Florida's week off

JAMESFROMCT

Florida having a week off...good or bad for prep?

We basically had a nice scrimmage last week to work out kinks, but also gave them more game film to pick up tendencies

thoughts?

From everything I've read, they haven't had much time to focus on Tennessee or practice. I think the advantage is Tenneessee's, imo.

Reactions: 5 people
I think itll be in our favor as both our offense and defense will have different looks. Although, I am hesitant on Shoops D. Offense however, well unload. well have a few WR back from injury. The long ball has been open a few times but have not connected . Hopefully this will be corrected this week.

As for Fla... with the hurricane.. has this messed up their preparations this week? have they had disruption in access to fields?

Complications from the Hurricane have almost certainly been bad for prep. Hard to call this a "week off" for them. NEVERTHELESS if the suspensions are upheld, that isn't good news for the replacements for their suspended players. Game reps matter, even if those reps come from your warmup game.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm betting they wished they had played last week against a cupcake to get quality playing time and to gel as a team.

Reactions: 1 person
Absolutely, our advantage. Practice = improvement, and Live game reps = the best kind of practice. So we benefited Saturday, while Florida missed out.

Plus, you know, they've probably been a little distracted, what with that whole hurricane and all. So, though they've practiced almost as much as they normally would, it may not be very well-focused practice.

Reactions: 3 people

We basically had a nice scrimmage last week to work out kinks, but also gave them more game film to pick up tendencies

thoughts?

Their offense sucked butthole and they haven't had a chance to sort that out. I'm pretty sure our defense will be completely different schematically for better or worse. That's just the football aspect.

The mental aspect is they've had a lot of distractions with being concerned about friends, family, and personal well being with the hurricane. I doubt they've worried much about prep for Tennessee up to this point nor given a damn in light of all the stuff surrounding Florida. That said Florida is always a tough matchup for Tennessee.

thoughts?

Hopefully, two weeks of tape has allowed us to self-scout and figure out that D Line playing a yard off the ball isn't a good idea.

Reactions: 4 people
I am sure UF would have preferred to play the game scheduled last saturday to give their offense some more reps.

Good for us..Bad for them...We got another opportunity for game reps and speed where they did not..They are starting a freshman QB with 1 live game experience..cannot be good for him entering SEC play..All the Floriduh message boards are filled with fire Mcelwain and Nuss comments..Their fans do not think they will be very good offensively against us..I think it was good for our defense to play a more traditional team and get more of a feel for everyone also..But remember this is SEC play now and I am sure we will see a more aggressive defense Saturday...GBO

thoughts?

I personally think it would have been better for Florida to play a game last Saturday, mostly for needed game reps for Franks and the young DB's.

But there are certainly pros and cons on both sides:

Pros:
- The team obviously avoided any major injuries by not playing and the team will certainly be rested.
- More study time and more Tennessee prep. They didn't play Saturday, but that doesn't mean that sat around and did nothing. And since the game was called early last Thursday, they could focus 100% on Tennessee from that moment forward. So in essence, the cancellation gave Florida Thursday-Sunday of pure UT prep. Even part of Sunday would have been spent reviewing Northern Colorado game tape. Since that wasn't necessary, the focus was all Tennessee.
- Randy Shannon is the new DC and he blitzed very little and was very basic v Michigan. I think one less game tape of his defense does leave a little bit of mystery as to what their defensive game plan may be versus Tennessee.

Cons:
- Valuable game reps are lost for Franks and for the young DB's.
- The offense as a whole really needed to feel some success against a lesser opponent. This is a unit playing with zero confidence. If UT shuts them down early, you may see this unit playing with their heads down again with no confidence or will for the entire game. A good showing last week may have helped in this area.

I think that Florida will come out madder then hell, from all of their pent up frustration, after having their lives interrupted by Irma. I live in eastern NC and survived Hurricane Floyd in 1999. A friend of mine took me to the ECU vs Miami (Fl) game at Carter Finley Stadium, in Raleigh, the following weekend to give me an escape. UM was ranked #9 in the country and was stacked with talent such as: Ken Dorsey, Clinton Portis, Reggie Wayne, and Santana Moss. I witnessed an unranked Pirate team, who had been stranded in Columbia, SC, the entire week because of all of the flooding surrounding Greenville, NC, defeating that juggernaut from Miami. Our Vols better not underestimate the lack of reps that Florida received from their canceled game. That additional time may have given the Gators ample to stew about what they are going to do to the Vols when they meet. Beware a caged animal.

Last edited:
I hear the Gators are already tired from working the hurricane and may not have energy for the game. They're hoping new shoes will give them a boost......

Attachments

• Gator looters.jpg
    Gator looters.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: 5 people
From everything I've read, they haven't had much time to focus on Tennessee or practice. I think the advantage is Tenneessee's, imo.

Not true, Florida has not missed any practice time this week or last. They practiced Saturday instead of playing. They did not practice Monday as the storm rolled through, but they don't practice Monday anyway during normal game week.

Not true, Florida has not missed any practice time this week or last. They practiced Saturday instead of playing. They did not practice Monday as the storm rolled through, but they don't practice Monday anyway during normal game week.

thanks for clarifying....i was wondering exactly how much impact it really had...aside from a sunday review/meeting...if they're practicing today, then i'd say the overall affect on football related activities is probably minimal.

how they all manage their time/priorities/issues outside of that....that could be the bigger issue.

but there's plenty of distraction to be managed down there...between Irma and the suspensions...that's a full plate.

we'll see how they, and we, are able to handle it.

I think that Florida will come out madder then hell, from all of their pent up frustration, after having their lives interrupted by Irma. I live in eastern NC and survived Hurricane Floyd in 1999. A friend of mine took me to the ECU vs Miami (Fl) game at Carter Finley Stadium, in Raleigh, the following weekend to give me an escape. UM was ranked #9 in the country and was stacked with talent such as: Ken Dorsey, Clinton Portis, Reggie Wayne, and Santana Moss. I witnessed an unranked Pirate team, who had been stranded in Columbia, SC, the entire week because of all of the flooding surrounding Greenville, NC, defeating that juggernaut from Miami. Our Vols better not underestimate the lack of reps that Florida received from their canceled game. That additional time may have given the Gators ample to stew about what they are going to do to the Vols when they meet. Beware a caged animal.

Good post. And not only pent-up rage from storm stuff, but pent-up rage from a pissed off fan base questioning what the hell that was versus Michigan.

thanks for clarifying....i was wondering exactly how much impact it really had...aside from a sunday review/meeting...if they're practicing today, then i'd say the overall affect on football related activities is probably minimal.

how they all manage their time/priorities/issues outside of that....that could be the bigger issue.

but there's plenty of distraction to be managed down there...between Irma and the suspensions...that's a full plate.

we'll see how they, and we, are able to handle it.

Another thing to consider, there has been no class since last Thursday and they won't have class again until this Thursday (classes resume at UF on Thursday). So the players have really had nothing but football probably to the point of boredom for the last several days. I think there are definite disadvantages to UF not playing last Saturday, but I don't think for a minute that they have had their UT game prep diminished in any way, actually quite the opposite.

While an off week is a negative in some respects....come game time, many players from both teams who know the tradition of TN/FL will bring it regardless. It is TN/FL and for 365 days until We meet again the dislike some of us harbor for each other will only get stronger....bring it on and GBO !

VN Store

Back