Remember When We Were Football Fans?

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
So I glance down the list of threads I may want to check out on VolNation. Here's a bit of what I find:
  • "Listening to 1180"...host says Butch wasn't focused on the game Saturday, worried about something else....
  • "Shy Tuttle injury"...fight with Nigel Warrior?
  • "Where is Jennings??" (out for season with wrist injury, but thread asks why he's not on the sideline)
  • "Is Evan Berry really hurt..." or is there something else going on?
  • "Do we blame Jalen Hurd now?"
  • "Sad State of Affairs with UT football program if true"
Drama...drama...more drama.

We apparently now live for drama, rather than football.

Ask yourself this: when did you last have a good conversation about football? You know, Xs and Os, how teams match up against each other, real football?

A few can honestly answer "today," or "yesterday." For most here, an honest answer would be "weeks" if not "months" or maybe even "I never have."

What have we become?

~ ~ ~​

Here's my theory: the internet, having a virtual "news feed" available 24/7, has released the inner housewife/househusband in some of us.

If I tried to start a conversation about two Tennessee players getting into a fist fight back when I used to work on the farm for my best friend's dad, the fellas would've said, "who cares, only thing matters is they play hard on Saturday."

Sunday to Friday was the team's time on its own. We lived our lives, they lived theirs. Only got back together on Saturday for the game.

The 24/7 news cycle changed that. Internet's ability to tune into any topic you want, any time (like Vols football) changed it even more. Now we can saturate ourselves with the lives of 11 coaches and 105 players in a way we never did before.

So somehow we started thinking that whatever snippets of information came out of the training center during the week was "following football."

And now we're addicted to The Days of Vols' Lives just like any other soap opera.

Man, I sure wish this was still about football.

EDIT: zomg, how did I miss this nugget on the first pass?
  • QD dating Butch Jones God daughter

Last edited:
Reactions: 57 people
Good afternoon Coach Jones, How did your meeting with the freshmen about attitudes go today? I'm just curious since you memtioned it in your press conference earlier today.

Reactions: 9 people
That all ended when athletes began to pretend they are actually more important to our daily lives than they actually are

Reactions: 10 people
Is what it is JP. I can choose to participate, or not.

I know you know that, just thought I'd agree. :)

Reactions: 2 people
Didn't need no welfare state
Everybody pulled his weight
Gee our old Lasalle ran great
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then
Girls were girls, and men were men
Mister we could use a man
like Herbert Hoover again.

Reactions: 7 people
Remember when the football didn’t suck?
When we get a coach that can actually coach football we will get there again.

Could be. But I'm not sure I buy that. There are just as many of these drama-focused threads after a good win as there are after a weak win or a loss.

I think the drama is probably here to stay. Sign of the times. Reality TV, fan forum version.

So the football fans and the drama fans (and a lot who are both) are just gonna have to live together at places like VN.com.

Pity. I'd much rather hang out with the football fans, even if there were only 10% as many threads. At least they'd mostly be about football.

Reactions: 3 people
I had pretty much the exact same thought a few days ago. We have too much information and many of us are not equipped to deal with it.

I even thought about starting a thread to suggest that Butch limit media access. Probably too late for him to do that, but the next coach should. I hate to say that, because as a fan I always want more coverage. Truth is, though, there's not a lot of real news Sunday through Friday. It just creates an environment where trivial information is blown out of proportion.

Reactions: 9 people
That all ended when athletes began to pretend they are actually more important to our daily lives than they actually are

I don't follow your logic, Count. You're saying that you have no choice but to follow the off-field, off-court drama of athletes because they pretend they're important to your life? So you have no say in the matter, you just start following their drama because they say so?

Is that what you mean to say?

Could be. But I'm not sure I buy that. There are just as many of these drama-focused threads after a good win as there are after a weak win or a loss.

I think the drama is probably here to stay. Sign of the times. Reality TV, fan forum version.

So the football fans and the drama fans (and a lot who are both) are just gonna have to live together at places like VN.com.

Pity. I'd much rather hang out with the football fans, even if there were only 10% as many threads. At least they'd mostly be about football.
Some people love drama, sad but true.

Reactions: 1 person
I had pretty much the exact same thought a few days ago. We have too much information and many of us are not equipped to deal with it.

I even thought about starting a thread to suggest that Butch limit media access. Probably too late for him to do that, but the next coach should. I hate to say that, because as a fan I always want more coverage. Truth is, though, there's not a lot of real news Sunday through Friday. It just creates an environment where trivial information is blown out of proportion.

I totally agree, Hacksaw.

But shutting off media access would not work. Most of the rumors (like this one about Tuttle and Warrior) aren't coming through official media access anyway. It's a friend of one of the players telling someone in his class, and that someone calling the local radio station. Then, once the reporters get the first hint of what actually happened, they're badgering players and coaching staff and AD staff until someone tells them more.

So saying "no more attending practice" won't change that at all. Sadly.

I don't think there's any putting this genie back in the bottle. Athletes used to be our entertainment on the field/court, during matches. Now they've become part of our 24/7 entertainment, and any part of their lives is fair game.

Sad.

OP, the last time I had a positive conversation about UT football was the thrilling OT win versus GA TECH with my dad weeks ago.

OP, the last time I had a positive conversation about UT football was the thrilling OT win versus GA TECH with my dad weeks ago.

Yeah, that may be the last time I joined a good football conversation, as well, come to think of it.

There were a lot of good football conversations around the Ga Tech game. Both leading up to it, and (less, but still some) after.

Talked a little football with the Indiana State fans on their board a week later, but not much.

Seems like no one has wanted to talk football since. Just gnash teeth and follow drama.

So I glance down the list of threads I may want to check out on VolNation. Here's a bit of what I find:
  • "Listening to 1180"...the host is saying Butch wasn't focused on the game Saturday, was worried about something else....
  • "Where is Jennings??" (out for season with wrist injury, but thread asks why he's not on the sideline)

Ask yourself this: when did you last have a good conversation about football? You know, Xs and Os, how teams match up against each other, real football?

A few can honestly answer "today," or "yesterday." For most here, an honest answer would be "weeks" if not "months" or maybe even "I never have."

What have we become?

~ ~ ~​

Here's my theory: the internet, having a virtual "news feed" available 24/7, has released the inner housewife/househusband in some of us.

If I tried to start a conversation about two Tennessee players getting into a fist fight back when I used to work on the farm for my best friend's dad, the fellas would've said, "who cares, only thing matters is they play hard on Saturday."

Sunday to Friday was the team's time on its own. We lived our lives, they lived theirs. Only got back together on Saturday for the game.

The 24/7 news cycle changed that. Internet's ability to tune into any topic you want, any time (like Vols football) changed it even more. Now we can saturate ourselves with the lives of 11 coaches and 105 players in a way we never did before.

So somehow we started thinking that whatever snippets of information came out of the training center during the week was "following football."

And now we're addicted to The Days of Vols' Lives just like any other soap opera.

Attachments

• giphy (2).gif
    giphy (2).gif
    841.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 17967-Audience-Clapping-Gif.gif
    17967-Audience-Clapping-Gif.gif
    100.3 KB · Views: 158
  • tenor (3).gif
    tenor (3).gif
    763.4 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: 3 people
There is truth in your words. (Stolen from josey wales)
It unfortunately applies to 24/7 news as well. Probably more so. Best thing i have done for myself is quit watching the crap news networks. Don't even turn them on.
Cant break myself away from my vols tho. Its a habit i cant break.

There is truth in your words. (Stolen from josey wales)
It unfortunately applies to 24/7 news as well. Probably more so. Best thing i have done for myself is quit watching the crap news networks. Don't even turn them on.
Cant break myself away from my vols tho. Its a habit i cant break.

Heh, same. I've tried to break away from VN.com twice, so far. Failed both times. Too interested in Tennessee football, even if some weeks there's very little of that subject to be found here.

I totally agree, Hacksaw.

But shutting off media access would not work. Most of the rumors (like this one about Tuttle and Warrior) aren't coming through official media access anyway. It's a friend of one of the players telling someone in his class, and that someone calling the local radio station. Then, once the reporters get the first hint of what actually happened, they're badgering players and coaching staff and AD staff until someone tells them more.

So saying "no more attending practice" won't change that at all. Sadly.

I don't think there's any putting this genie back in the bottle. Athletes used to be our entertainment on the field/court, during matches. Now they've become part of our 24/7 entertainment, and any part of their lives is fair game.

Sad.

You're right. But when I see how the rumor mill and swirling negativity adversely affects the coaches and players, it kind of makes me understand the more hostile attitude some of the more successful coaches seem to have (i.e., Saban).

Reactions: 4 people
  • "Listening to 1180"...the host is saying Butch wasn't focused on the game Saturday, was worried about something else....

What have we become?

~ ~ ~​

EDIT: zomg, how did I miss this nugget on the first pass?
  • QD dating Butch Jones God daughter

Amen brother.

Didn't need no welfare state
Everybody pulled his weight
Gee our old Lasalle ran great
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then
Girls were girls, and men were men
Mister we could use a man
like Herbert Hoover again.

Man, I loved that show . . . that, M*A*S*H, Barney Miller, the original Charlie's Angeles (with Jacqueline Smith), etc.

But, to some degree, JP is right. The internet has allowed us all to hear everyone's instantaneous opinion, even if we don't want to (and I am just as guilty at voicing mine as are others).

VN Store

Back