I don't want a new coach

Eddie Vol Halen

Senior Life Champion
.... if the UTAD is not serious about the only global brand at the University of Tennessee.

I've been on record for five years on the Botchfense. I've probably been #2 behind D4H in praise of Dobbs and said he bailed out the Botchfense for four years. As much as I don't want to see another hand-off from a standing start, I also don't care for us to trawl the OVC and Sun Belt for another snake oil diamond in the rough. We don't find those guys and we never have.

I want to see UTAD understand in the era of the SEC Network, in the era of big TV money, it's time to invest in a big time coach. I want to see and know that they know the times have changed and to beat Saban et al you need to attract and retain Saban level coaching.

I was an Original Grudenite (check your Grudentude) and would be thrilled if UTAD made a serious play for him even if he doesn't work out as some feel is inevitable. I want to know that UTAD recognizes the new realities and is ready to compete with the best. Going after a Gruden, Kelly, or Stoops is what is required this year.

If we're going to trawl for Butch 2 or Derek Stooley again to hell with it. Just promote Scott or Hoke and see what happens. Currie already has huge decade-long decisions to make and I have been doubtful from the beginning. He is marinated in the Hamilton way; let's see if he is his own man.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 people
Will be interesting to see how the new AD operates if things continue to head south.

Agree. Our fan base and players deserve great coaching, and a great team. No more mid-major coaches!!!!! Pay out the nose to get a good one, and in the end the pay-off will be huge.

.... if the UTAD is not serious about the only global brand at the University of Tennessee.

I've been on record for five years on the Botchfense. I've probably been #2 behind D4H in praise of Dobbs and said he bailed out the Botchfense for four years. As much as I don't want to see another hand-off from a standing start, I also don't care for us to trawl the OVC and Sun Belt for another snake oil diamond in the rough. We don't find those guys and we never have.

I want to see UTAD understand in the era of the SEC Network, in the era of big TV money, it's time to invest in a big time coach. I want to see and know that they know the times have changed and to beat Saban et al you need to attract and retain Saban level coaching.

I was an Original Grudenite (check your Grudentude) and would be thrilled if UTAD made a serious play for him even if he doesn't work out as some feel is inevitable. I want to know that UTAD recognizes the new realities and is ready to compete with the best. Going after a Gruden, Kelly, or Shoop is what is required this year.

If we're going to trawl for Butch 2 or Derek Stooley again to hell with it. Just promote Scott or Hoke and see what happens. Currie already has huge decade-long decisions to make and I have been doubtful from the beginning. He is marinated in the Hamilton way; let's see if he is his own man.

Totally agree if were not going bigtime just keep Butch. Heck he can get us to the Music City Bowl or even a little higher every season. We don't need anymore Kiffins, Dooleys, or Fooleys as football coach. It has to be a guy that can get the job done. Alabama hired Saban payed him huge money and has profited eight times over what they have paid him.

Reactions: 5 people
Any coach can see the opportunity at UT.

They are two ADs past Fulmer. The Dooley debacle is long gone. Butch has shown the UT is a great platform to recruit to and erased the Fulmer myth.

It really is a matter of $$. Will UT pony up to clean house and hire a proven coach. I'd throw $5-$6 million at Gary Patterson and make him say no.

Reactions: 1 person
I think you mean going after Stoops is needed OP. You typed Shoop. At least I hope that was autocorrect or accidental. :eek:lol:

Great post EVH. Your points are gospel.

Let the Gruden threads commence! His time has come.

Reactions: 5 people
Completely agree. We must have a homerun hire able to compete with Bama and everyone else Year 1 (the real Year 1, no excuses). I do not want to buy out another coach's contract so IMHO there are 3 coaches, only 3, that fit that bill (in no particular order):

- Gruden
- C. Kelly (w/ Helfrich as OC)
- B. Stoops

If the admin/ boosters won't pony up then keep running this circus until CBJs contract runs out or he skips town and they can make another meh hire if it's not an absolute homerun hire. Anything less and I know the admin/boosters legitimately don't care a thing about championships and we'll be back to this same spot in 5-7 years.

Absolutely no to these coaches:

Cutcliffe
Chavis
Miles
Patterson
Peterson
Franklin
Petrino
Mullen
Shaw
Orgeron
Durkin
Schiano
Pelini
Fuente
Brohm
Fleck
Norvel
Wilcox
Taggart
F. Wilson
B. Kelly
Sumlin
Venables
T. Martin
Cooter
Satterfield
Morris
Aranda
Canada
or anyone else already mentioned on VN

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Here is the thing. Currie really isn't the key figure here. At least from the outset. It instead will depend on the amount that others are willing to allow Currie to pay a HFC at Tennessee.

If it is at the absolute top of the market, then Currie will be able to go big. But, if the amount continues to be middle of the SEC, then the AD's options get limited in a hurry.

Any coach can see the opportunity at UT.

They are two ADs past Fulmer. The Dooley debacle is long gone. Butch has shown the UT is a great platform to recruit to and erased the Fulmer myth.

It really is a matter of $$. Will UT pony up to clean house and hire a proven coach. I'd throw $5-$6 million at Gary Patterson and make him say no.

Considering Gary Patterson makes $4.7 million. I think it would take way more to make him leave.

Dont spend too much time chasing Kelly...back channel call. NOW. If rebuffed, next call should be Pelini
He'll say yes.

Considering Gary Patterson makes $4.7 million. I think it would take way more to make him leave.

TCU will not let Patterson get away. There is loads of oil money in Fort Worth, and they will match any offer...unless it gets stupid.

IMO, though, he is as good of a game day coach as you will find anywhere in the country.

Butch has got Georgia set up perfectly. We are the heavy home underdog. Backs in the corner. The lads will come out swinging.

Reactions: 2 people

Especially since he wanted the job when kiffin was hired. Coaches that get passed over then succeed where they were all along or even elsewhere often don't want to revisit the school that passed over them. So if a change is made at years end I'd say Patterson would be someone to inquire of but a long shot.

Completely agree. We must have a homerun hire able to compete with Bama and everyone else Year 1 (the real Year 1, no excuses). I do not want to buy out another coach's contract so IMHO there are 3 coaches, only 3, that fit that bill (in no particular order):

- Gruden
- C. Kelly (w/ Helfrich as OC)
- B. Stoops

If the admin/ boosters won't pony up then keep running this circus until CBJs contract runs out or he skips town and they can make another meh hire if it's not an absolute homerun hire. Anything less and I know the admin/boosters legitimately don't care a thing about championships and we'll be back to this same spot in 5-7 years.

Absolutely no to these coaches:

Cutcliffe
Chavis
Patterson
Peterson
Mullen
Pelini
Fuente
Brohm
Fleck
Norvel
Wilcox
Taggart
F. Wilson
B.Kelly
Sumlin
Venables
T. Martin
Cooter
or anyone else already mentioned on VN

I agree with you on most points. The one exception is letting CBJs contract run out if the program won't fork over the cash for a HC this program deserves. You might as well shut the program down in that scenario. We are likely two bad recruiting classes away from the Dooley years.

I agree with you on most points. The one exception is letting CBJs contract run out if the program won't fork over the cash for a HC this program deserves. You might as well shut the program down in that scenario. We are likely two bad recruiting classes away from the Dooley years.

I hear ya but trust me... I don't think Butch could stay around that long. He bolts at the next sign of the slightest opportunity because he is not getting an extension after this season.

I think you mean going after Stoops is needed OP. You typed Shoop. At least I hope that was autocorrect or accidental. :eek:lol:

It was accidental for sure.

We need to demonstrate we are gunning for the big dogs. Stoops basically has Fulmer's record without competing against Saban, Meyer and Spurrier year in and year out. However, that's light years ahead of who we have been courting for a very, very long time (if not forever).

We need big-time, proven winners at Tennessee.

I just want Butch to succeed. I dont want anlther coach either. But it aint happenin
‘

Ill say this, those expecting a mid season decision are drunk. It will take a loss to ky or Vandy.

Butch is a classy guy.

Butch runs a clean program.

Butch has started and continued the rebuilding process of what was once a dumpster fire.

Butch is recruiting much better players than we've had in years.

Butch has shown he's willing to make changes and get different/better coaches.

Butch has fixed the APR problem with a focus on academics.

Butch Jones will never win championships at this level.

The question for the powers that be is, do all the good things he's done outweigh the bottom line, which is wins and losses. IMHO, it comes down to money. Last year Tennessee was the highest grossing, highest profiting football program in the country. As long as that continues, there will not be a coaching change. Butch would have to pull a Bobby Petrino or Hugh Freeze for the admin to walk away from him.

TIFWIW. JMHO. :hi:

I was an Original Grudenite (check your Grudentude) and would be thrilled if UTAD made a serious play for him even if he doesn't work out as some feel is inevitable. I want to know that UTAD recognizes the new realities and is ready to compete with the best. Going after a Gruden, Kelly, or Shoop is what is required this year.

1. Gruden is not giving up his cushy $12 million a year Monday Night Football slot.
2. If the heat on Jones turns up, please God don't let all the yokels on here get excited all over again. One poster had quite a few of you fish on his hook last time. It was embarrassing!
3. You want Bob Shoop promoted to HC? Ahahahhha!

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

Butch is a classy guy.

Butch runs a clean program.

Butch has started and continued the rebuilding process of what was once a dumpster fire.

Butch is recruiting much better players than we've had in years.

Butch has shown he's willing to make changes and get different/better coaches.

Butch has fixed the APR problem with a focus on academics.

Butch Jones will never win championships at this level.

The question for the powers that be is, do all the good things he's done outweigh the bottom line, which is wins and losses. IMHO, it comes down to money. Last year Tennessee was the highest grossing, highest profiting football program in the country. As long as that continues, there will not be a coaching change. Butch would have to pull a Bobby Petrino or Hugh Freeze for the admin to walk away from him.

TIFWIW. JMHO. :hi:

Sorry to burst your bubble but if Butch goes 5-7 he's getting canned.

VN Store

Back