Overly concerned?

UTP69

Please tell me that I am overly concerned about the GT option offense. Air Force ran a flex bone offense against us and we squeezed out a 31-30 win.That was after they had 280 yards rushing. I thought it was interesting that ACC teams try to have the week off before playing GT to prepare for their offense. Tell me to relax, okay.
Go Orange.:thumbsup:

Hopefully, Shoop has to be better than Sunseri or Jancek. If he is not then you can expect the same results, and so far I wouldn't say his scheme is that much better based off of last year's results. I would like to believe that with Jancek and Martinez now gone that the defense will see some real strides.

Reactions: 1 person
Please tell me that I am overly concerned about the GT option offense. Air Force ran a flex bone offense against us and we squeezed out a 31-30 win.That was after they had 280 yards rushing. I thought it was interesting that ACC teams try to have the week off before playing GT to prepare for their offense. Tell me to relax, okay.

We didn't have the time to prepare for AF and I may be wrong but thinking we played UF the following week and I'm sure there may have been some looking ahead to Florida. But fortunately we play them game 1 so we can prepare for it, they also have a new starting QB and hopefully being game 1 they won't be as sharp running their offense. So hopefully the combo of a new QB for them, being game 1, we play Indiana St the following week and us having all summer to prepare for it that we won't be chasing them up and down the field like we did Air Force.

Your concern is very legitimate. If the past is any indicator, then UT will struggle mightily against GT. They simply have not faired well against teams that run the option.

Reactions: 2 people
Your concern is very legitimate. If the past is any indicator, then UT will struggle mightily against GT. They simply have not faired well against teams that run the option.

That was about 5 DC's ago. Using it to predict future outcomes is ridiculous

Reactions: 9 people
The dismissal of their top running back a few days ago can't hurt. Some say it's a "plug and play" system but he was by far their biggest weapon

Shoop's scheme is designed for more modern offensive systems, so we won't see much of it. We will see good old fashioned assignment defense. Can our man beat their man. Get more defenders to the point of attack than blockers. Three linebackers plugging holes. Keep good leverage and swarm to the ball. Try to get them behind in down and distance.

To be honest I feel we have the athletes and speed to do well defensively. Speed on D is what cause the newer offensive systems to replace the bones. We have had time to prepare so I am not to worried. My only concern is our poor tackling and lack of toughness last season. I hope that is fixed.

Reactions: 4 people
Whole offseason to prep for GT, they are losing their top RB and breaking in a new QB, we return most of our talent on defense....we will be fine

Reactions: 3 people
Lol these people that post some comparisons to a team we had like 20 years ago vs this them, here's a little solid for ya. Know what's the same from then to now? We still wear orange and white and are called UT Vols, that's it not a single player coach or Ad is still here from then. Move on

If GT offense gives us too much trouble, we are in for a long season. They may do Triple option and all that stuff but we will be facing much more potent offenses with much better play-makers over the course of the season.

Most of our defense from 2006 has since graduated, so we'll have a little different look now.

I'm not concerned I think we tare that offense apart. We've had all off-season to prepare and plenty of talent on defense. GBO!

Last edited:
If GT offense gives us too much trouble, we are in for a long season. They may do Triple option and all that stuff but we will be facing much more potent offenses with much better play-makers over the course of the season.

It's not about the potency; it's about the gimmick.

Yo that Air Force game still lingers in my mind even though we won. I remember leaving a friends birthday early to go home and catch it. That may have been the most frustrated i've ever been watching Vols football.

I was at that AF game in 06 and to their credit, AF was running the option to perfection that night (nobody knew where the ball was, especially our defense). Chavis should have had the guys more prepared because it took a goal line stop by Xavier Mitchell to secure the win. With that being said, Shoop has had all off season to prepare. If their O is kicking are D around, then they are just better. An eleven year old game will not determine the outcome of the upcoming one.

The dismissal of their top running back a few days ago can't hurt. Some say it's a "plug and play" system but he was by far their biggest weapon

Don't forget their #2 RB transferred in the spring after he got beat out for the starting job...that kid who was kicked off the team is a legit NFL RB...

They do have a very highly recruited freshman as well as an experienced junior but those guys would be #3 and #4 if the other two were still there...

But the problem playing tech is much more than just facing talented personnel...it's such a different scheme and a good QB can confuse and wear out the D...I do remember that AF game...their QB was awesome - a magician with the ball...

Y'all only faced 1 team that was more efficient on offense than GT last year and that was Bama. Don't let our style of offense make you think we don't have play makers. Just go look up Clinton lynch. We were in the top 3 offenses last year in big plays as well.

Reactions: 4 people
No one has mentioned is the hiring of Charlton Warren as DB coach in the off season. CCW coached at Air Force which runs...the triple option. While no two offensive schemes are the same, this is such a unique system that CCW's input should be extremely valuable. Who else on the defensive side of the ball has seen this offense more than he has?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back