Jones thought the O...

sjt18

... just needed a spark.

That's what he said when asked why he put JG in and basically wasted three possessions and put the game even more in jeopardy. So what was it that made him think that? The previous possession ended up with a FG. At that point, UT had scored on 3 of its last 4 possessions. QD was finding a little rhythm in the passing game as UMass loaded up to stop the run. Jones insisted on running in spite of the fact that UT was getting no push against a loaded box.

The final straw appeared to be the attempt by Dormady to draw an INT by throwing short to Chandler. Maybe Jones was hacked off that he didn't run for the 1st down. He might have made it but he was being pursued by someone from behind.

My point is that if a change was going to be made... why change the one thing that was working and put in a guy not as good at that but perhaps better at what WAS NOT WORKING? Did Jones think that UMass would load the box less against a QB more likely to run and less accomplished in throwing the ball?

Among all of the other things... I just can't make sense of this decision. Is it possible he just reacted emotionally because Dormady didn't run for that first down? He said in his post-game that it was an accumulation of things that led to the decision. But watching back over the video... it was the stubborn playcalling that appeared to stifle UT's O. They kept running on first down and putting the O behind the sticks. When they let Dormady start throwing the short routes, they started moving the ball.

Reactions: 5 people
He's proving more and more he can't handle the X's and O's of coaching.

Reactions: 12 people
Jones is an idiot. I can't listen to his press conferences anymore. It makes me hate him even more. Dude says more stupid stuff than Dooley, and that is a freaking hard feat to accomplish.

Reactions: 13 people
QD definitely should have run the ball on that play. Would have easily picked up the first down.

Reactions: 4 people
Don't know if Giants will win or not but Eli has been pounded first two games and they went to no huddle hurry up quick strike passes and it worked. We need to try something different.

Don't know if Giants will win or not but Eli has been pounded first two games and they went to no huddle hurry up quick strike passes and it worked. We need to try something different.

They did at the end of the 1st half. That remained available for the rest of the game. UT's run game was going nowhere. I know that offended Jones. He was probably angry that his OL couldn't push UMass around. But it doesn't explain the decision to switch QB's. Dormady was moving the O... so Jones' response was to switch to JG who couldn't make the reads and throws to do what you suggest.

IIRC, you are a JG guy. But those 7 drives illustrate why he's not ready. If anything, those passes were MORE open once he came in. He just doesn't have the ability to "see it" yet. He may never for all we know. That is a talent that has to be possessed and developed just like being able to run or throw. UMass was intentionally pressing him to pass by shutting down the run. They didn't believe he could hurt them throwing the ball... and his 3 drives proved them right.

They did at the end of the 1st half. That remained available for the rest of the game. UT's run game was going nowhere. I know that offended Jones. He was probably angry that his OL couldn't push UMass around. But it doesn't explain the decision to switch QB's. Dormady was moving the O... so Jones' response was to switch to JG who couldn't make the reads and throws to do what you suggest.

IIRC, you are a JG guy. But those 7 drives illustrate why he's not ready. If anything, those passes were MORE open once he came in. He just doesn't have the ability to "see it" yet. He may never for all we know. That is a talent that has to be possessed and developed just like being able to run or throw. UMass was intentionally pressing him to pass by shutting down the run. They didn't believe he could hurt them throwing the ball... and his 3 drives proved them right.
Right now JG is a better version of redshirt Peterman and Peterman developed some it just takes longer to click . Hopefully JG will stay and he will continue to learn.

Reactions: 2 people

It also seems like the players have a different vibe the few times he has been on the field...at least it looks that way to me.

Maybe he thought, fine, the crowd is screaming Guarantano let's show the crowd why QD is the starter ;-)

I thought it was stupid too. QD wasn't playing bad and the a couple of the the recent drives were killed by penalties when we were moving the ball (i.e., offensive PI on Smith). This was a weird offensive game. Our O-line couldn't seem to make holes for JK. Also, I just don't understand why we don't try to get JK on the edge more. We run the same running plays over and over with little to no gain hoping JK will break something.

Another thing I don't get, we never do anything to try and draw the d off-sides. There was a 3rd and 5 in the second half that I guarantee you if we had a hard count instead of the hand clapping, we would have made the jump. I get clapping hands on the road, but at home?? Teams continually are timing the snaps on us, drives me crazy. That makes it hard on the O line.

Reactions: 1 person
It also seems like the players have a different vibe the few times he has been on the field...at least it looks that way to me.

The announcers mentioned that. If he has that Jersey edge to him... it may not play with all of the players.

Desperately trying to keep a backup from transferring, that there's a better than 50% chance he won't coach after this year.

Freshmen play at QB and have success in systems like UT's. RS FR definitely do. He's at least a little behind the curve. Jones treated P Wms and Hurd like prima donnas IMO. Every time he does it... he gets burned. His best bet is to just coach the kid straight up and let the chips fall where they may.

UT has two commits and an outside shot at the #1 ranked DT QB in 2018. Some have said the other QB has the "it" factor... For all the handwringing, UT may be recruiting over JG as we speak.

Maybe he thought, fine, the crowd is screaming Guarantano let's show the crowd why QD is the starter ;-)

I thought it was stupid too. QD wasn't playing bad and the a couple of the the recent drives were killed by penalties when we were moving the ball (i.e., offensive PI on Smith). This was a weird offensive game. Our O-line couldn't seem to make holes for JK. Also, I just don't understand why we don't try to get JK on the edge more. We run the same running plays over and over with little to no gain hoping JK will break something.

Another thing I don't get, we never do anything to try and draw the d off-sides. There was a 3rd and 5 in the second half that I guarantee you if we had a hard count instead of the hand clapping, we would have made the jump. I get clapping hands on the road, but at home?? Teams continually are timing the snaps on us, drives me crazy. That makes it hard on the O line.

I complained about Thomas when he was the starter and was relieved when he didn't start this year. This game... serves as a reminder. This team has to have Robertson at C. He may be the most important offensive player at this point.

Not sure exactly what they were doing with the constant substitutions in this game. IMO, they needed to take a look at Boulware over Jones... but the rest seemed to be working pretty good most of the time.

He’s full of **** too. Dormady had just went on a 7/7 drive.

This. We just completed our best drive of the game and his first thought is to take out Dormady and put in JG because we needed a spark? He is a fraud. I know that's harsh but I am getting more and more frustrated with each passing game.

This. We just completed our best drive of the game and his first thought is to take out Dormady and put in JG because we needed a spark? He is a fraud. I know that's harsh but I am getting more and more frustrated with each passing game.

I would put a hundy on him putting in JG only because he promised him he would play.

Freshmen play at QB and have success in systems like UT's. RS FR definitely do. He's at least a little behind the curve. Jones treated P Wms and Hurd like prima donnas IMO. Every time he does it... he gets burned. His best bet is to just coach the kid straight up and let the chips fall where they may.

UT has two commits and an outside shot at the #1 ranked DT QB in 2018. Some have said the other QB has the "it" factor... For all the handwringing, UT may be recruiting over JG as we speak.

I don't think him being a RSFR has anything to do with it.

Kids getting antsy and he doesn't give the team a better chance to win than QD at this point. Putting him in at that point made no sense otherwise.

Jones talked himself into a box by saying how much they needed to play JG and get him involved in the offense prior to the UMass game. Jones is his own worst enemy when he opens his mouth.

He played himself and the team into a real bind by all of QB competition talk and promising to get both QB's playing time.

wait i don't get it... So he gives JG a shot and he's a bad coach because of it?
He doesn't give JG a shot and he's a bad, conservative coach for refusing to give him a chance?

You know you can't have this both ways, Volnation.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back