We are 3-1

TennesseeRhett

It was really, really ugly getting to 3-1, and pretty much everybody is off the Butch train. But what if, (and I understand those two words are used a lot) this team manages to beat the likes of Southern Miss, Mizzou, UK, USC and VU? That would put us at 8 wins, which is where most predicted us to be in this rebuilding year. The team certainly has the talent to do it (unrealized talent is a big reason why everyone is upset, I know). But if this team sits at 8 wins and a bowl game at the end of the year, how do you feel about it?

Reactions: 5 people
It was really, really ugly getting to 3-1, and pretty much everybody is off the Butch train. But what if, (and I understand those two words are used a lot) this team manages to beat the likes of Southern Miss, Mizzou, UK, USC and VU? That would put us at 8 wins, which is where most predicted us to be in this rebuilding year. The team certainly has the talent to do it (unrealized talent is a big reason why everyone is upset, I know). But if this team sits at 8 wins and a bowl game at the end of the year, how do you feel about it?

Good post!....I feel good about it cause I want butch to stay and bring in this next class....there's some great talent comin if butch can hold the class together!!!...hope we hang on to em!

Reactions: 6 people
The UMass game was abysmally prepared for, and poorly coached. Period. I will hold my judgement until after the Georgia game. Last chance

Reactions: 2 people

After watching the play calling, 8 wins would be a miracle.:banghead2:

Reactions: 3 people

IF we finish at 8-4 in the regular season, Butch's job will be safe. However, many folks (me included) will not be happy with losses to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and LSU. I think we should be aiming higher than the middle of the pack in the SEC. IMO, I think we lose two of the games that you list above.

Reactions: 2 people
The UMass game was abysmally prepared for, and poorly coached. Period. I will hold my judgement until after the Georgia game. Last chance

I can't agree with that. This is the best Georgia has looked in awhile.

It's a long season. I'd like to continue to pull for my team and hope they can figure something out. Crazier things have happened.

Reactions: 8 people
If the team continues to play like garbage 8 wins is a pipe dream. If we were playing any SEC team this past saturday, we would have lost by 21-28 points. Not gonna lie but I thought 8-4 or 9-3 was possible at the beginning of the season but it is looking more like 7-5 or 6-6. IMO we have the talent to get to 8 wins possibly 9, however, we are just not prepared to play and that is on the coaches.

IF we finish at 8-4 in the regular season, Butch's job will be safe. However, many folks (me included) will not be happy with losses to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and LSU. I think we should be aiming higher than the middle of the pack in the SEC. IMO, I think we lose two of the games that you list above.

LSU looks bad right now. We very well could win that one

Reactions: 1 person

8 wins should get him fired.

LSU looks bad right now. We very well could win that one

You know who else is bad? Umass. The fact that they were in it up until their literal last play of the game is extremely worrisome. Mizzou would have probably beaten us Saturday if we looked that flat against them.

You know who else is bad? Umass. The fact that they were in it up until their literal last play of the game is extremely worrisome. Mizzou would have probably beaten us Saturday if we looked that flat against them.

I didn't know that! Thank you so much for that!

The whole issue I have with the state of Tennessee football falls on Coaching. More specifically Butch’s philosophy on offense. I have been very supportive of Butch until this season. While at the GT game I saw a 1st round draft pick in John Kelly emerge and dominate from a scheme that is not complimentary to his skill set. We are on our third OC in 5 seasons and we are just as predictable today as we were year 1. We have won with talent over scheming despite ourselves. It is so frustrating to watch us line up and force feed the zone read when everyone knows QD ( Worley 2.0 ) will not beat them with his legs. They stack the box and force us to make predictable throws that are for the most part blanketed. If we win 8 I will not be satisfied, Heck if we win out I still want Butch gone because we have had the pieces to be much better the last 3 seasons and have stuck with a failing offensive philosophy ( No matter who the OC was) I want to see a coach that can change a game plan at Halftime, make smart in game decisions. Take the blame for your mistakes and not hide behind clichés and injuries. One last point I want to make. There are many that say we cant afford to let Butch go now because of the buyout or we can’t afford to buy a top tier coach. How many games do you think we can afford with less than 50k in Neyland . I would really love to know the hard numbers of concessions sales this past weekend compared to two weeks ago . If the Dawgs come out and punch us in the face the first half like they did Miss. St the stadium will be half full again come the fourth quarter. We will lose far more in Concession sales in one year than we would pay for a Great coach.

If the team continues to play like garbage 8 wins is a pipe dream. If we were playing any SEC team this past saturday, we would have lost by 21-28 points. Not gonna lie but I thought 8-4 or 9-3 was possible at the beginning of the season but it is looking more like 7-5 or 6-6. IMO we have the talent to get to 8 wins possibly 9, however, we are just not prepared to play and that is on the coaches.

I was thinking 9 as well. At this point 6 is more likely.

This is a valid point OP. We've already thrown Jones out, but our current record is about what most expected at this point.

I think the big question though is, why are we in a rebuilding year in year 5 of Butch's tenure here? "Rebuilding" is ok if you're coming off a really successful season. We are rebuilding from a couple seasons of what most consider underachieving relative to our talent. If we had beaten Vandy and South Carolina last year, Butch would probably get a little bit of a pass on rebuilding this season. But we lost both of those.

Because of what happened last year, Butch has to do something this year to move the needle. Beating South Carolina, Vandy, Southern Miss, etc doesn't move the needle. Winning those, and 2 of the 3 between Georgia, Alabama, and LSU would, even if it means we don't win the East. It would at least show he still has the team and an ability to compete with the top of the conference.

There are certain games you can win and no stat line matters, UGA, UF, Alabama, LSU, etc. The main issue to me is that Tennessee plays poor football and that will eventually lead to more losses in big games than it will win.

I can't agree with that. This is the best Georgia has looked in awhile.

Georgia is in year 2 with Kirby. Jones is in year 5. If Georgia has a superior team that is kind of the point.

I have been a huge Butch supporter. I have argued for fans to give him time, played the injury excuse last year, overlooked blatantly obvious coaching mistakes due to increasing/sustained win totals, good recruiting, etc.. This year was the year that was going to be make or break for him, at least with me. These are his guys. What I saw last week made me sick. I just can't defend it.

If he can beat, or at least look respectable against Georgia that might be enough for me to stay on board. However, getting beat soundly by a coach who is in year 2 will not be a good look, especially after the mountain of head-scratchers we have seen up to this point

My concern is this is year 5 and the same mistakes are being made year in and year out. We have always gotten the "it's my fault we will fix this" well just when do you plan on fixing it Lyle? Georgia looks way better than we go in year 2 of there coach, and Penn State took a much worse situation lost players and are ranked 4 under there current coach. So if you look at those factors tells me Butch has peaked at UT in this league I don't see him doing much better honestly.

VN Store

Back