7609 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Florida's week off. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 09-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #1
JAMESFROMCT

Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off
Florida's week off

Florida having a week off...good or bad for prep?

We basically had a nice scrimmage last week to work out kinks, but also gave them more game film to pick up tendencies

thoughts?
JAMESFROMCT is online now   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
chatt-townVOL
First of his name

Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off
Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off
They have zero film on what we will look like Saturday
chatt-townVOL is online now   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
malinoisvol

From everything I've read, they haven't had much time to focus on Tennessee or practice. I think the advantage is Tenneessee's, imo.
malinoisvol is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
jakez4ut
ready for football.

Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off
not sure i'd categorize it as "a week off", in the traditional sense.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
Rockytopvol86

I think itll be in our favor as both our offense and defense will have different looks. Although, I am hesitant on Shoops D. Offense however, well unload. well have a few WR back from injury. The long ball has been open a few times but have not connected . Hopefully this will be corrected this week.

As for Fla... with the hurricane.. has this messed up their preparations this week? have they had disruption in access to fields?
Rockytopvol86 is online now   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #6
VolFanInHawaii
bob buford jr the third

Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off
Complications from the Hurricane have almost certainly been bad for prep. Hard to call this a "week off" for them. NEVERTHELESS if the suspensions are upheld, that isn't good news for the replacements for their suspended players. Game reps matter, even if those reps come from your warmup game.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
MWAVolfan

Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off
I'm betting they wished they had played last week against a cupcake to get quality playing time and to gel as a team.
MWAVolfan is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
VFL-82-JP
Bleedin' Orange...

Florida's week off Florida's week off
Absolutely, our advantage. Practice = improvement, and Live game reps = the best kind of practice. So we benefited Saturday, while Florida missed out.

Plus, you know, they've probably been a little distracted, what with that whole hurricane and all. So, though they've practiced almost as much as they normally would, it may not be very well-focused practice.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -- Edmund Burke
"We're all one race, and that's the human race." -- Diamond and Silk
VFL-82-JP is online now   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
FZJ80
#WGWTFA

Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off
Best tweet that i've seen and quite fitting since its Gator hatin' week...

https://twitter.com/MattSBN/status/907627821186547712
Old 09-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
DaddyChad

Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESFROMCT View Post

We basically had a nice scrimmage last week to work out kinks, but also gave them more game film to pick up tendencies

thoughts?
Their offense sucked butthole and they haven't had a chance to sort that out. I'm pretty sure our defense will be completely different schematically for better or worse. That's just the football aspect.

The mental aspect is they've had a lot of distractions with being concerned about friends, family, and personal well being with the hurricane. I doubt they've worried much about prep for Tennessee up to this point nor given a damn in light of all the stuff surrounding Florida. That said Florida is always a tough matchup for Tennessee.
DaddyChad is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #11
njvols

Quote:

thoughts?
Hopefully, two weeks of tape has allowed us to self-scout and figure out that D Line playing a yard off the ball isn't a good idea.
njvols is online now   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #12
PEPPERJAX
Let's Do A Ritual....

Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off
I am sure UF would have preferred to play the game scheduled last saturday to give their offense some more reps.
PEPPERJAX is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #13
jctenn1

Florida's week off
Florida's week off
Good for us..Bad for them...We got another opportunity for game reps and speed where they did not..They are starting a freshman QB with 1 live game experience..cannot be good for him entering SEC play..All the Floriduh message boards are filled with fire Mcelwain and Nuss comments..Their fans do not think they will be very good offensively against us..I think it was good for our defense to play a more traditional team and get more of a feel for everyone also..But remember this is SEC play now and I am sure we will see a more aggressive defense Saturday...GBO
jctenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #14
Jaws

Quote:

thoughts?
I personally think it would have been better for Florida to play a game last Saturday, mostly for needed game reps for Franks and the young DB's.

But there are certainly pros and cons on both sides:

Pros:
- The team obviously avoided any major injuries by not playing and the team will certainly be rested.
- More study time and more Tennessee prep. They didn't play Saturday, but that doesn't mean that sat around and did nothing. And since the game was called early last Thursday, they could focus 100% on Tennessee from that moment forward. So in essence, the cancellation gave Florida Thursday-Sunday of pure UT prep. Even part of Sunday would have been spent reviewing Northern Colorado game tape. Since that wasn't necessary, the focus was all Tennessee.
- Randy Shannon is the new DC and he blitzed very little and was very basic v Michigan. I think one less game tape of his defense does leave a little bit of mystery as to what their defensive game plan may be versus Tennessee.

Cons:
- Valuable game reps are lost for Franks and for the young DB's.
- The offense as a whole really needed to feel some success against a lesser opponent. This is a unit playing with zero confidence. If UT shuts them down early, you may see this unit playing with their heads down again with no confidence or will for the entire game. A good showing last week may have helped in this area.
Jaws is online now   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #15
vtvol98
my $.02 as well...

Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off Florida's week off
I think that Florida will come out madder then hell, from all of their pent up frustration, after having their lives interrupted by Irma. I live in eastern NC and survived Hurricane Floyd in 1999. A friend of mine took me to the ECU vs Miami (Fl) game at Carter Finley Stadium, in Raleigh, the following weekend to give me an escape. UM was ranked #9 in the country and was stacked with talent such as: Ken Dorsey, Clinton Portis, Reggie Wayne, and Santana Moss. I witnessed an unranked Pirate team, who had been stranded in Columbia, SC, the entire week because of all of the flooding surrounding Greenville, NC, defeating that juggernaut from Miami. Our Vols better not underestimate the lack of reps that Florida received from their canceled game. That additional time may have given the Gators ample to stew about what they are going to do to the Vols when they meet. Beware a caged animal.

Last edited by vtvol98; 09-12-2017 at 01:04 PM..
vtvol98 is offline   Reply With Quote TOP