Sad State of Affairs with UT football program if true

VolRoger

"Originally Posted by LWSVOL View Post
the coaches you want will not be an option, at any point"

This was posted yesterday in response to a post recommending we start reaching out right now to some big time coaches. The poster here is widely known on Vol Nation as someone in the know about how things are ran in the AD and amongst the big boosters. If he is correct, I don't see how one can extrapolate anything else other than the powers that be at UT don't care if this program is mediocre. As such, I wonder why we even bother supporting and watching UT athletics, much less it's biggest revenue producer, football. There are programs out there that have been able to be highly successful in the current big $$$ landscape of college football. Some have overcome probation, sanctions, poor decision making amongst their power brokers (who finally woke up and smelled the coffee i.e. Alabama and Saban), prison for its administration and former coaches (Penn State), and other soap operas like the ones we stay mired in. Yet they've come out and compete for championships - Alabama, Clemson, FSU (not this year), Oklahoma, USCw, Washington, Ohio State, Michigan, and now Penn State come to mind. Other teams with really good coaching stay competitive and/or are on the rise - TCU, now Georgia, perhaps Purdue, Oklahoma State - I'm sure there are others. Yet our team is mediocre, looks to have a ceiling of 8 regular season wins (not an average) under its current coach, and the decision makes seem to be okay with this? If that is indeed the case, then I'm not sure again why some here bother to spend $1,000s of dollars each year, waste hours of time watching crap like the UMASS game, only to hear the folks who can make this better will not do so?

Given our history, tradition, and hunger for winning among this fan base, it is almost criminal what we have had to deal with the past 10 years. Someone on another post outlined a great summary on why this job should now be very attractive to a big name coach wanting to make a change. If we keep Jones with what I suspect will be 6-6 this year, or we fire him at the end of the season and settle on another mid-major coach or an assistant, that's really all I need to know to substantiate that LWSVOL really knows what he's talking about.

Reactions: 10 people
Larry would admit he’s been wrong before. Every year there’s posts about booster this or that. 9/10 its total bull****.

I think the school’s stutter stepping during AD hire is indication of two facets paddling in opposing directions. Truth is, someone needs to step up and be the man

Reactions: 6 people
It's the red text at beginning of post.

Originally Posted by LWSVOL View Post
the coaches you want will not be an option, at any point"

I doubt anyone who has close ties to the boosters and/or administration would post behind the scenes info on a message board. JMO

Reactions: 6 people
LWS was merely giving his opinion. He has been, in the past, castigated for this. He was for a time, plugged in to the administration........but not sure if he still is. I have found his posts to be spot on. Again, this is his opinion and not something the admin said. Having said that, I believe what he says, and value his opinion.

Reactions: 4 people
If there is a coaching search at the end of the season, bringing Fulmer in this year was likely a mistake IMO.

No high level coach is going to want him looking over their shoulder and would demand full control over the program.

Reactions: 2 people
Oh so the red text is the words of LWS? Gotcha.

I wonder why LWS didnt start a thread?

Ooooohhh. Now I get it. I though the"View Post" was supposed to be a link to his post and the one line about the coaches was just the title of his post.

Did he elaborate any on why coaches we would want would not be available?

Sorry, still on the Monday morning coffee. Not enough caffeine in system yet.

Last edited:
Ooooohhh. Now I get it. I though got Thur "View Post" was supposed to be a link to his post and the one line about the coaches was just the title of his post.

Did he elaborate any on why coaches we would want would not be available?

Sorry, still on the Monday morning coffee. Not enough caffeine in system yet.

All good man, just messin with you. We all need to laugh at this point.

So, if a bunch of 18-20 year men, let's say "decide to not give their all" and let's assume CBJ and crew have coached them up, is it because the coach has "lost" the team or a bunch of men who just don't have that fire in their belly?

I can attest to what I know about Millennials, I have hired and raised two and although I tried my best as a Dad to instill a good work ethic, spiritual inspiration, and to personify a good example. Their friends both personal and digital have a bigger influence that me or their mother.

I don't know how these men were raised, and I do believe that Butch and company have the desire to coach them up, but let's play devils advocate here for a second. What if it is the players, they are not getting what they want, enough playing time, being made to attend classes and practicing......very hard. I can see a certain % of these men to be less than happy and in-turn they are a cancer of bad attitudes. We've seen it here before when one Alpha Male (Kelly Washington comes to mind) and the team is divided internally.

I don't think there is any magic pixie dust a coach can sprinkle to erase 18 years of spoiling your child, and they are the best player on their team in High School and then all of sudden they are surrounded by a bunch of other players who feel they deserve to start.............I am thinking JG as being that person who is behind the scenes telling people CBJ made promises that he is not keeping, he is in a position of influence, probably has some friends who agree with him and now QD and JB are at odds.

You can see the discontent from JG on the sideline, and who is talking to him and who is NOT talking to him.

Back to my original thought, I've hired and fired more than I can count of today's youth and working to get somewhere is 1 out of 10. If this formula is true, CBJ is dealing with a bunch of disgruntled athletes who were told they could "compete", but that went in one ear and out the other. 3* to 5* doesn't matter, you can tell who has the where with all to compete and those that get a little boo boo and sit out.

JMO..but I am thinking Butch is having leadership issues, and there is no Coach that can solve 18 years of bad attitude. So how much responsibility should the players own to perform?

Last edited:
So, if a bunch of 18-20 year men, let's say "decide to not give their all" and let's assume CBJ and crew have coached them up, is it because the coach has "lost" the team or a bunch of men who just don't have that fire in their belly?

I can attest to what I know about Millennials, I have hired and raised two and although I tried my best as a Dad to instill a good work ethic, spiritual inspiration, and to personify a good example. Their friends both personal and digital have a bigger influence that me or their mother.

I don't know how these men were raised, and I do believe the Butch and company have the desire to coach them up, but let's play devils advocate here for a second. What if it is the players, they are not getting what they want, enough playing time, being made to attend classes and practicing......very hard. I can see a certain % of these men to be less than happy and in-turn they are a cancer of bad attitudes. We've seen it here before when one Alpha Male (Kelly Washington comes to mind) and the team is divided internally.

I don't think there is any magic pixie dust a coach can sprinkle to erase 18 years of spoiling your child, and they are the best player on their team in High School and then all of sudden they are surrounded by a bunch of other players who feel they deserve to start.............I am thinking JG as being that person who is behind the scenes telling people CBJ made promises that he is not keeping, he is in a position of influence, probably has some friends who agree with him and not QD and JB are at odds.

You can see the discontent from JG on the sideline, and who is talking to him and who is NOT talking to him.

Back to my original thought, I've hired and fired more than I can count of today's youth and working to get somewhere is 1 out of 10. If this formula is true, CBJ is dealing with a bunch of disgruntle athletes who were told they could "compete", but that went in one ear and out the other. 3* to 5* doesn't matter, you can tell who has the where with all to compete and those that get a little boo boo and sit out.

JMO..but I am thinking Butch is having leadership issues, and there is no Coach that can solve 18 years of bad attitude. So how much responsibility should the players own to perform?

Top teams in the country don't seem to be having this issue. Leadership starts at the top

Reactions: 7 people
I read LWS's post. It is what the OP had in red in reference to some 'big name' coaches..

Larry is CORRECT. It only changes when the UT admin gets off their arses and makes a real commitment to fielding a championship caliber program (like Bama and Clemson). Until that happens they might as well just keep Butch. That's better than going thru another cycle of bargain basement, mid major, diamond in the rough coach only to be right back in the same situation 4-5 years later..

I don't know how these men were raised, and I do believe the Butch and company have the desire to coach them up, but let's play devils advocate here for a second. What if it is the players, they are not getting what they want, enough playing time, being made to attend classes and practicing......very hard. I can see a certain % of these men to be less than happy and in-turn they are a cancer of bad attitudes. We've seen it here before when one Alpha Male (Kelly Washington comes to mind) and the team is divided internally.

I don't think there is any magic pixie dust a coach can sprinkle to erase 18 years of spoiling your child, and they are the best player on their team in High School and then all of sudden they are surrounded by a bunch of other players who feel they deserve to start.............I am thinking JG as being that person who is behind the scenes telling people CBJ made promises that he is not keeping, he is in a position of influence, probably has some friends who agree with him and not QD and JB are at odds.

Back to my original thought, I've hired and fired more than I can count of today's youth and working to get somewhere is 1 out of 10. If this formula is true, CBJ is dealing with a bunch of disgruntle athletes who were told they could "compete", but that went in one ear and out the other. 3* to 5* doesn't matter, you can tell who has the where with all to compete and those that get a little boo boo and sit out.

Ahhh the old every generation after us sucks. 22 years in the Marine Corps reaching the top echelon of enlisted ranks and i can say todays generation is just fine. Certainly different than us older people. But every generation has their segment of "different" people.

Other coaches seem to not have an issue developing todays generation, but ours clearly is....

Reactions: 15 people

VN Store

Back