Injury Update Thread

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Season is over -- no longer tracking injuries. Let the lads be students for a while, safely out of the limelight until spring camp.

And as the 2017 season comes to an end, and not such a great one, we owe a huge debt of gratitude to the young men who met our frustration with even more of their own, and then threw in blood, pain, wounds and tears.

And most especially, a tip of the cap to junior offensive lineman Jack Jones, a Tennessee native who left it all out on the field for as long as he could. Our very best wishes to Jack and the departing seniors wherever life takes them.

[two seniors may be eligible for medical redshirts: Todd Kelly, Jr., and Cortez McDowell. TKJr has already indicated he will seek another year of eligibility]

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
Lastest available information:

The Good -- Back from Injury:
  • Josh Smith - available for FL
  • Tyler Byrd - available for FL
  • Lattrell Williams - available for FL

The Bad -- Questionable, Not Available, or Unknown:
  • Eli Wolf - questionable for FL (sprained ankle)
  • Marcus Tatum - questionable for FL (?)
  • Evan Berry - questionable for FL (hamstring from 2016? new injury?)
  • Baylen Buchanan - questionable for FL (?)
  • Austin Smith - questionable for FL (?)
  • Kendal Vickers - ??

The Ugly -- Long-Term Injuries:
  • Jacquez Jones - out for the season
  • Darrin Kirkland - out for the season
  • Chance Hall - out for the season
  • K'Rojhn Calbert - out for the season
  • Jauan Jennings - out for up to 12 weeks (wrist); could be back at end of season

If you have an update, please post; will keep the OP as up to date as possible. Thanks!

Wolf, Smith and Buchanan out for Florida. Vickers is fine and I think I heard Tatum will be playing Saturday could be wrong on that one though

Last edited:
Update #2 for Florida Week

(*)=starter
(**)=significant backup

21 Jacquez Jones WR 5-10 165 Fr. - out for the season - knee
34 Darrin Kirkland Jr. LB 6-1 238 Jr. (*) - out for the season - knee
76 Chance Hall OL 6-4 315 Jr. (*) - out for the season - knee
74 K'Rojhn Calbert OL 6-5 316 Fr. - out for the season - knee
15 Jauan Jennings WR 6-3 209 Jr. (*) - ~12 weeks / "indefinite" - dislocated wrist

11 Austin Smith LB 6-3 236 R-So. (*) - OUT - Knee
80 Eli Wolf TE 6-4 224 R-So. - OUT - Sprained Ankle
28 Baylen Buchanan DB 5-11 185 So. (**) - OUT - Ankle

29 Evan Berry KR-DB 5-11 205 Sr. (*) - questionable - Knee
68 Marcus Tatum OL 6-6 281 So. (*) - questionable

Tyler Byrd and Lattrell Williams are back, as is Josh Smith.
Baylen Buchanan, Austin Smith, and Eli Wolf are all ruled out for the game this Saturday.

Do we know anything regarding Quarte Sapp's status??? I expected him to be a major contributor, but he's been AWOL so far, correct?

Last I saw on Tatum was that he was questionable per Butch's 9/11 presser.

Do we know anything regarding Quarte Sapp's status??? I expected him to be a major contributor, but he's been AWOL so far, correct?

Was he injured?

I know he played in the Ga Tech game, but he has no stats for Indiana State. Don't know if he played in that one.

Last I saw on Tatum was that he was questionable per Butch's 9/11 presser.

Yep, I got that from Monday's press conference, too.

But apparently the reporter whose article was linked in post #4 got a more recent update from Butch. His write-up said:

Tennessee linebacker Austin Smith, tight end Eli Wolf and cornerback Baylen Buchanan won't play Saturday at Florida, Vols coach Butch Jones said Wednesday.

Jones also said senior safety Evan Berry, Tennessee's standout kick returner, is "questionable" for the 23rd-ranked Vols' SEC opener against the 24th-ranked Gators (0-1) at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville, Fla.

But Tennessee (2-0) otherwise expects its recently injured players to be available Saturday afternoon.

"Everyone else, we expect to play," Jones said.

Sounds to me like that last line ("everyone else") includes Tatum, and that he's good to go for FL. Though Butch didn't mention him by name.

Only 9 after two weeks? Rock is going full beast mode on this roster.

The sarcasm is mis-placed. A few of these injuries, like Evan Berry and Chance Hall's, reach back a year and more. This isn't 2 weeks' wear and tear, it's a cumulative thing.

Reactions: 3 people
Paul Bain was in street clothes on the sidelines Saturday. Anybody know anything? Of course he probably just told Jones he was taking the day off after saving his bacon on the blocked FG against Tech.

Paul Bain was in street clothes on the sidelines Saturday. Anybody know anything? Of course he probably just told Jones he was taking the day off after saving his bacon on the blocked FG against Tech.

Yeah, I heard someone saw him in civvies, too. Never heard anything about why, though.

With Todd Kelly tearing his ACL, we now have FOUR starters out for the year and six total, before we even play our third game.

Something is wrong. Period.

Reactions: 2 people
Lastest available information:

The Good -- Back from Injury:
  • Josh Smith (WR) - available for FL
  • Tyler Byrd (WR) - available for FL
  • Lattrell Williams (WR)- available for FL
  • Marcus Tatum (OL) - available for FL

The Bad -- Questionable, Not Available, or Unknown:
  • Eli Wolf (TE) - will not play vs FL (sprained ankle)
  • Austin Smith (LB/DL) - will not play vs FL (knee)
  • Baylen Buchanan (DB) - will not play vs FL (ankle)
  • Evan Berry (KR, DB) - questionable for FL (hamstring from 2016? new knee injury?)
    [*]Todd Kelly, Jr (DB) - [unconfirmed] rumored out for FL, perhaps season (re-aggravated knee injury?)

The Ugly -- Long-Term Injuries:
  • Darrin Kirkland (LB) - out for the season (knee)
  • Chance Hall (OL) - out for the season (knee)
  • Jacquez Jones (WR) - out for the season (knee)
  • K'Rojhn Calbert (OL) - out for the season (knee)
  • Jauan Jennings (WR) - out for "up to 12 weeks" (dislocated wrist); could be back at end of season

If you have new or better info, please post; will keep the OP as up to date as possible. Thanks!
what wont Jennings take a red shirt and play next year.

what wont Jennings take a red shirt and play next year.

Haven't even heard that Jauan or the coaches are considering that at this point. They don't have to decide it before season's end, don't think. So might as well let the wrist heal, see how that goes, and decide later.

I just read that Todd Kelly Jr is out for a knee. Apparently it has been a problem for a while and surgery will knock him out for the season. I hate it for these guys, who work so hard to make it this far.

Did anyone catch our lad who was injured in the game?

Sideline reporter said it was a possible wrist injury. Just can't remember who it was.

Not Darrell Taylor. I know he came out for one play with a shoulder stinger or something, but he was right back in the game a play later, and played the rest of the game, far as I can tell.

This was someone else.

Anyone catch who? Thanks.

Did anyone catch our lad who was injured in the game?

Sideline reporter said it was a possible wrist injury. Just can't remember who it was.

Not Darrell Taylor. I know he came out for one play with a shoulder stinger or something, but he was right back in the game a play later, and played the rest of the game, far as I can tell.

This was someone else.

Anyone catch who? Thanks.
McDowell

At least we don't have a thread for "arrested, in jail, in court, serving time". Get well soon men.

VN Store

Back