Ed Orgeron says TN tried to hire Matt Canada as Offensive Coordinator this year

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2017/8...-to-hire-matt-canada-as-offensive-coordinator

“Coach O” said that Tennessee was one of several teams that “were dying to get him.”

Mike DeBord left Tennessee for Indiana following the 2016 season, leaving the offensive coordinator position vacant in Knoxville. But the gig always felt like it was going to Larry Scott or former receivers coach Zach Azzanni. You just got the feeling that Butch Jones wanted to stay in house with this one.
Orgeron paints a different picture though. Check out this excerpt from Godfrey’s interview.

"The day we got him here, we knew Notre Dame, UCLA, Tennessee was all after him. That’s not all of them. These schools were just dying to get him. So we had to move. And the guy was wanted, so we had to make the right offer," Orgeron says.

Hmmmmm

Matt may have made the right choice because there's a decent chance he will be HC of LSU by years end. LSU will majorly regress under O this season mark my word.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Not sure if this is true. I can see Canada's agent telling LSU we have all these teams without offensive coordinators making offers pushing for more money.

Reactions: 18 people
I would not doubt it. Sounds totally plausible and... so what? We got Larry Scott and I know it's not announced and all but I have a feeling Beard will be working closely with Scott and Butch, so it seems like LSU made an offer and Canada knew it would be an opportunity to take over at LSU and he wasn't going to pass it up. Which was fine because we had Scott ready to go.

Canada was preferred mostly because of the recruiting if true, of course this could all be a cajun fish story.... no problems either way.

Reactions: 1 person
I like Canada and Scott. I think they both are good coordinators.

Interesting story though. I can see that being true and I would think coach O just being hired and Butch Jones having hot seat talk kinda makes you consider job longevity before making that decision between Tenn and LSU. Hard to convince your wife you're moving a couple states over to Tennessee when the media thinks Butch is gone after 1 season. From the outside looking in and going by media reports, LSU looks like a more stable situation for at least 2-3 years barring a complete and total meltdown.

Reactions: 4 people
Prob should have hired Canada instead of DeBord back in 2015, assuming what the article says is true.

I like Canada and Scott. I think they both are good coordinators.

Interesting story though. I can see that being true and I would think coach O just being hired and Butch Jones having hot seat talk kinda makes you consider job longevity before making that decision between Tenn and LSU. Hard to convince your wife you're moving a couple states over to Tennessee when the media thinks Butch is gone after 1 season. From the outside looking in and going by media reports, LSU looks like a more stable situation for at least 2-3 years barring a complete and total meltdown.

where was Scott's coordinating success at?

Reactions: 15 people
Canada has likely been on Butch's radar for a long time. When we were looking for an OC, I had him as #2 on the candidate list behind Mark Helfrich. So I wouldn't be surprised if Butch made queries about him; I also wouldn't be surprised if Orgeron were dramatically exaggerating this. Making a phone call to Canada is different from offering him a contract.

Reactions: 5 people
Canada has likely been on Butch's radar for a long time. When we were looking for an OC, I had him as #2 on the candidate list behind Mark Helfrich. So I wouldn't be surprised if Butch made queries about him; I also wouldn't be surprised if Orgeron were dramatically exaggerating this. Making a phone call to Canada is different from offering him a contract.

At whatever point DeBord turned in his notice, I am sure somebody at Tennessee made queries with his agent, but I don't know if a phone call to Canada was made. I believe keeping Larry Scott and his ties to S. Florida recruits trumped anything they already knew about Canada's offensive schemes. And if the only proof of this is Orgeron's word? In one ear and out the other.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not a fan of Orgeron and I do believe he is eggsateratin (his word). It will be an interesting game between us and LSU, and the OC question of who got the better will have been noted by then but it will be interesting to watch the OC's operate during that game. Go Vols!!

He obviously has a good agent that was able to spin a lot of names. Amazing how we believe that some of the time but not other times.

Dude made his own language and he's the only one that speaks it. How the hell does the author know what he said?

Reactions: 3 people
more to work with right now at UT which is crazy to think. They have Guice for this yr, a crap QB and about 3 OL worth a damn. LSU is the one SEC team i think may really struggle but since their name is "LSU" i know that nobody will agree, which is fine.

I'm pretty sure we wanted Canada but somehow Butch couldn't get him because Butch didn't want to give up "his offensive philosophy".

VN Store

Back