UTs Reputation and Recruiting

I40flyer

keeping it real
Dooley put together two top 15 recruiting classes, was it because he was such a strong recruiter, or could it be Tennessee is the place where so many great HS and JC players would like to come? Jones gets credit for being such a great recruiter, but even under Dooley, we had some great recruiting classes. Recruiting and winning do not always go hand in hand, just ask dooley and jones. When ever someone brings up the poor job jones is doing, you hear, "He is a great recruiter....". Tennessee, the fan base, the facilities, the tradition, and the State of Tennessee are pretty good recruiters, without regard to the HC at the time.:good!:

Reactions: 4 people
Tennessee recruits for itself. Beautiful city, amazing stadium and facilities, great fan base.

Any competent coach, and maybe even an incompetent one or two, can recruit at Tennessee.

Reactions: 6 people
The last two classes Dooley had, he essentially stopped recruiting.

I don't think Butch is a bad recruiter, but I think he's given more credit in that area then he probably deserves.

Like I said, he was being compared to Dooley and Kiffin.

Kiffin recruited 20 players who's favorite hobbies included robbing liquor stores and grand theft auto. Dooley decided he only wanted players to wanted to be at Tennessee. So his recruiting effort was checking the fax machine on NSD.

Not too hard to top that.

Reactions: 2 people
Knoxville and the University are great sells.

That said, recruiting at Tennessee can be challenging on a staff due to the amount of real estate one must cover.

The state of Tennessee has had a hot streak of talent over the better part of the past decade, as has Tennessee’s former players family.

Reactions: 3 people
Dooley put together two top 15 recruiting classes, was it because he was such a strong recruiter, or could it be Tennessee is the place where so many great HS and JC players would like to come? Jones gets credit for being such a great recruiter, but even under Dooley, we had some great recruiting classes. Recruiting and winning do not always go hand in hand, just ask dooley and jones. When ever someone brings up the poor job jones is doing, you hear, "He is a great recruiter....". Tennessee, the fan base, the facilities, the tradition, and the State of Tennessee are pretty good recruiters, without regard to the HC at the time.:good!:

It's game day and this is what you want to talk about. Could we just wait till something goes bad during the game to start talking about how crappy CBJ is? We get enough of that through the week on here

Reactions: 7 people

Turn Volnation off please, it's gameday.

Reactions: 1 person
It's game day and this is what you want to talk about. Could we just wait till something goes bad during the game to start talking about how crappy CBJ is? We get enough of that through the week on here

No, because this board is purely for whiners and cry babies for the most part. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger collection of them in my life....

Reactions: 4 people
Tennessee recruits for itself. Beautiful city, amazing stadium and facilities, great fan base.

Any competent coach, and maybe even an incompetent one or two, can recruit at Tennessee.

Just not true. There are 10 schools within a manageable drive of Tennessee that can all say the same thing and I can point to a coach at each of those places that recruited poorly and got himself fired. Recruiting just isn't something a coach lucks into like a fantasy draft.

I've been told that CBJ recruits by selling the city and the university. I assume that's how he attempts to overcome the hot seat talk.

Fulmer spent years beating it into the heads of fans through the media that recruiting was a huge challenge at TN due to lack of instate talent and the geography in being surrounded by so much competition for recruits.

Kiffin, Dooley, and Jones have proven him wrong.

This program with the atmosphere, tradition, and facilities recruits itself for the most part. I still get the hair on my arms standing up a little when I walk into Neyland on game day. Absolutely electric during big games.

Clueless. You realize basically everyone in SEC has facilities on par with ours right? Great fan base?...LOL that's rich....pyscho fan base I'll buy.

Fulmer spent years beating it into the heads of fans through the media that recruiting was a huge challenge at TN due to lack of instate talent and the geography in being surrounded by so much competition for recruits.

Kiffin, Dooley, and Jones have proven him wrong

This program with the atmosphere, tradition, and facilities recruits itself for the most part. I still get the hair on my arms standing up a little when I walk into Neyland on game day. Absolutely electric during big games.

The quality of high school football players, in Tennessee, has improved dramatically in the last 10 years.

The recruiting ranking can be deceiving. We've had some good ranked classes due to quantity moreso then qualitty // and we get good players who don't fit the scheme or don't provide needed depth at key positions. Example, Dooley brought in 5 NFL quality offensive linemen but then didn't add to the depth after that leaving a huge void when they graduated. Butch has not gotten us back to par on either line yet. Butch signs a lot of high 3 star quality guys, but not enough elite playmakers that we need to compete in the SEC.

A four year rolling aggregate shows us ranked 8th nationally in recruiting (5th in SEC). We just have not put it together yet on the field

Just not true. There are 10 schools within a manageable drive of Tennessee that can all say the same thing and I can point to a coach at each of those places that recruited poorly and got himself fired. Recruiting just isn't something a coach lucks into like a fantasy draft.

Somewhat agree.

The idea UT needs some recruiting wizard to get talent here is bogus as well.

There wasnt a whole lot of in atate talent during the Fulmer years and even a lot of the Dooley years. It wasnt until recently we have seen a pretty large uptick in elite in state talent.

Tennessee doesnt recruit itself because we havent won anything in so long. Most kids want to go where they can compete for a championship. We have shown we arent at that level.

Clueless. You realize basically everyone in SEC has facilities on par with ours right? Great fan base?...LOL that's rich....pyscho fan base I'll buy.

Look, if you wanna feel horrible about things and all doom and gloomy, go for it. My opinion is, while many schools like Florida are certainly catching up, UT's facilities are already top notch. Knoxville is a gorgeous city, yes, more so than a lot of cities in the SEC. When a recruit wants to play in the SEC, and maybe wants to be more centrally located geographically in the country, and he wants facilities/stadium/education, etc, UT is a place that is hard to turn down. I think any coach with a pulse can recruit top 10 classes regularly. And when you're recruiting top 10 to top 15 classes, you'll have the athletes to complete, depending on player development.

Reactions: 2 people
I was watching Gameday from NYC this morning and I saw a sign that read "Fire Butch Jones" in orange letters. I just hope none of our commits were watching. This negative crap needs to stop before it does impact recruiting.

I absolutely agree that you could literally pull anyone off the street and reel in a top 20 class at Tennessee. We are EXTREMELY fortunate that our state is growing and the amount of talent has increased dramatically. That alone might save Butch's job. Butch and his staff are a huge improvement over the Dooley years especially when it comes to identifying players who are underrated(Kelly,Moseley,etc.)

I was watching Gameday from NYC this morning and I saw a sign that read "Fire Butch Jones" in orange letters. I just hope none of our commits were watching. This negative crap needs to stop before it does impact recruiting.

Losing ridiculously on the field begets losing ridiculously in all other areas.

I agree 100% with you. All these people calling for his head dont realize how much that could effect our recruiting. If a guy is torn between UT and another school is he going to choose the school where the coaches whom are making pitches to him might not even be around if he chooses us? Seems to me that people have forgotten how far we had fallen before Butch arrived.
I agree that the coaching blunders at Florida were completely unacceptable and can't happen again,but all is not lost yet and it's still early enough in the season that we can still win 9-10 games. Everyone panicking and calling for Butch's head is absolutely going to effect recruiting and the rest of the SEC is most definitely using that against us in recruiting.

VN Store

Back