What's the First Game You Remember?

Enki_Amenra

Wanna Bet?
I was screwing around on the internet this morning and somehow found my way to the Sugar Vols replay video. I've heard about the game a lot and have seen many times, but I don't remember it. . . I was 6 years old.

I started trying to think of the first game I actually remember, without being told about it from someone else or only just remembering flashes of the game. I remember being 6-8 years old and listening to John Ward call the plays, watching a game on t.v and some flashes of plays, but I can't remember which game it was.

The first game I actually remember seeing must've been around 1989, when we beat Auburn, who was pretty good that year. I've been a Vol fan before I knew what being a fan was, but that's the first game I remember clearly for myself.

What's the first game you remember clearly?

Reactions: 3 people
I don't remember the Sugar Vols, either. Was deployed in Germany, missed 3 years of Vols football...didn't see a single game, didn't hear one on radio, either, for 3 years. Only knew of Condredge Holloway thanks to my dad, when I called home once a month or so.

First game I remember was somewhere around 1970. I want to say it was against Penn State, but I honestly don't remember much of the game. I was a kid, there with my Pop Warner team and our coaches and some parents. I remember the huge V O L S panels above the top of the bowl at one end zone most vividly, and then running around on the field (astro-turf) after the game was over with my friends.

Funny the things that stick in a kid's head.

The 1st game I attended was '79 against Utah. The 1st one I really remember was the next year against USC.

My first specific memory of watching the Vols is very fuzzy but i remember that I was hooked right away. I don't even know what game it was but I was 9 and flipping through the channels when I landed on the UT game. The first thing I saw was Heath Shuler throwing a bomb down the sideline for about a 40 yard gain and followed up shortly after by Little Man going over the top (95% sure it was Stewart.)

The first game I can remember intentionally watching was the Alabama game were Peyton broke the streak (95 I think)

The first game I went to was against Kentucky during Jamal's freshman year

Reactions: 2 people
1957, Tennessee v Alabama in Legion Field. Bobby Gordon leads Vols to 14-0 win. I was 7. My dad carried me out of Legion Field on his shoulders.

Reactions: 14 people
I remember hearing all the older men talking about Majors coming home in 77. I can still remember listening to the California game on the radio with my dad out in his shop while he was working on a car and how mad he was when we lost. I was 4 at the time and I've been hooked ever since

The 1965 Bluebonnet Bowl vs. Tulsa, very vaguely. The 1966 Gator Bowl vs. a Syracuse team, led by Larry Csonka and Floyd Little, more clearly. The '67 season was the first that we listened by radio from beginning to end.

Reactions: 1 person
1957, Tennessee v Alabama in Legion Field. Bobby Gordon leads Vols to 14-0 win. I was 7. My dad carried me out of Legion Field on his shoulders.

I've heard about players from that era, but only the most famous ones. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure I've ever watched a full game from any time before the '80s. I guess I'll need to change that ASAP!

My parents were not real big sports fans so I was not a fan until my teen years. The first exposure to Tennessee football I remember was the 1986 Sugar Bowl. I was young and I only remember pieces of it, Jeff Powell's run being one. I also remember my cousins listening to 1988 Georgia on the radio and their reactions to that loss. The first game that I intentionally watched was the 1989 Auburn game and I have been a fan since.

Reactions: 4 people
I watched the Vols on TV in the late 50's and early 60's. First Vols game I remember attending was in the mid to late 70's when the Vols played Maryland.

I looked it up a while back, but have forgotten again. The first game I remember was stomping UGA in Neyland and the score was something like 44-10.

I know I watched earlier games with my dad, but the first one I explicitly remember was the 1991 Sugar Bowl versus Virginia.

Don't really remember my first game, but I have VIVID memories of my first Vol walk in 97. I was ten and my uncle lifted me on his shoulders to see all the players walk by. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

I looked it up a while back, but have forgotten again. The first game I remember was stomping UGA in Neyland and the score was something like 44-10.

The closest candidates I can find for home victories of that magnitude over Georgia would be 45-19 (2009) and 38-6 (1993).

The closest candidates I can find for home victories of that magnitude over Georgia would be 45-19 (2009) and 38-6 (1993).

That 2009 GA game stands out to me as one of my favorite game day experiences.. there was some kind of magic in the air that evening! The energy in the stadium was extraordinary! I've been to most of the biggest games since 97 and many times the stadium has been way louder, more was at stake, etc but there was just something extra special in the air that day

My earliest memory is a Kentucky game in the late 60's or ealy 70's where Bobby Majors had a punt return TD and Conrad Graham intercepted a pitch out and scored. He was a DB I Believe. First game attended was a Duke game at Neyland in 1974, here again I think. Most memorable was the Jimmy Streeter Notre Dame game. The vols won 40-17. Hubert Simpson ran over everybody that day!!
:lolabove:

IIRC it was 1987 or 1988 at Neyland & We were up 45-0. I asked my dad who we were playing and he replied, " Son, it is a crappy team from Nashville called Vanderbilt." First UT memory I recall when I was 5 yrs. old

My earliest memory is LSU 1959. I attended before that but don't have clear memories. I absolutely still see Billy Cannon getting stuffed on a 2pt conversion to give a mediocre UT team a win against #1 in the country.

Reactions: 8 people
My earliest memory is LSU 1959. I attended before that but don't have clear memories. I absolutely still see Billy Cannon getting stuffed on a 2pt conversion to give a mediocre UT team a win against #1 in the country.

Like given for this story.

First game I really remember watching is 98 UF. I was 9 years old. Didnt understand football but thought it was cool to see my dad so excited about it. Ill never forget when they missed that FG.

IIRC it was 1987 or 1988 at Neyland & We were up 45-0. I asked my dad who we were playing and he replied, " Son, it is a crappy team from Nashville called Vanderbilt." First UT memory I recall when I was 5 yrs. old

There is a certain beauty to a shutout, particularly when the opponent is the Commode flushers. We did, indeed, defeat them at home 45-0 in '91 and 49-20 in 1990. I don't remember whether Vandy tacked on some cosmetic scores at the end of the latter game. Scores in the late '80s, however, were much closer, 38-36 in 1987, which actually involved us digging ourselves out of a massive 28-3 deficit at the end of the first quarter, and 14-7 and 17-10 in '88 and '89, respectively.

The 64' game at Vandy. We lost 7-0, but I was hooked on the Orange for good after that day. That was Dickey's first season.

VN Store

Back