Power-T Talk Podcast: Defense and "Not Trey Smith"

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Hey guys, 005 and I are back with another episode this week with a Vol only focus this time. We talk about the defense, specifically the job Bob Shoop has done and if we still believe in him. 005 and I then go into each position group with a main question and some two deep talk. We also talk some about Brady Hoke and Charlton Warren.

So Trey Smith, pretty good right? We discuss his impact at Tennessee and on the recruiting trail. We also do some quick twitch about the recruiting (with the caveat "Not Trey Smith" because he was basically the answer to every question) on the 2017 recruiting class. We also discuss if we are happy with the recruiting at Tennessee. Is Butch Jones doing a good job?

Here is the link for the podcast at blogtalkradio.com: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/power-t-talk/2017/08/21/season-4-episode-2-defense-and-not-trey-smith

We are also on iTunes, Google Play Store, and Podcast Addict under "VolNation Power-T Talk". Please subscribe!

Reactions: 7 people
I watched the replay of the music city bowl last night. The defensive schemes were solid, the players execution, not so much. We should have had the game put away in the first half but the D just gave away too much.

During bowl prep they say they worked on tackling and It showed. We tackled much better than during the back half if the regular season, but could still use some improvement. Too many times we missed a TFL and gave up a first down. Our technique improved but we still need more strength and toughness. In another thread the op was asking who our alpha male is on D. I had no good answer but we need several players trying to be that guy.

Our tackles played much better but still got pushed. We missed our bigger stronger faster starters. Replacements lacked strength and toughness. Come on Rock.

Our secondary was a little improved but still below average. They went at our man coverage and beat us up. Charlton had work to do. Has he gotten it done? We can only hope.

You still need to be closer to the mic or something Z.

Agree - very uneven sound. To hear the softer voice I had to turn the volume up so the louder voice was painfully load.

Work on the sound balance -- enjoyed the content and the back and forth.

Looking forward to game week!

Reactions: 4 people
Agree - very uneven sound. To hear the softer voice I had to turn the volume up so the louder voice was painfully load.

Work on the sound balance -- enjoyed the content and the back and forth.

Looking forward to game week!

I was listening on my phone, i had to put the phone right by my hear for Zack's part and then Daniel started talking and it would scare me and I'd have to move it away.

I watched the replay of the music city bowl last night. The defensive schemes were solid, the players execution, not so much. We should have had the game put away in the first half but the D just gave away too much.

During bowl prep they say they worked on tackling and It showed. We tackled much better than during the back half if the regular season, but could still use some improvement. Too many times we missed a TFL and gave up a first down. Our technique improved but we still need more strength and toughness. In another thread the op was asking who our alpha male is on D. I had no good answer but we need several players trying to be that guy.

Our tackles played much better but still got pushed. We missed our bigger stronger faster starters. Replacements lacked strength and toughness. Come on Rock.

Our secondary was a little improved but still below average. They went at our man coverage and beat us up. Charlton had work to do. Has he gotten it done? We can only hope.

Nebraska was NOT a very good team.......probably the worst of the 3 teams we have played in Bowls....

flat out.. unless trey smith outright wins a job at LT or RT he should redshirt. We have a glut of talent at guard. We don't need help there unless we have a massive rash of injuries.If he can't beat out the 2 guys at Tackle he needs to sit. Not a knock on him but this is the SEC you start freshmen at OL because there is no other choice. IF I have a senior at a position at Oline and an similarly performing i(n practice) true freshman that true freshman sits. Starting a true freshman at OL means that u have no faith in depth. No matter how talented he is unless he bows everyone else off the field. Oline is the one place where experience and snaps played matters more than raw talent hands down.

flat out.. unless trey smith outright wins a job at LT or RT he should redshirt. We have a glut of talent at guard. We don't need help there unless we have a massive rash of injuries.If he can't beat out the 2 guys at Tackle he needs to sit. Not a knock on him but this is the SEC you start freshmen at OL because there is no other choice. IF I have a senior at a position at Oline and an similarly performing i(n practice) true freshman that true freshman sits. Starting a true freshman at OL means that u have no faith in depth. No matter how talented he is unless he bows everyone else off the field. Oline is the one place where experience and snaps played matters more than raw talent hands down.

Trey Smith ain't redshirting. Lol

Reactions: 5 people
Hey guys, 005 and I are back with another episode this week with a Vol only focus this time. We talk about the defense, specifically the job Bob Shoop has done and if we still believe in him. 005 and I then go into each position group with a main question and some two deep talk. We also talk some about Brady Hoke and Charlton Warren.

So Trey Smith, pretty good right? We discuss his impact at Tennessee and on the recruiting trail. We also do some quick twitch about the recruiting (with the caveat "Not Trey Smith" because he was basically the answer to every question) on the 2017 recruiting class. We also discuss if we are happy with the recruiting at Tennessee. Is Butch Jones doing a good job?

Here is the link for the podcast at blogtalkradio.com: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/power-t-talk/2017/08/21/season-4-episode-2-defense-and-not-trey-smith

We are also on iTunes, Google Play Store, and Podcast Addict under "VolNation Power-T Talk". Please subscribe!
You guys mentioned that Trey wasn't rated very well by Rivals, for unmentioned reasons. I was curious why Rivals did this to Smith?

I was listening on my phone, i had to put the phone right by my hear for Zack's part and then Daniel started talking and it would scare me and I'd have to move it away.

So here is what I think it is. In order to record I have to hear myself in my headphones. In my headphones I hear myself well, but when I record it's not showing very much. So imma adjust and play around with it tonight and find the right touch.

You guys mentioned that Trey wasn't rated very well by Rivals, for unmentioned reasons. I was curious why Rivals did this to Smith?

The rumor is he wouldn't camp with rivals over some sorta spat with them during the process and was "punished" with a lower rating

Also we got the most "first day listens" for the show yesterday. Really love it guys.

Reactions: 2 people

I thought the front seven play was a lot better in the bowl game. Kongbo and Vickers played very well and DKJR looked like his old self. The secondary still scares me. I think it's the team biggest weakness.

Not only is Trey not red shirting, he's gonna be our starting right guard. This OL badly, and I mean BADLY needs some toughness and nastiness of attitude....and from all reports, looks like Smith is the one to infuse that into the group, along with Jack Jones who it appears will anchor the LG. Trey HAS to play in 2017 imo.

Reactions: 2 people
Not only is Trey not red shirting, he's gonna be our starting right guard. This OL badly, and I mean BADLY needs some toughness and nastiness of attitude....and from all reports, looks like Smith is the one to infuse that into the group, along with Jack Jones who it appears will anchor the LG. Trey HAS to play in 2017 imo.

I still think he might be the RT for Ga Tech

The rumor is he wouldn't camp with rivals over some sorta spat with them during the process and was "punished" with a lower rating

He was still a 4-star top 50 player though.

Well he flat out isn't redshirting, no should he. He is physically ready to help this O-Line, period! GBO!!!!

VN Store

Back