Let's see what happens Saturday

gasguy98

Ih8themaroonwave
I get it, fans want to win the SEC E and the SEC outright. Prolly should have beat the lizards and a boring win over a pathetic UMASS team has the future looking bleak.

Yet here we are at 3-1. I am going to watch the season play out before I get on the Butch has got to go train.

He is sitting on one heck of a class for '18. If he can give me at least 7 wins I am OK for one more chance.

HOWEVER, next year we absolutely must end the year in the top 10.

Just my thoughts as of today...

Reactions: 17 people
I get it, fans want to win the SEC E and the SEC outright. Prolly should have beat the lizards and a boring win over a pathetic UMASS team has the future looking bleak.

Yet here we are at 3-1. I am going to watch the season play out before I get on the Butch has got to go train.

He is sitting on one heck of a class for '18. If he can give me at least 7 wins I am OK for one more chance.

I'm not ok and want him gone! Just my thoughts as of today, tomorrow, next week, next month and for the season...

Reactions: 4 people

5 years of the same mistakes and you guys keep saying "one more chance."

This is the reason Tennessee stays behind. Dooley should've been gone sooner, Butch should've been gone sooner.

Don't be scared of trying to do better. How do any of you leave your houses in the mornings?

Reactions: 11 people
At this point, Butch has had his chances and it's the same old broken record. I'm not going to let college football ruin my life (like it seems some around here have), and I'm guessing by the end of the season, it will be crystal clear that it's time for a change. I'm guessing when/if that happens, it will set us back another 3-5 years, so be ready.
Tennessee Football is not for the faint of heart.

Reactions: 1 person
OP, what makes you think (with what Butch has shown thus far), that we even have a chance to finish top 10 next year with him at the helm?

Buddy he has brought in solid classes and we know he can recruit. We dont need another year lacking in player development and in game coaching blunders.

Reactions: 2 people
Here's a different perspective on things.

I just now watched the Florida game for the first time. The only thing I knew about it was what I had read on VN. And, of course, I saw the live score update at the end of the game - very frustrating.

Here's my reaction to actually watching the game. Very proud of the team effort and grit. Kelly is a beast. A few breaks went against us - could have gone the other way (e.g. the pick-6, Palmer's dropped TD pass, Kelly's dropped TD pass). That's just the way the ball bounced that day. 95 times out of 100, Kelly catches that slant pass over the middle on TN last drive for a TD and a win.

I did not feel even remotely discouraged about the team I saw at Florida. I remember the old days of being down 35 - 3 at halftime. There was none of that. I will take our chances to win a game like that against Florida every year.

Frustrated by the loss - yes. But from reading VN, I thought the world had come to an end. I got a very different feeling watching this TN team in that game for myself.

Reactions: 13 people

I just now watched the Florida game for the first time. The only thing I knew about it was what I had read on VN. And, of course, I saw the live score update at the end of the game - very frustrating.

Here's my reaction to actually watching the game. Very proud of the team effort and grit. Kelly is a beast. A few breaks went against us - could have gone the other way (e.g. the pick-6, Palmer's dropped TD pass, Kelly's dropped TD pass). That's just the way the ball bounced that day. 95 times out of 100, Kelly catches that slant pass over the middle on TN last drive for a TD and a win.

I did not feel even remotely discouraged about the team I saw at Florida. I remember the old days of being down 35 - 3 at halftime. There was none of that. I will take our chances to win a game like that against Florida every year.

Frustrated by the loss - yes. But from reading VN, I thought the world had come to an end. I got a very different feeling watching this TN team in that game for myself.

So you're one of those moral victory kinda fellas, huh?

Most of his top current commitments will be in Knoxville next season regardless of who the coach is. Just some good orange-blooded young men.

One thing's for sure, Butch has the opportunity to coach himself into another year. I'm having a hard time seeing it though. UGA looked good. I haven't seen a football team play that well in so long that it kind of mesmerized me for awhile.

We need to get behind the team and let the season play out. Whether Butch stays or we make a change, those decisions need to happen near the end of the season. It does no good to demand firing our head coach which would put our team with a bad interim situation for the rest of the season.

The only time you fire a coach before the end is if the wheels fall completely off the bus and the coach completely loses the team. We're 3-1 still and lots to play for. The season and record at the end will take care of all that.

Reactions: 3 people
At this point, Butch has had his chances and it's the same old broken record. I'm not going to let college football ruin my life (like it seems some around here have), and I'm guessing by the end of the season, it will be crystal clear that it's time for a change. I'm guessing when/if that happens, it will set us back another 3-5 years, so be ready.
Tennessee Football is not for the faint of heart.

The right hire definitely shouldn't set us back 3-5 yrs. Most coaching changes won't set you back that long especially if you fired the current guy and made a good hire. It didn't set McElwain back, Smart is in yr 2 and they are already a top 7 team, USC had a great first year under Helton and are a top 5 team. If a HC leaves on his own or retire's that is one thing but Coach's don't get 5 years anymore to turn things around with their Salaries they make. Oregon is playing better in yr 1 of their new HC. If firing a guy and hiring his replacement takes 5-6 to get things turned around then you made a bad hire.

Another thing to consider. We get rid of Jones, and...
Who takes his place? It is not like Nick Saban grows on trees. Is there a bona fide coach that can turn around a program and be contending for a Natty in 5 years NOT names Saban?

Les Miles is a buffoon that rode Sabans coattails as long as he could before being seen as a fraud.

Another thing to consider. We get rid of Jones, and...
Who takes his place? It is not like Nick Saban grows on trees. Is there a bona fide coach that can turn around a program and be contending for a Natty in 5 years NOT names Saban?

Les Miles is a buffoon that rode Sabans coattails as long as he could before being seen as a fraud.
I guess the flipside is do you settle for 8-win seasons and winning some meaningless bowl games against pedestrian competition, or do you do something to try and get better results?

I already saw this movie last year.

These are different Florida teams than the ones we fell behind again years ago. I honestly felt even worse about losing the game after watching UK go up and down the field on them. They just couldn't close it out and settled for FG's and Not TD's. This year's Flor team isn't anywhere close to being a top 25 team. After watching them Sat it had me scratching my head all over again on how Butch continues to lose those kind of games. I think the mistakes cost both teams points. The fumble into the end zone would have put UF by 17 and it's over then. There was plays and missed plays by both teams that could have put the game out of reach. And we have had that same chance the last 4 yrs vs Flor and we are 1-3. We find new ways to lose to Fla every year.S sadly we have played 4 straight games of bad football. The better teams would have run us off the field. Been frustrating to watch on both sides of the ball and the kicking game.

OP, what makes you think (with what Butch has shown thus far), that we even have a chance to finish top 10 next year with him at the helm?

Well the Florida game could have been won if Dormady didn't throw picks and Kelly catches the pass in the end zone.

One of the biggest questions this year was the QB situation and now we know why.

I do think the potential is there to finish in the top 10. Could have easily been 4-0 now if not for poor QB play and bad officiating (holding on last play of game).

I know, last year we should have won the east. I don't get the collapse against SC and Vandy, those are black marks against Jonsie for sure.

The right hire definitely shouldn't set us back 3-5 yrs. Most coaching changes won't set you back that long especially if you fired the current guy and made a good hire. It didn't set McElwain back, Smart is in yr 2 and they are already a top 7 team, USC had a great first year under Helton and are a top 5 team. If a HC leaves on his own or retire's that is one thing but Coach's don't get 5 years anymore to turn things around with their Salaries they make. Oregon is playing better in yr 1 of their new HC. If firing a guy and hiring his replacement takes 5-6 to get things turned around then you made a bad hire.

Just wondering what leads you to believe the UT AD will get it right this time?

That's fair.

Mark it down.

This Saturday.

Stay tuned...

Everybody else keep ranting but nothing will change until at least Saturday. Rednecks.

5 years of the same mistakes and you guys keep saying "one more chance."

This is the reason Tennessee stays behind. Dooley should've been gone sooner, Butch should've been gone sooner.

Don't be scared of trying to do better. How do any of you leave your houses in the mornings?

One step at a time. :good!:

Just wondering what leads you to believe the UT AD will get it right this time?

I don't know if they will or can but I do trust Currie way more than the last 2 incompetent AD's we've had in there. But all I know is if Butch couldn't atleast win the East once the last few years then he never will. The East is as bad as it has ever been. Throw in the fact we beat UF and GA last year and still couldn't win it. He has shown nothing that disproves the notion that he will never be better than a 8 win a year on average coach with very little chance of winning the East and lower tiered bowls. And to have a losing career SEC Record in year 5 is inexcusable. If we played in the West I may could see it but not being in the East.

It isn't unheard of for teams to come back from a game like this past Saturday and play really well against a much stronger opponent. UT pretty much played like they'd never played before against ASU last year then got some good wins vs UF and UGA in the following weeks.

In spite of all the dramatic appeals... Jones is very unlikely to be fired during the season and if he is it would be within the last couple of games to allow the search to start.

Nothing has really changed much from last week. He now has 9 games to win 7 to prove he's the right coach for UT. LSU's play this year makes that much more doable than we might have anticipate before the season.

A win over UGA and UT is back in the conversation for the East and a lot of the doubts begin to be dampened.

VN Store

Back