Why I think this year is different

VOL 4 Life 83

I don't post that often with my work schedule, but I had some time this morning to ponder the season that is upon us and wanted to share my thoughts and garner some conversation.

I truly believe this year is different for the VOLS and here is 10 reasons why...

1) There is almost ZERO hype surrounding this team, and that's a good thing. Bama aside, it seems (IMO) the teams that aren't talked about perform above their expectations. This team is extremely talented and has the ability to make it to Atlanta.

2) We have two extremely talented QB's. Whichever one steps on the field is more than capable to lead this team to an SEC Championship appearance. I would even venture to say that they are both as talented as any other QB in the SEC. Remember what Johnny Football did his Redshirt Freshman year?

3) You can say what you want, but our defense was decimated with injuries last year. I expect a great improvement on that side of the ball.

4) This is the best coaching staff Jones has ever had, and it will show with play on the field. Think about it, four of our coordinators/position coaches have been head coaches at one point in time. That is a wealth of experience that is being passed down to our guys.

5) A legitimate QB coach was well overdue. It will show.

6) Florida and Georgia are highly overrated this year. A 2-3 loss SEC east team will more than likely be in Atlanta. We have the talent to do it.

7) We have arguably a top 3 OL in the entire SEC. We already had a stout running game. Expect that to continue.

8) I just have a really good vibe with Larry Scott calling plays. I expect to see a little more of a traditional offense this year. See what we did running I formation, QB under center, or two TE sets and foam at the mouth with the potential.

9) Jones NEEDS to get to the SEC championship. He blew it last year. The steps he has taken in the offseason with new hires and cutting ties with old friends shows he knows that too.

10) Eff Bama, Florida, Georgia and Vandy

GO VOLS!!

Reactions: 28 people
I think this year we just go out and play good things will happen. I'm with the poster here. Seems like without being talked about all off season pressure is off a bit which is good. Like Corso use to say watch out the fox might sneak up behind the chicken coop.Most definitely were the fox.

We have the chance to have a solid year. OL has to play better and D has to show up. If those things happen I will be fairly happy. Very nervous about this season though.

19 years ago we went 13-0 and ended the season ranked number 1 in the nation.

(19 + 13) • 0 + 1 = 1

I think we're gonna be number 1 this year, fellas. The math works out!

Reactions: 3 people
The Vols have two indisputable upgrades over last year: A real Strength Coach and a honest to goodness QB coach. It may turn out that neither are world beaters, but both are definite improvements.

Reactions: 2 people
6) Florida and Georgia are highly overrated this year. A 2-3 loss SEC east team will more than likely be in Atlanta. We have the talent to do it.

I've seen several posters on some of the Florida boards saying Del Rio will win the starting QB role. If they are correct, I think it bodes well for us. Also, they believe Zaire is in 3rd place after the second scrimmage.

My 1st thought was that 2 and 5 is the same. Giving room for one more. Go Vols! Is still the best reason to expect greatness from the Vols. On any given day. Why not every single day?

Win today. Win tomorrow. That's a Vol standard.

we are close in talent with most teams again fellers. This all comes down to Personal Determination. Each player has to "WANT TO WIN!" Someone mentioned K Mac in another thread, what he said unfortunately made a little sense to me: he likes the attention and enjoys himself.. will he "WANT TO WIN" on the field... we can only hope. The Drive to suck it up and beat your opponent is Less than what it used to be.... we need our guys to be Focused! I am ready to watch me some football and hope it all turns out well.

Go Vols

I think this year we just go out and play good things will happen. I'm with the poster here. Seems like without being talked about all off season pressure is off a bit which is good. Like Corso use to say watch out the fox might sneak up behind the chicken coop.Most definitely were the fox.

That's silly. We don't sneak up on anybody. Look at their calendar. They circle our game.

It's a big deal to beat the Vols at football. Sure we've been on a terrible run, but we are working our way out. They made their hay while we were down. Things are about to get right this year.

Nobody overlooks us. We get their A game.

It's not about them it's about us.

Work hard and go execute.

Reactions: 2 people
Why does everyone think that UGA is over rated?

The talent underperforms every year. They should be winning NC left and right, but for some reason they just can't. Snake bit or cursed it's something.

I think it's because they wilt under pressure. When the going get's tough they fold. Stage fright.

That's silly. We don't sneak up on anybody. Look at their calendar. They circle our game.

It's a big deal to beat the Vols at football. Sure we've been on a terrible run, but we are working our way out. They made their hay while we were down. Things are about to get right this year.

Nobody overlooks us. We get their A game.

It's not about them it's about us.

Work hard and go execute.
I completely agree with you nobody ever overlooks us and we always get their A game no doubt about it. Also it is big to beat us at football. I just think its a good thing that were going into season on a quiet note.

The talent underperforms every year. They should be winning NC left and right, but for some reason they just can't. Snake bit or cursed it's something.

I think it's because they wilt under pressure. When the going get's tough they fold. Stage fright.

They are the only team from the east that has come close to beating Bama in the SECC game. They are loaded this year and the east sucks. Wouldn't surprise me to see them run the table in the east this year.

Reactions: 1 person
The good news is we get Florida early. Replacing those 8 starters on defense, maybe we can school those greenhorns!

Nice to see a positive, realistic post ever so often.

#3 We were the most injured team in America last season.

#4 This is a big upgrade to the coaching staff. Glad to see Martinez, DeBord, and the worst coach of all Mahoney go.

#7 For us to take the next step we need better line play. This is a line of scrimmage league and games are won in the trenches. We honestly haven't had a good offensive line since Butch has been here.

They are the only team from the east that has come close to beating Bama in the SECC game. They are loaded this year and the east sucks. Wouldn't surprise me to see them run the table in the east this year.

Sure. Why not? Except they will choke it away. It's part of their culture.

The talent is there. They just can't handle the pressure of the big game.

Georgia has the horses (dogs?), but can the coaches get it done? I keep saying Florida is down, but they have beat us more times than not, anyway. I guess we are just going to have to prove it on the field for a while before I'm going to be confident in that one again. We SHOULD be able to beat them this year...but it is played in Florida, where heat can be a factor.

7) We have arguably a top 3 OL in the entire SEC. We already had a stout running game. Expect that to continue.

Again, we keep saying this...At least, we have a new coach there. So, maybe...Just have to see it to believe it...and I keep forgetting, like almost everyone else, we have a new strength coach too...We will see.

VN Store

Back