Coach Doug Mathews said about Ty Chandler

peyton4heisman

Senior Lurker New Member
"I had the pleasure of watching Charlie Garner and Chuck Webb (who were IMO the best two backs I've seen as a coach) and Ty Chandler is on the same level as those two. It doesn't matter what the official depth chart says, he will be a big part of our offense by the GT game."

Those are some awfully bold statements by CDM! Let's hope he's right and his talent evaluation skills are as good as they used to be!"

Edit: heard this on 104.5 today

Last edited:
Reactions: 32 people
"I had the pleasure of watching Charlie Garner and Chuck Webb (who were IMO the best two backs I've seen as a coach) and Ty Chandler is on the same level as those two. It doesn't matter what the official depth chart says, he will be a big part of our offense by the GT game."

Those are some awfully bold statements by CDM! Let's hope he's right and his talent evaluation skills are as good as they used to be!"

Edit: heard this on 104.5 today

That is some mighty bold talk about a player who has never played a single game of college football.

Reactions: 2 people
That is some mighty bold talk about a player who has never played a single game of college football.

Exactly!! It can be said about every true freshman IMO. Easy folks, give em time to marinate a little. Recruiting services build these guys up so much fans believe the players will never lose 1 play in their career..

Reactions: 1 person
I've said it before and I'll say it again..Chandler has a chance to be a truly great Vol..His work ethic is absolutely tremendous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Pierce View Post

Yeah...but it's coming from a guy who has coached a few downs of College Football...

Maybe he knows what he sees?

Just a few weeks ago, didn't Coach also pick us going 8-4 this year? I just wonder: what will it take / what does he need to see, to predict us getting over the 8-4 bug.

Wow that is a bold statement by someone whose word carries weight. Looking at his HS film he really does seem to have the "IT" factor.

I sure hope Ty can hold up against SEC defenses, he'll have to take a pounding and survive the rugged and long SEC season
Go Vols

Exactly!! It can be said about every true freshman IMO. Easy folks, give em time to marinate a little. Recruiting services build these guys up so much fans believe the players will never lose 1 play in their career..

It can be said about every true freshman?? Really?? And you really think Doug Matthews gets his opinion from recruiting services??

Reactions: 6 people
Hope it translates to the field, and more importantly I hope he has a healthy career.

GBO, we gawn whoop up on some Yeller Jackits!

I don't think Doug Mathews is going to invoke names like Charlie Garner and Chuck Webb lightly. I take this as a very good sign.

Reactions: 11 people
I don't think Doug Mathews is going to invoke names like Charlie Garner and Chuck Webb lightly. I take this as a very good sign.

he previously also put him in the category of the best to come from the state of Tennessee. He put him in the same category of Reggie Cobb whom he considered the best from this state that he has seen.

Regarding the premature nature of his comments he said (and I am paraphrasing here) "Each year there are a small handful of kids in the country that when you get to go see them play even as early as in high school, you just know that you're watching something special. You feel like you are watching an NFL running back playing against small children. Ty Chandler is one of those kids. You look at him and there's no question that he will be playing in the NFL and you're just glad that there's a rule that says he has to go to college first. It's really special when you are lucky enough to have a guy like that on the team."

Reactions: 4 people

How do you lose a play?

VN Store

Back