I`m betting Shoop will cost Jones his job

ice

Pro 2A - GOA & NRA member
Not impressed with Shoop at all. We can and should do better than this guy.

Reactions: 4 people
Shoop is a good d coordinator. He played a triple option that wore on the defense all night. 96 plays will gas any defense not to include having to shed cut blocks all night as well. Just watch what happens for the defense when we play a more traditional offense.

Reactions: 6 people
Shoop is a good d coordinator. He played a triple option that wore on the defense all night. 96 plays will gas any defense not to include having to shed cut blocks all night as well. Just watch what happens for the defense when we play a more traditional offense.

There was no adjustments. Every play, the line did the same thing...basically stand up and let the play come to them, which resulted in 4-6 yards per play. I agree with the OP.

Reactions: 6 people
There was no adjustments. Every play, the line did the same thing...basically stand up and let the play come to them, which resulted in 4-6 yards per play. I agree with the OP.

When the O-line is engaging up high and then diving at your ankles ALL NITE, you get kind of skittish...

Reactions: 7 people
GT or not, the D gave up 655 yards. That does not bode well.

Of course, by conceding a yard and a half on every snap, we gave them about 150 yards of that total.

I'm not sure about this. There seems to be a trend.

Here's our last four Regular season games.

TEAM: RUSH PASS TOT

KEN: 443 192 635
MIZ: 420 320 740
VAN: 192 416 608
GT: 535 120 655
----------------------------------
1,590 1,048 2,638
Per: 397.5 262 659.5

I sure hope you're right but those numbers are. I don't like being negative so I'm hoping like hell we turn this around quickly! Although I don't see any offenses in the next four games that really scare me. Hopefully we can figure it out sooner than later.

Reactions: 3 people
Let's be honest, if Shoop was able to bring his guys, it would be a different story. Given how toxic the locker room was last year with Hurd, I truly believe there were defensive assistants that didn't buy into Shoop as reported.

Wanna see even more failure? Go back to his last six games at Penn State. He's CBJ Clausen hire. Mark it down.

Reactions: 1 person

When the game was on the line and GT needed 3 yards to win, our guys blew up the play and took the win.

Great win.

Plenty to look at to improve.

4 days till Game 2. I'm glad it's the Sycamores.

Turnovers and missed/blocked FGs was the difference.

Reminds me of Air Force back in 99 going for 2 to get the win. They didn't get it either.

Reactions: 5 people
I think we'll fair well against normal offenses. I don't think we'll be a top defense by any means...especially against the run but I don't think we're as dreadful as it seems.

However, if UF's offense puts up big numbers on us then yes, we are in trouble. Their offense is garbage so that can be our measuring stick.

I am not a coach but i wonder if it would be effective that an effort be made to pop the QB in the mouth every play that he takes the ball down the line of scrimmage. Have on person assigned that task on each side. The one that's duty is to force the pitch should attempt to blow him up.

I guess in today's game that would not be looked on kindly.

Before the surprising comeback i was wondering if Butch would still be our coach by seasons end.

I agree. I thought that was a great victory!

First time that I can remember Butch winning a game we shouldn't have won. Which is one of my benchmarks for a good coach.

We were favored.

Digging your own grave and then crawling out of it doesn't qualify as winning a game we shouldn't win.

Reactions: 1 person
When the game was on the line and GT needed 3 yards to win, our guys blew up the play and took the win.

Great win.

Plenty to look at to improve.

4 days till Game 2. I'm glad it's the Sycamores.

Turnovers and missed/blocked FGs was the difference.

Reminds me of Air Force back in 99 going for 2 to get the win. They didn't get it either.

Air Force was 2006

I am certainly baffled with our D-line and secondary. The D-line seems to continually get pushed around, the secondary appears to be out of position, and they are still not looking back for the ball.
I thought Shoop's M.O. was that he ran "exotic" defenses that confuse the opposing offenses. So far(certainly including last year), it seems like our D-lines are basically holding on for their lives. They both have been "Bending" and breaking thus far in Shoop's tenure. GT didn't care how the defense lined up and it didn't matter. I wonder how many team we play will now throw in a triple option type package every time they need a third down conversion.

Side thought: This GT team seems to have all the talent they need to play anyone. They looked to be even better than what we thought. At least that what I want to believe to make me feel better about squeaking out the W.

:rock:When both the offensive and defensive lines gets knocked 3 to 5 yards backwards on virtually every play, where are those "great strength coach" results???? Somewhere our line coaches along with the strength coach are not getting the job done. Tim Priest of the Radio Vols constantly found fault with both of our line performance.:clapping:

You do realize our offense was keeping our defense on the field all night, right?

Notice our D started looking a lot better once our offense stopped going 3 and out.

Reactions: 2 people
I am certainly baffled with our D-line and secondary. The D-line seems to continually get pushed around, the secondary appears to be out of position, and they are still not looking back for the ball.
I thought Shoop's M.O. was that he ran "exotic" defenses that confuse the opposing offenses. So far(certainly including last year), it seems like our D-lines are basically holding on for their lives. They both have been "Bending" and breaking thus far in Shoop's tenure. GT didn't care how the defense lined up and it didn't matter. I wonder how many team we play will now throw in a triple option type package every time they need a third down conversion.

Side thought: This GT team seems to have all the talent they need to play anyone. They looked to be even better than what we thought. At least that what I want to believe to make me feel better about squeaking out the W.
Wow, you do realize they almost beat us playing a WR at QB

VN Store

Back