Where I am with Butch Jones...

37620VOL

Barely-Known Member
I want to see year 5 completely played out through the Vandy game.

If things don't improve, then we need to try to find a better coach. We need this coach in our pocket before letting Jones go, and the key thing is that he needs to be an upgrade. I don't want to fire and hope for the best.

It will be looked on favorably by the coaching community that we gave him a fair shot with his own players. We should be able to attach a top coach, and we should be prepared to pay for a top coach.

There's always a chance Jones turns this around. Maybe a slim chance, but I do want to give him until 0:00 of the 4th quarter of the Vandy game.

Reactions: 8 people
I don't care about where you are with Butch, but if you're with him, then tell him he sucks and kick him in his gonads.

Reactions: 5 people

If things don't improve, then we need to try to find a better coach. We need this coach in our pocket before letting Jones go, and the key thing is that he needs to be an upgrade. I don't want to fire and hope for the best.

It will be looked on favorably by the coaching community that we gave him a fair shot with his own players. We should be able to attach a top coach, and we should be prepared to pay for a top coach.

There's always a chance Jones turns this around. Maybe a slim chance, but I do want to give him until 0:00 of the 4th quarter of the Vandy game.

Not me. If we get our asses kicked by Georgia next week, and we likely will, I say bring in Phil as an interim and salvage a decent season while Currie looks for Butch's replacement. The writing is on the wall, and Butch Jones just isn't the guy.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, let's wait until everyone else has made their decisions to fire their coaches. That'll be awesome.

Reactions: 7 people
Not me. If we get our asses kicked by Georgia next week, and we likely will, I say bring in Phil as an interim and salvage a decent season while Currie looks for Butch's replacement. The writing is on the wall, and Butch Jones just isn't the guy.

That scares me. What if Phil or the interim win out except for Bama? Then there's pressure to give them a long-term contract. I'd rather ride it out with Jones until we find a permanent solution.

Yeah, let's wait until everyone else has made their decisions to fire their coaches. That'll be awesome.

That argument only makes sense if I said wait until the bowl game, which I didn't. Are big name hires usually made mid season?

For example Urban Meyer was announced as OSU head coach 11-28-11. The Vandy game is 11-25-17.

Last edited:
There is something very important about this year that is different from every other previous year. There is an early signing period in December. If we wait, there is a good chance we lose several recruits right before signing. If we pull the trigger early, we will lose some, but plenty of time to reel them back with a big name floating around and a hire right at the end of the season. This doesn't need to drag out.

I think he gets that chance no matter if were 4 and 7 going into the Vandy game. I don't see us making a change after the next game as we'll still have a winning record. By the time we lose to SC and Bama to be at 3 and 4 then will be to late in the season to make a change and we'll play it out.

Easier said than done.

A potential new coach will have several other options at that point in time. Bargaining power for him.

We may need that "one in our pocket" to commit to a contract sooner than 0:00 in the Vandy game.

Last edited:
That scares me. What if Phil or the interim win out except for Bama? Then there's pressure to give them a long-term contract. I'd rather ride it out with Jones until we find a permanent solution.

No, there is no pressure to retain. Particularly if the remainder of the season is used to go get the RIGHT coach while the interim coach sets the table. Recruiting is managed and (hopefully) the games are finally managed.

Retaining Lyle just makes the process slower. Coaches do not like to discuss jobs that are not open.

This is my stance as well. I think this weekend he may be coaching for his job. That won’t be known until the end of the season though.

Lol goodness

Excellent post and mirrors my thoughts exactly.

If at the end of the season this team has lost more than 3 games moving beyond the CBJ era may be possible without scaring off other coaches and recruits.

Many posters on here want him fired now to ensure he can't turn it around and prove them wrong.

There is something very important about this year that is different from every other previous year. There is an early signing period in December. If we wait, there is a good chance we lose several recruits right before signing. If we pull the trigger early, we will lose some, but plenty of time to reel them back with a big name floating around and a hire right at the end of the season. This doesn't need to drag out.

While I agree with your predicate, the idea of making a hiring decision based on the timing of recruiting season nauseates me.

See Dooley, Derek.

I would like to know why you think this would work? This doesn’t work out well more times than not. Not being a smart aleck, I would seriously like to hear your thoughts on why this strategy would work better than cutting him loose at season’s end. IMO if I’m a high profile coach and Tennessee calls after firing their head coach mid season that has won 9 games back to back and done what Butch has, I wouldn’t want to come here. That last statement does not mean I’m content with the results that we have been given by Butch, I’m just saying I feel that would be a major drawback for a coach worth his salt.

Phil? As in Fulmer? Oh the irony.

I'll bet Johnny Majors would have a damn field day giving interviews about CPF if that were to happen.

And didn't the Internet fans and John Currie already run Coach Fulmer off already?

Im willing to bet this is where the overwhelming majority of people are.

However, either its more fun for people, or it creates better vn post if we assume everyone is on the extreme of the view they tend to express. Not sure which.

However, either its more fun for people, or it creates better vn post if we assume everyone is on the extreme of the view they tend to express. Not sure which.

With some its neither. They're just extreme batshcitz silly emotional asshats.

And coach worth having isn't going to agree to come here while the current coach is still employed. Maybe you get someone slimy like Kiffin or Petrino that way.

I don't get this. About every sports analyst out there before the beginning of the season called this somewhat of a rebuilding year for UT. We were expected by almost all of them to lose to Fla, Ga, Bama, and LSU. So far, they're right.

So you people think it would really be attractive to a big name coach out there to fire the guy because he won a close game he should have blown out?

If I were a big name in the coaching industry (and I assume everybody is panting for Kelly), and I had prospects involving two or three programs, it's not likely I'd choose the school that fired their coach after a 3-1 start after back to back nine win seasons.

I'd pretty much assume they had a fan base that can't be pleased and are too impatient to let a program grow and continue to develop. I'm not sold on Jones being the long-term answer for us, but let's let him fail before we kick him to the curb.

Nothing happening until at least the end of season imo. My guess is that he's more likely than not our coach for the 2018 season. Between likely winning 7 or so games this year and a huge buyout, just don't see any way he's not our coach this time next year.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back