Two years ago

SayNoToJorts

Butch went into the UGA game with not one but three heartbreaking losses to Oklahoma, UF, and Arky. After a first half that looked like we were about to drop another one to UGA causing the wheels to fall off and pitchforks to come out, we somehow turned it around and saved the season (what could be saved).

This year we will have the opportunity to go into the UGA game sitting at 3-1 instead of 2-3. We got over a hell of a lot more heartbreak in 2015. Still time to turn it around and actually contend for the East. Time to move on and look ahead.

Reactions: 5 people
Butch went into the UGA game with not one but three heartbreaking losses to Oklahoma, UF, and Arky. After a first half that looked like we were about to drop another one to UGA causing the wheels to fall off and pitchforks to come out, we somehow turned it around and saved the season (what could be saved).

This year we will have the opportunity to go into the UGA game sitting at 3-1 instead of 2-3. We got over a hell of a lot more heartbreak in 2015. Still time to turn it around and actually contend for the East. Time to move on and look ahead.

What are you talking about? We aren't going to lose to UMass. We will be 3-1 going into UGA.

Reactions: 1 person

200w.webp

Is Josh Dobbs going to return to bail out CBJ's gameplan like he did in 2015?

Reactions: 3 people
Its a good way to look at it and we certainly have a chance to win a big game.

Personally, and of course i dont speak for all those that doubt CBJs ability, i just think his coaching shortfalls will lose you more big games than they win. Through 4 1/4 years, this holds true.

If he drops UGA, we will be out of the East race only 25% into the season. Thats sickening to think about.

Our run defense has go too come and play for that UGA game. If we have a rush defense like we did against GT, Chubb and Michel will have 600 yards rushing..

Our run defense has go too come and play for that UGA game. If we have a rush defense like we did against GT, Chubb and Michel will have 600 yards rushing..

I fully expect them to set a single game UGA record.

as much as i railed on the "history" of the FL series as being a prime reason to be pessimistic about the FL game...i'll also point to the history of the GA series being, generally, a very competitive game. i see no reason why that won't continue in two weeks. don't know that we'll win, but in prime CBJ fashion, backs against the wall, you're at home, you're an underdog, everyone will think you're going to get beat....or find a way to lose....

they'll play their butts off and that game will be competitive once again.

Key to the game right there. If we can be solid on first and second down against the run and force Fromm or Eason to beat us with their arms on 3rd downs then we have a shot. Shoop hasn't shown me he's capable of putting together a good defensive game plan yet though.

Key to the game right there. If we can be solid on first and second down against the run and force Fromm or Eason to beat us with their arms on 3rd downs then we have a shot. Shoop hasn't shown me he's capable of putting together a good defensive game plan yet though.

I just want Shoop to uphold that promise, "Nobody will run on the orange swarm". We have looked like a joke against the run the last two seasons.

Is Shoop really getting to run "his" defense or is he running a different version without any choice in the matter?

Is Shoop really getting to run "his" defense or is he running a different version without any choice in the matter?

he's not being limited by anything but personnel. LB and DB still not where they need to be to do what he does.

they're making some personnel changes because the top 3 LB's are down, and a starting safety is done.

really need to see some creativity, and some young guys that have shown promise, to step up...big time.

You can't compare year 3 of Butch to year 5.

Sure, we can absolutely still win the East.

But the stakes are much higher for him now than 2 years ago.

Perhaps the point being missed here is that we are in this situation EVERY year when we now have the talent to be above these shenanigans.

You can't compare year 3 of Butch to year 5.

Sure, we can absolutely still win the East.

But the stakes are much higher for him now than 2 years ago.
situationally you can. but i get your point...the stakes are different two years later. cause it's the same situation...:no:

Perhaps the point being missed here is that we are in this situation EVERY year when we now have the talent to be above these shenanigans.

I'm with you except for our LBs. For some reason we just can't recruit and develop athletes at that position good enough to beat out a walk on.

I'm with you except for our LBs. For some reason we just can't recruit and develop athletes at that position good enough to beat out a walk on.

of all the things that have plagued us...the LB corp the last 3 years has been a disaster. i don't get it either. and DB isn't far behind.

of all the things that have plagued us...the LB corp the last 3 years has been a disaster. i don't get it either. and DB isn't far behind.

But I feel like we have talent there, they just aren't being coached very well. Boggles the mind to watch the cushion we give receivers. It's like every DC or DB coach we hire has the mentality that it's ok to give up 3rd and 8, just don't get burned deep. See how that worked out

But I feel like we have talent there, they just aren't being coached very well. Boggles the mind to watch the cushion we give receivers. It's like every DC or DB coach we hire has the mentality that it's ok to give up 3rd and 8, just don't get burned deep. See how that worked out

we do. and if we were going out every saturday with DK, Bituli, Smith, Mcdowell, Sapp getting the lions' share of the snaps at LB, i'd feel pretty good.

we've had talent in the past...JRM, Johnson, etc...Bates and Elliot Berry were highly regarded, and just haven't panned out...for whatever reason. (and i say that only because the reason as it pertains to this discussion just doesn't matter)

they can't stay healthy, and miss entire seasons....so even if you do have talent in the 3-4 deep, which we've had to do last year and this year, it exposes youth, inexperience, under development etc....

so now you're relying on ingot, sapp (talent, but inexperience), Jumper (i'm not interested in discussing him any further), Bates (hasn't earned his way to meaningful snaps in the two deep) and bituli (the only bonafide SEC caliber LB we now have), and you hope you get Smith back at some point.

it's just a bad situation. and they know it. Gaulden, MA, Labruzza, Warrior will all likely get utilized in nickel and dime packages to get a little more speed and good tackling out there.

it's going to take some creativity personnel wise to make all that work. and last year, we did not do that when injuries started to mount. i think this year, if there is a silver lining, we have that experience to draw on, and probably have a much better idea of what the kids on this roster can and can't do, and hopefully means we can put them as in good a spot as possible to be successful.

OP I agree with your sentiment that Butch could win his way out of the present climate. Unlike 2015, which was the first year that we really had much of a fighting chance to make any noise, I don't think it's our job as a fanbase to turn the page on what we just saw happen in Gainesville. It's Butch's job to win us back by exceeding some expectations and not screwing up against inferior competition. Personally, I don't think he can do it but it isn't impossible.

VN Store

Back