Preparing for Georgia Tech option attack puts pressure on Tennessee defense

VolsnRavens

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-football-vols-21

Coach Butch Jones has done about as much as possible to prepare for an offensive scheme that has chewed up and spit out one SEC defense after another of late.

The Yellow Jackets have won five of their last six matchups against SEC teams entering the 8 p.m. Sept. 4 game vs. Tennessee in Atlanta. In the process, Georgia Tech has produced the following rushing numbers:

2014: 399 yards rushing vs. Georgia

2014: 452 yards rushing vs. Mississippi State

2015: 194 yards rushing vs. Georgia

2016: 289 yards rushing vs. Vanderbilt

2016: 226 yards rushing vs. Georgia

2016: 266 yards rushing vs. Kentucky

Part of the challenge has been the sheer amount of time Tennessee has put in preparing for the Yellow Jackets’ unique offense.

“We’ll have 15 periods of base defense, and then three periods on Georgia Tech,” Shoop said.

Jones, whose strengths are planning and attention to detail, said it has forced the staff to ask a lot from the defensive players.

“You have to make sure you balance your time, and that your base defense is in and that you can execute your base defense,” Jones said. “Then, you graduate on to a scheme for Georgia Tech, and obviously they have run that offense for so long, they know where to attack.

“So, it’s a balancing attack for our players, and it’s also the fundamentals and details of the [Georgia Tech] blocking scheme and how you play the blocking scheme.”

The way to beat GT is score early. Make them have to play from behind. It shows in their history that they are not built to play catch up football. 13 Days until the GT butt whoopin. Go Vols!!

Reactions: 10 people
Mississippi state
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Tennessee

One of those is not like the others.
And Georgia is a rivalry

Reactions: 7 people
How many passing yards do they average per game? I am guessing very few. Isn't their bread and butter running the ball the majority of the game?

Jones, whose strengths are planning and attention to detail, said it has forced the staff to ask a lot from the defensive players.

If those are his strengths, I'd really hate to see his weaknesses.

Reactions: 2 people
but...WE ARE TENNESSEE....:pepper::neener::yu:

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but what nobody talks about is if they cant stop us then they are never on the field. I think thats what may happen. Their defense is not very good either.

Reactions: 1 person
Mississippi state
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Tennessee

One of those is not like the others.
And Georgia is a rivalry

miss state was beat in 2014 when they were actually good. Remember they were ranked #1 in the country at one point that year. Dak was their QB.

Except for this Sept 4 obviously.
I root for Tech because they hate UGA too.
That's why I also root for Auburn and Florida State.
The enemy of my enemy is indeed my friend. :)

If those are his strengths, I'd really hate to see his weaknesses.

How he has a coaching job just is beyond me. I mean he is one of three sec coaches to have two straight nine win seasons but this is Tennessee. I'm sure you or me could step in and get 11 easy.

Reactions: 12 people
Except for this Sept 4 obviously.
I root for Tech because they hate UGA too.
That's why I also root for Auburn and Florida State.
The enemy of my enemy is indeed my friend. :)

Yea, I always have liked GT and pull for them...except when we play them...

miss state was beat in 2014 when they were actually good. Remember they were ranked #1 in the country at one point that year. Dak was their QB.

True, but to be fair, MSU's defensive coordinator, Geoff Collins, was hired by UF after the 2014 regular season, which meant MSU had to prepare for Ga. Tech's offense with an interim DC.

How he has a coaching job just is beyond me. I mean he is one of three sec coaches to have two straight nine win seasons but this is Tennessee. I'm sure you or me could step in and get 11 easy.

That's a testament to how mediocre the coaching in the SEC is, not how good Butch is.

Look at how this team played last season - struggling against teams like App St/Ohio (should have lost to App), getting down big against Virginia Tech/Florida/Georgia/A&M, and losing to South Carolina/Vandy with an East title and Sugar Bowl in play, and tell me how his strengths are "planning and attention to detail." If he managed to beat two scrub teams in the second half of last season, he very well might have ended up with the 11 wins you describe (if we won the bowl game).

For the sake of argument I won't even hold the choked games against Oklahoma and Florida from 2015 against him, or the Arkansas loss, since the team was still kind of emerging at that point and expectations weren't what they were in 2016.

Butch's strength is recruiting and not much else. He's mediocre at best at the other aspects of the job.

GT puts pressure on defenses to play "assignment football" and the linebackers being in the right position and making good decisions is critical to being successful. If last year is any indication of this, we are in a world of hurt.

GT puts pressure on defenses to play "assignment football" and the linebackers being in the right position and making good decisions is critical to being successful. If last year is any indication of this, we are in a world of hurt.

good thing mills, thomas, andrew marshall, marcus marshall, freddie burden wont be playing for GT. If we are talking about last yr.

That's a testament to how mediocre the coaching in the SEC is, not how good Butch is.

Look at how this team played last season - struggling against teams like App St/Ohio (should have lost to App), getting down big against Virginia Tech/Florida/Georgia/A&M, and losing to South Carolina/Vandy with an East title and Sugar Bowl in play, and tell me how his strengths are "planning and attention to detail." If he managed to beat two scrub teams in the second half of last season, he very well might have ended up with the 11 wins you describe (if we won the bowl game).

For the sake of argument I won't even hold the choked games against Oklahoma and Florida from 2015 against him, or the Arkansas loss, since the team was still kind of emerging at that point and expectations weren't what they were in 2016.

Butch's strength is recruiting and not much else. He's mediocre at best at the other aspects of the job.

He is in the top 1 percent of his profession. He is not the best or perfect by any means but by any comparison he is better at his job than anybody on this board is at theirs.

Reactions: 5 people
What excuses? He's talking about changing the practice schedule to plan for our next opponent.

You chose to read it that way to fit your anti-Butch narrative.

No excuses for mythical excuses.

JK.

Last edited:
True, but to be fair, MSU's defensive coordinator, Geoff Collins, was hired by UF after the 2014 regular season, which meant MSU had to prepare for Ga. Tech's offense with an interim DC.

True but GT had a pretty historic offense in 2014 if I find the article I'll post it but they had a offensive stats that had never been done in college football before.

He is in the top 1 percent of his profession. He is not the best or perfect by any means but by any comparison he is better at his job than anybody on this board is at theirs.

giphy.gif

If I am an AD/Head coach, there is no way in satan's lair I schedule GT as an out-of-conference opponent, regardless of how good or bad they are. It just puts too much risk/strain on a team that never faces that style of offense

VN Store

Back