Anonymous SEC

coach says CBJ should be fired. Sounds like someone is afraid of the job he is doing. If they find out who the coach is then he can kiss his career goodbye. Coaches simply don't talk like that about other coaches. Low class.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/anonymous-sec-east-coach-tennessee-fire-butch-jones

These are probably assistant coaches, position coaches, or even GAs giving the comments.

Those guys are a lot freer to flap their gums.

The head coaches are all much more politically savvy and, perhaps more to the point, more worried that the promised anonymity somehow doesn't last.

So I'd bet money not a single one of these quotes we see every year "from SEC coaches about SEC coaches" are from head coaches.

I think whoever anonymous is knows Tennessee is doing very good at recruiting right now,and is insecure themselves!

Reactions: 12 people
These are probably assistant coaches, position coaches, or even GAs giving the comments.

The head coaches are all much more politically savvy and, perhaps more to the point, more worried that the promised anonymity somehow doesn't last.

So I'd bet money not a single one of these quotes we see every year "from SEC coaches about SEC coaches" are from head coaches.

I bet you're right!

Reactions: 2 people
“The thing about Tennessee this year, they don’t have a quarterback, they don’t have a running back and for all those guys they’ve signed, I don’t see any dominant, draftable players on the roster.”

John Kelly says what?

Reactions: 10 people
Honestly given the talent already on this team and the fact the state of Tennessee has become a top 5 state when it comes to producing D1 college football talent, Butch should probably be fired. He hasn't proven to be an elite coach. And given our current talent level and future potential given the rise of instate talent in Tennessee, we deserve an elite coach.

If Butch were fired, you would see coaches falling over themselves for this job.

Tennessee = top 5 job now

Reactions: 7 people
I think whoever anonymous is knows Tennessee is doing very good at recruiting right now,and is insecure themselves!

Yeah, heh, another good point.

Imagine your business, wherever you work. The big boss comes in and says, "hey all you guys who compete with each other for sales or promotions or whatever, we're gonna let you anonymously write each other's fitness reports this year."

Knives out would be the common theme, maybe? Certainly more common than not. This might be a lot like that dynamic.

Reactions: 3 people
'Anonymity' was misspelled in the very first sentence and it's bold. That looks unprofessional for seccountry.com. It also looks like someone could be a little jealous of Butch. Vanderbilt also beat Georgia (and that was on the road). Is this same anonymous coach calling for Kirby Smart to be fired? Is it possible that this same anonymous coach is on the Georgia staff? Just something to think about.

Reactions: 4 people

OTOH, assistant coaches learn pretty quick to be nice to their peers because your rival today may be your boss tomorrow.

We heard that right before Fulmer was fired. We heard that when Kiffen bolted. And we heard that after doofus was fired.

MBRO, I believe you, you have the longevity here to remember all that, but...

...but I can't imagine why that would be the refrain in those instances.

Fulmer was forced out after winning the program a national championship. You'd think that would make the position a bit toxic for many potential hires.

Kiffin bolted at midnight in a dark limousine with the lights blacked out. Can't imagine that making the job look too delicious.

Dooley...well, he Dooley'd the whole thing up. Few established Power 5 coaches would want to pick that up, leaving it to a hot Group of 5 climber.

So I mean, I heard you man, but those situations seem to me far different from what things would look like if Butch were to depart in the next year or two. Seems to me the TN HC job is far more attractive now than it has been at any point since Fulmer was shoved through the door.

Reactions: 1 person
Every time these "anonymous quotes" from coaches are released, I automatically assume that they're all 100-percent fabricated. There's actually no reason to NOT fabricate them for the slimy publications that run them. Making them up allows them to post "juicier" quotes, and because they're hiding behind "anonymous sources," they never have to post proof that those things were said.

Garbage, garbage journalism.

Reactions: 5 people
“Any time Vanderbilt beats Tennessee, they ought to fire the coach at Tennessee,” one coach said."

It was the Shark Humper or whoever is at Mizzou, if it was a SEC East coach because...

Muschamp
Stoops
Smart

Have all lost to Vandy. Unless they are hypocrites.

OTOH, assistant coaches learn pretty quick to be nice to their peers because your rival today may be your boss tomorrow.

Yep, good point.

So probably a young guy, who doesn't yet anticipate those things very well. Brand new position coach who (perhaps naively) thinks he has years ahead in his current spot. ("years" = infinity to a 25 year old, heh).

Honestly given the talent already on this team and the fact the state of Tennessee has become a top 5 state when it comes to producing D1 college football talent, Butch should probably be fired. He hasn't proven to be an elite coach. And given our current talent level and future potential given the rise of instate talent in Tennessee, we deserve an elite coach.

If Butch were fired, you would see coaches falling over themselves for this job.

Exactly. Instate talent was the only thing that Tennessee lacked compared to other top programs.. Not anymore. TOP 7 job for sure and I might go as far as you and say top 5 as well. There is no excuse for Tennessee to be anything but great.

Lane Kiffen
Derek Dooley
Butch Jones

That's who Tennessee has attracted since Phil Fulmer was booted with a top 5 recruiting class and top 10 defense.

We don't have elite talent that's NFL ready or SEC experienced currently. We will, but we are very very young.

Reactions: 1 person
I always love it when these guys cite an anonymous source. Probably some G.A. at Vandy or something.
Cause a Vandy guy would say that UTK should fire their coach for beating Vandy? When DD's name was invoked, I immediately thought of Kirby and Will since both are former Dawgs who are presumably tight with the Dooley family and who both coached with DD at LSU and Miami.

I'm expecting a Twitter fight to break out at any moment :yikes::yikes:

Yep, good point.

So probably a young guy, who doesn't yet anticipate those things very well. Brand new position coach who (perhaps naively) thinks he has years ahead in his current spot. ("years" = infinity to a 25 year old, heh).
Probably a young coach but IF it was a SECE hfc I'd guess Kirby or Will for reasons stated in my prior post.

“Any time Vanderbilt beats Tennessee, they ought to fire the coach at Tennessee,” one coach said."

It was the Shark Humper or whoever is at Mizzou, if it was a SEC East coach because...

Muschamp
Stoops
Smart

Have all lost to Vandy. Unless they are hypocrites.

Yep, and I am very sure it wasn't Muschamp because he pretty much defended Butch at SEC Media Days in July, mentioning the staggering amount of injuries that UT was forced to play through last season.

We heard that right before Fulmer was fired. We heard that when Kiffen bolted. And we heard that after doofus was fired.

I'm sorry but this is dead wrong. We did not hear that in either January of 2010 or in November of 2012. The program was down not only in terms of talent but there was also a disconnect between our academic community and the athletic department which was well known throughout the NCAA. Our football team, in particular, was in big academic trouble and facing the possibility of APR (Academic Progress Rate) related NCAA sanctions. This was a significant deterrent to coaches coming here back then. Charlie Strong even cited that as a reason he stayed at Louisville over coming to Tennessee. You can say what you want about Butch Jones as a coach, but he has completely turned around our academic standing. He has also recruited well. This anonymous coach claims we don't have a QB or RB but they should have said we don't have a proven QB or RB. Both Jarrett Guarantano and John Kelly were 4 star recruits with offers from Ohio State and Michigan. If Butch was to be fired, the next man in would be inheriting a much better job than what Butch inherited in December of 2012.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back