Big money boosters?

turn3

Visit killboy.com
Any current info available on who the biggest and influencal boosters are?

I don't have a list - but am interested to see if any of what I was just told is true...

I'll quote the text I received: "Butch has lost major boosters. $10M buyout is not a problem. Needs to win out minus Alabama. If not, expect word after LSU game."

Again I have no inside knowledge personally. But this guy is a friend and has been right on several other instances pertaining to UT athletics (mainly basketball).

I'm hoping some better-connected folks can either refute or confirm.

Reactions: 14 people
I don't have a list - but am interested to see if any of what I was just told is true...

I'll quote the text I received: "Butch has lost major boosters. $10M buyout is not a problem. Needs to win out minus Alabama. If not, expect word after LSU game."

Again I have no inside knowledge personally. But this guy is a friend and has been right on several other instances pertaining to UT athletics (mainly basketball).

We have a billionaire booster. It's not about money. He gets what he wants when he wants it.

Reactions: 2 people

In times like this, you're gonna hear all sorts of things, especially from people with "sources". Don't believe anything. $10 million buyout is definitely something.

Reactions: 17 people
It honestly wouldn't surprise me.

I mean, these people are all successful people. They recognize an alpha male mentality.

Clearly Butch isn't one of them.

Reactions: 4 people
I think the only ones that really matter are the Haslams. I don't think Thornton, Allan Jones (Check into Cash guy), even Peyton move the needle that much financially. The Haslams have more money and influence that probably all of the other boosters combined.

Reactions: 6 people
In times like this, you're gonna hear all sorts of things, especially from people with "sources". Don't believe anything. $10 million buyout is definitely something.

...but not something that will stop UT from making a change, if they WANT to.

Reactions: 1 person
Charles Ergen alone has a net worth of $15.7 BILLION dollars.
Thunder is a billionaire.
Haslem is worth a few billion.
Allan Jones has a 25,000 sq foot home and is worth over $500,000,000 dollars and founded a company worth $40 billion dollars.

They probably have $10,000,000 in landscaping at their homes.

If you don't think they can pool a few bucks to raise $10 million, you're crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
I seriously doubt there's someone out there who looks at 10milllion and says "No problem"

You don't become a billionaire by throwing 10 million out there like it's nothing.

Reactions: 32 people

I don't doubt it. I didn't go start a thread on it. But like I said this is a close friend who has strong ties to UT and Knoxville area. He could absolutely be wrong and misinformed - he just is typically not wrong.

Deja vu....all these familiar threads....reminders of Kiffin and Dooley days.

Reactions: 5 people
I don't doubt it. I didn't go start a thread on it. But like I said this is a close friend who has strong ties to UT and Knoxville area. He could absolutely be wrong and misinformed - he just is typically not wrong.

I have no doubt that the boosters are unhappy.

I think we need to make a change Butch hasn't done well where it really counts on the field coaching. For some reason he always tries to do something that he shouldn't several times during the game. He is also way to light on players and coaches. Allowing Dormady and his OC and DC to make to many mental mistakes in a game. They may complete that throw on us anyway but you drop eight back and make them beat eight players vs your three or four wr's

Reactions: 1 person
The financial losses from keeping a bad head coach could far exceed $10 million. An attendance of 92,000 instead of 102,000 could be a loss of $1,000,000 revenue per game ($100 x 10,000 people).

Reactions: 2 people

I'm not connected but I think a loss to Georgia will push Butch out early especially if Sumlin and some other guys are already out.

They have to want to give the money though. Just because they have it, doesn't mean they want to spend it. The only financial benefit of donating excessive money to the university is tax related. Even then, the deduction from the AGI is capped at $50,000. Of course, you can structure it into your DBA's under your LLC's.....eh nevermind. What I meant to say is, they do not get any kind of ROI here. They have to want to make the donation if its asked for. Whether or not they have it is irrelevant in my opinion.

Reactions: 3 people
The Vols are perhaps only the 3rd best team in the state of Tennessee. In year 5 that is totally ridiculous and unacceptable. Some coaches have that winning vibe...or a penchant for winning...Butch is the complete opposite. All 3 Florida losses...Oklahoma...Vandy. Even had a 4th quarter lead at Bama that we all knew wouldn't last.

Some say "ehhhh. It's one game. It's a long season". It is just one game...but it had monumental implications (always does) for the rest of the season. It can either make or destroy your season. Butch found a way to accomplish the latter. If Florida had suspended the entire starting team, Butch would still have found a way to choke it away. Maybe not everybody is so accepting of seeing this once proud program be crapped away by an incompetent coach way in over his head. We can hope.

Reactions: 6 people

I will believe this when I see it.

There is no way that Butch is going 10-2 in any rational universe. But, I sincerely doubt he is fired after the LSU game if he is sitting at 8-3 or maybe even 7-4.

VN Store

Back