Why are we down in year five?

Volfan2012

Bama graduates players every season and just reload and win 12 or more games.
In year five we should be in the reload phase of the program not having a decent season then back to a weak team while players develop.
Players should be developed to step in and this is one of the major problems with the Butch Jones program. A lot of players not SEC ready this season even though their time to play.

Reactions: 1 person
In year five we should be in the reload phase of the program not having a decent season then back to a weak team while players develop.
Players should be developed to step in and this is one of the major problems with the Butch Jones program. A lot of players not SEC ready this season even though their time to play.

Are you serious? You really don't know the answer?

Well, for one, we aren't Bama. Even though we've been recruiting well under Butch, we aren't them.

The development has been lack-luster and we have a pretty significant injury problem in the program.

We lost three games in 2015 because of bad coaching decisions.

We lost three games in 2016 because of injuries.

Between coaching and injury debacles, it's hard to put together 10+ wins routinely.

Last edited:
Well, for one, we aren't Bama. Even though we've been recruiting well under Butch, we aren't them.

The development has been lack-luster and we have a pretty significant injury problem in the program.

Some of the injury problems are about being being soft and not being the aggressor, I think. Probably some S&C issues sprinkled in as well.

Some of the injury problems are about being being soft and not being the aggressor, I think. Probably some S&C issues sprinkled in as well.

Someone on here pointed out right before the season started (I wish I could find the original post) that because of injuries we've had to start younger/undeveloped players earlier, who get injuries earlier in their career and carry those into their Jr/Sr years. Rinse, repeat, for the past 2-3 years.

Reactions: 2 people
Someone on here pointed out right before the season started (I wish I could find the original post) that because of injuries we've had to start younger/undeveloped players earlier, who get injuries earlier in their career and carry those into their Jr/Sr years. Rinse, repeat, for the past 2-3 years.

Every year? That's part of development!

The lack of basic fundamentals on both sides of the ball. That is a coaching problem. The defense is slow and has no punch when they tackle. I said that to say this. Take these same players under Saban, Myers, Patrino or Harbaugh and you have a top five team.

Between coaching and injury debacles, it's hard to put together 10+ wins routinely.

Regarding your first line...Clemson and others shown you can recruit and develop to that level. Quit acting like impossible to beat them and compete with them. It's just about having right coach and support behind them.

Regarding your first line...Clemson and others shown you can recruit and develop to that level. Quit acting like impossible to beat them and compete with them. It's just about having right coach and support behind them.

Where did I say that?

OP asked why we're down in year five and then mentioned Alabama like Sabans grow on trees.

I think more injuries are happening due to lack of player rotation. Players are getting 80+ snaps but yet we wonder why they're getting hurt

Doug Matthews addressed this problem this morning on the radio. If your are interested listen to his podcast.

Where did I say that?

OP asked why we're down in year five and then mentioned Alabama like Sabans grow on trees.

It sounded like you are saying we are second fiddle to Alabama. I just pointed Clemson out saying it is ok to have that level of expectation that you seemed to be negating. Sorry if misinterpreted.

Butch. Jones.

Lack of Player development, scheme esp OL, NO confidence, lack of consistency in execution as well as S&C program

The common denominator is Botch, but its not just one thing

Not only do bammer get the best and develop and play them in the right spot....but Saban doesn't make excuses and sale it to the fans, players, media

We tried to redshirt Dobbs and were unable. Our top two receivers that should be here - one in the pros, one injured.
our only decent middle linebacker out for the year and breaking in an untried, as far as I know rookie oc.

Fickle fans are fleeing and not supportive, and lastly no one should ever be compared to Alabama. Don't get me wrong Saban and staff do a great job but 7 number one recruiting classes in a row -- that's why there are people at Alabama that can step in when one goes down. Their backups are honestly better than the other teams starters.

Just some random thoughts --

We pay enough to be Bama. But to be honest, we aren't trying to be bama. We just want to win a division that is so weak it won't even come within 20 points of beating Bama.

And, that's crap.

VN Store

Back