Captains, leaders, and bosses

WesternNCVol

I see Butch as a boss and not a leader.

Leaders set the tone and see that the right behavior/job/task/etc is carried out top to bottom.

Bosses see that they get their way no matter the outcome.

Butch seems to fail at changing scheme to match player strength. He always hires "his guys" who will be yes men.

This bleeds over to the captains or lack thereof.

The players need a peer who leads. The lack of full time captains is a bad thing and sets the wrong tone on the field. If the team had two full time captains who could set the tone I think the team would play better.

There are really no formal or informal leaders on this team.

It's sad to see so many talented players being uninspired to perform at their peak and sad to see no one with a strong enough personality to demand the best from their team.

End of rant.

Reactions: 2 people
I've had crappy bosses. I have not had crappy leaders.

Leaders depend on their people. Managers (bosses) depend on systems and statistics. Managers that know the limitations of those systems and statistics can be good leaders.

Butch is easy to understand if you were old enuf for 1960s and 70's Tv Dads.
Like Andy of Mayberry and Sgt Carter ....Butch is the old mans man traditional type but more talky and emotional.
Coming from a law and order background, he likes things ordered. And, in a smaller more easily manageable environment, he can thrive.
But, I'm afraid, the stage at UT is just too big.
Butch is far from stupid, but he does not have a superior intellect. He does have some very good people skills that really helps him in recruiting.
But, he's just too structured and too stubborn to make quick changes. Especially on the fly in a game.

He's our 8 win guy.
I'm thankful to him for getting us back there.
Now, our Administration has to decide if there's a 10 win guy out there that we want and will want us.

Reactions: 1 person
I know the type you speak of and respect that type of man.

I don't think Butch was a bad hire given where we were and I appreciate all he has done. He could turn this all around Saturday with a good win over Georgia and finish 9-3 or 10-2, but I am afraid he has lost the fans, and will soon loose the team.

I feel he has peaked and can't take UT to the championship level everyone wants. I don't feel bad for him as it's his fault. He's likely had an open checkbook to hire big time coordinators and let them build the staff the need, but he must control everything and control freaks don't always make it.

If Butch is let go, I won't remember him in a nergative context like I do with Dooley.

I'll remember him as a hard worker, who recruited his tail off, but just didn't have what it takes to succeed here.

Regardless, he brought us back from the dumps. For that, I'll always look back positevly on him.

VN Store

Back