solid 40 yards or so.

Agree. I recall his coming out party being against UGa a few years back. For some reason he thinks he has to be down to get creative with the offense. Damn travesty with the talent.

Call the game like the 2013 game and we'll be fine. In fact call the rest of the season like that and we'll be fine!!

Even if we lose badly, Butch will still be coach. I don't like it anymore than you men, but if he wants it (his job), he gets it.

Butch shoulda learned that laying it out there on the line and losing is far more acceptable to fans than playing conservative and losing.

When you lose balling out. You know you just couldn't do it.

When you lose playing conservative, there is always the "what if" that lingers around. That's the bad taste in your mouth a week after a game. "What if he had just went for it on 4th down? What if he had just went for 2 instead of kicking the field goal?"

We have been saying that for two seasons now just waiting for Butch to finally open up the offense and use our playmakers appropriately. Well sadly I think we have seen all that Butch's offense can do and he does not seem capable of playing our best players or managing the game.

I saw on Finebaum where we were 0-24 against top 10 teams in the last nine seasons. That ranks last in the SEC. Below the likes of Vandy, Kentucky, and Mizzou, let that sink in for a minute...

i'll say this....i think there's going to be opportunities for us to be pretty aggressive, and could be going for it on 4th down early in the game.

not sure if we'll see anything too outlandish like a fake fg or punt. not really our style, and i think if we're in a down and distance, and field position that could dictate doing something like that, we may just, as said above, go for it...

as for trick plays...we've done a few before against FL and GA in the past...so i wouldn't be shocked to see something that catches GA off guard.

but i can almost guarantee the initial game plan will be to control the ball, win field position and try to keep their offense off the field. and the longer the game is competitive, the better, and the less likely it is we'll see a lot of chances being taken.

bottom line, if we make it thru the 1st half with out seeing something like that, we probably won't.

Here’s what bothers me:

-Screens won’t work, and that’s our bread and butter. Their linebackers are too good.

-Kelly between the tackles won’t work. Kelly has to hide behind the line and try to sneak to the outside. Roquan Smith is going to spy him. Kelly is going to be tested like he’s never been tested before.

-Kirby is a Saban disciple, meaning he won’t respect the QB keep. This is where we have to develop the edge. QD absolutely HAS to keep it some, especially on short down situations. This will never happen because our staff has no clue what they’re doing, but it makes me feel better to say it out loud.

-TE’s have to be used. 2 TE sets, quick passes over the middle. We have to dink and dunk on them. This will never happen because our staff has no clue what they’re doing, but it makes me feel better to say it out loud.

-Callaway and Byrd easily have the speed to burn the UGA secondary, and they are possession guys. The ball needs to get in their hands on short passes. This will never happen because our staff has no clue what they’re doing, but it makes me feel better to say it out loud.

We can win this game. It comes down to coaching. If we scheme correctly, we actually have several advantages. This will never happen because our staff has no clue what they’re doing, but it makes me feel better to say it out loud.

We have been saying that for two seasons now just waiting for Butch to finally open up the offense and use our playmakers appropriately. Well sadly I think we have seen all that Butch's offense can do and he does not seem capable of playing our best players or managing the game.

I saw on Finebaum where we were 0-24 against top 10 teams in the last nine seasons. That ranks last in the SEC. Below the likes of Vandy, Kentucky, and Mizzou, let that sink in for a minute...

Haslam

Here’s what bothers me:

-Screens won’t work, and that’s our bread and butter. Their linebackers are too good.

-Kelly between the tackles won’t work. Kelly has to hide behind the line and try to sneak to the outside. Roquan Smith is going to spy him. Kelly is going to be tested like he’s never been tested before.

-Kirby is a Saban disciple, meaning he won’t respect the QB keep. This is where we have to develop the edge. QD absolutely HAS to keep it some, especially on short down situations. This will never happen because our staff has no clue what they’re doing, but it makes me feel better to say it out loud.

-TE’s have to be used. 2 TE sets, quick passes over the middle. We have to dink and dunk on them. This will never happen because our staff has no clue what they’re doing, but it makes me feel better to say it out loud.

-Callaway and Byrd easily have the speed to burn the UGA secondary, and they are possession guys. The ball needs to get in their hands on short passes. This will never happen because our staff has no clue what they’re doing, but it makes me feel better to say it out loud.

We can win this game. It comes down to coaching. If we scheme correctly, we actually have several advantages. This will never happen because our staff has no clue what they’re doing, but it makes me feel better to say it out loud.

Yeah I need to see if QD can really throw the ball in this game. If not then park him on the bench, bring in JG, break out his HS playbook and/or run the playaction/option with Kelly and Chandler. Spread those receivers out. If the Gawja DBs and LBs wanna commit then make those SOBs commits. As for passing hit your TE for 5 yards up and down the field. By that time they'll be daring us to try Callaway deep. I'm willing to believe he wins a few of those battles.

Yes! We have to throw the ball downfield even if we don't fully trust our QB. The truth is you have to trust them or else you don't move the ball. If we throw picks all day, change QBs until we find someone who can make the throws.

Here’s what bothers me:

well, they are very good. and fast. and if you can get them on a rush, or flowing one way, you can get out ahead on a screen, or misdirection screen. so that speed can be negated, if done correctly, and at the right time. i do not have faith that we can run those come back wr screens. i would expect to see a fair share of draw plays too to take advantage of their up the field speed.

again, against a fast defense like theirs, running at it, instead of around it, can work. depends on what you're seeing in the defensive front of course. if on early downs they're loading the box with 7, we're going to have manufacture some passing game to back those guys out of the box, so we can run. it's imperative we have success (4 yards or more) on 1st down. if we can't, we're predictable, and will go 3 and out. a lot.
i get what you're saying. and we may see him keep it a little bit early. but they don't want him getting hit a lot, and after the fumble last week probably didn't instill a ton of confidence. i expect to be frustrated by this.

i'm not even sure we'll have two TE's suited up?

well, getting byrd 3 touches against umass was a step in the right direction. but hardly enough to call him a factor. callaway is that big tall possession receiver that can use his body to get in front and get 50/50 balls. he'll have to do that Saturday. having Johnson emerge last week was a promising sign.

i get what you're saying, but there are some pretty obvious personnel match ups that just don't favor us. especially defensively. we can scheme all we want, but our deficiencies at LB are a glaring hole for opposing teams to run right at them, and see if we can stop them. even with the right calls, right scheme, it's a mismatch. and offensively, again, given how our O line has played recently (jeckyll/hyde) is the GA front 7 screaming "get right game" for that group?

now, holistically, that's the coaches' problem to figure out. but as it relates to how this game plays out....yeah, i'll agree, it'll take some great coaching, and preparation....

Chubb and michel will BUTCHer tenn defense..damn its about to get fugly..kelly is tennessees only chance to keep the score respectable

We need to go after punts, reverses, half back passes. He has to do whatever it takes. If he stays stubborn and refuses to not take some risks, we have very little chance of winning. We have to get a lead and let 102,000 fans rattle their true freshman QB.

Maybe we can try the new 10 man defense KY uses.

well, they are very good. and fast. and if you can get them on a rush, or flowing one way, you can get out ahead on a screen, or misdirection screen. so that speed can be negated, if done correctly, and at the right time. i do not have faith that we can run those come back wr screens. i would expect to see a fair share of draw plays too to take advantage of their up the field speed.

again, against a fast defense like theirs, running at it, instead of around it, can work. depends on what you're seeing in the defensive front of course. if on early downs they're loading the box with 7, we're going to have manufacture some passing game to back those guys out of the box, so we can run. it's imperative we have success (4 yards or more) on 1st down. if we can't, we're predictable, and will go 3 and out. a lot.
i get what you're saying. and we may see him keep it a little bit early. but they don't want him getting hit a lot, and after the fumble last week probably didn't instill a ton of confidence. i expect to be frustrated by this.

i'm not even sure we'll have two TE's suited up?

well, getting byrd 3 touches against umass was a step in the right direction. but hardly enough to call him a factor. callaway is that big tall possession receiver that can use his body to get in front and get 50/50 balls. he'll have to do that Saturday. having Johnson emerge last week was a promising sign.

i get what you're saying, but there are some pretty obvious personnel match ups that just don't favor us. especially defensively. we can scheme all we want, but our deficiencies at LB are a glaring hole for opposing teams to run right at them, and see if we can stop them. even with the right calls, right scheme, it's a mismatch. and offensively, again, given how our O line has played recently (jeckyll/hyde) is the GA front 7 screaming "get right game" for that group?

now, holistically, that's the coaches' problem to figure out. but as it relates to how this game plays out....yeah, i'll agree, it'll take some great coaching, and preparation....

The bolded is pretty much the only reason I only talked about offense. We can’t stop them. We have to score with them.

VN Store

Back