The good, bad, and ugly

tabrams

Supportin' the Cause
Going to give views from all sides or attempt to here:

1. Defense looks much better... 7 sacks.. Shoop looking good 2 weeks in a row...

2. Without Evan Berry kick return is not as special... chandler is very fast but young... callaway at punt return couldn't get enough blocks to get loose

3. Punting is the best since Colquitt kids

4. Special teams coverage are good as usual under Butch... only 1-2 glitches so far this year...

5. Field goals are horrendous... worst I've ever seen at TN since Lincoln choked out a year or two.... looked like D2 kickers... they both are pitiful...we should hv studs not duds by now!

6. Guaratano is overrated bigtime... not SEC quality right now..... JC level or low level D2... needs 1-2 years... my feeling is that he's a jerk and not a team player...acts like a baby on sidelines and when he comes in the team looks upset and lifeless....

He needs to Be strongly demoted to #2.. better for him to transfer then play when he is horrible...

7. Oline has some great players and some horrible players... my guess is some of these guys are not trained correctly.... I think not having a strength coach for a year or two really hurt some lazy oline guys... also Mahoney really screwed them Up too...

Going to take time to get them better as a whole... maybe by end of year IMO.... I hate that but some of these backups are horrible!

8. We miss Shierion Jones (spelling?).. he shld be #2 right now... bc he was a true dual Threat... he cld be coming in and doing more running in certain situations... vocal Leader not a cry baby.... big Mistake to Let him go...

9. Attrition - way too much talent leaving UT... red flag there.... could be a sign Jones doesn't hv a great staff.... not talking about kids that stink either.... but good players leaving too often.... I think Shoop and company can get it done this year but OC Scott was a joke of a hire...

10. I cannot see Butch ever winning 10 games... 8-9 wins is his max bc he doesn't hv a good OC, special teams can't hit field goals, recruiting is good but not great, too many players don't improve much, and too many players leave the program.....

I think he could cure this by hiring a stud OC/ Qback Coach.... get rid of Canales and Scott... hire a special teams/ TE coach...get a new LB coach....

Ironic that Butch will probably lose his job bc his offense is not good enough and he's an offensive coach...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I don't think we've seen enough of a sample of JG to consider him "overrated big time" or "not ready yet." Sure he needs to clean up the sideline body language but he's not played enough to warrant harsh criticism.

Reactions: 3 people
I've seen plenty of him
Zero awareness
Zero speed
Zero accuracy
Zero leadership and communication
Zero good vibes

Needs to stay on the pine

I don't think we've seen enough of a sample of JG to consider him "overrated big time" or "not ready yet." Sure he needs to clean up the sideline body language but he's not played enough to warrant harsh criticism.

We've seen enough to see that he is an "individual" player!

Reactions: 2 people

Not being developed is causing him not to be ready

Can anyone name the HUGE difference between the first 2 weeks and the past 2 weeks on defense? The D Line is actually on the line! It makes so much sense now.

Reactions: 1 person

Looks like Hurd 2.0... hope in wrong but doesn't look good for the team..

Reactions: 1 person

I think we have. He's had opportunities and every time he gets one he displays that he is not ready yet. He's young tho and has plenty of time to mature and learn and develop.

Can anyone name the HUGE difference between the first 2 weeks and the past 2 weeks on defense? The D Line is actually on the line! It makes so much sense now.

They've always lined that way you're just now noticing.

Name that coach...

Not being developed is causing him not to be ready

You are correct.

Surely the coaches know where he is (in his development progression); however they are giving him too many RPO's for where he is at. Tennessee has set run plays, set pass plays and a bunch of RPO's. When QD has been in he should have been given mostly set run plays (either hand offs, or QB runs.......not read runs but dedicated runs), and set pass plays.

No QB development? I guess not when you have a RB/TE coach thats working with them. Canales sucks and his hure is as bad as Scotts promotion to OC.

Biggest problem i see is there doesn't seem to be a team concept on this team. Just a bunch of me... Now is that because Butch made them promises that he's since broken, or are they all just selfish crybabies. Either way still points right at you know who.

The Good- John Kelly.

The Bad- The fact we have little else than John Kelly. The defense is painfully slow in a couple of areas. Played better against weak competition. We're going to see that change this week.

The Ugly- 5 years in and we look like Cincinnati south.. Woeful personnel decisions. The fact Butch never settled on a QB. That's one reason the offense has struggled so bad. Buckle up we're in for a rough year.

I do..3 series and 2 3 and outs a fumble and 1 5 an out for 10 yrds

VN Store

Back