'quiet' Ty Chandler already making plenty of preseason noise

kamoshika

Screen-Shot-2017-08-04-at-11.39.57-PM_b74c1o.png

“He’s a beast,” Kelly told VolQuest. “He’s really aggressive. He’s really coachable. Great kid, came from a great program. He’s technically sound. He just has a lot of raw talent.”

While the 5-foot-11, 195-pound freshman is definitely still learning what it takes to be a complete college tailback, Gillespie is impressed with Chandler's playbook retention and pass protection prowess as a freshman. The fact that Chandler is a quiet kid who’d be happy just riding 4-wheelers and horses certainly surprised him a bit, but Gillespie likes Chandler’s overall “presence.”

“Through the recruiting process, I thought he was a little quiet. He didn’t really care much about recruiting, so I didn’t really get to know his personality a lot,” Tennessee’s running backs coach explained. “But I think the toughness he’s shown so far has been the biggest thing. He has a quiet presence. When he walks in the room, you can tell Ty is in the room. His teammates respect him. The offensive line likes the fact he plays with a lot of passion. He plays with a lot of toughness, so I think that’s been the biggest thing that’s surprised me. He’s a quiet kid, but it’s a quiet toughness that he’s really showing.”

https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/the-quiet-ty-chandler-already-making-plenty-of-preseason-noise-for-vols

Reactions: 29 people
I just played NCAA 14 with the 'unofficial' community updated rosters for 2017-2018. I downloaded the new roster from 'BossHawgMichigan' for PS3 and played an exhibition game with GT. I put in Ty in the second quarter and won 135 to 20 something. I also took Mills off of GT's roster, of course. UT had like 1600 yards of offense and about 20 sacks. GT got a couple of long passes in and had around 350 yards of offense.

Anyway. I had a couple of drinks tonight and thought I would share.

Oh yeah, that Chandler kid is gonna be good.

Reactions: 11 people
I just played NCAA 14 with the 'unofficial' community updated rosters for 2017-2018. I downloaded the new roster from 'BossHawgMichigan' for PS3 and played an exhibition game with GT. I put in Ty in the second quarter and won 135 to 20 something. I also took Mills off of GT's roster, of course. UT had like 1600 yards of offense and about 20 sacks. GT got a couple of long passes in and had around 350 yards of offense.

Anyway. I had a couple of drinks tonight and thought I would share.

Oh yeah, that Chandler kid is gonna be good.

Sounds about right.

This kid is special, both as a young man and a football player and those who were very quick to dismiss him and immediately anoint Jordan as Kelly's backup after the first day in shorts were way off base imho. No offense to Jordan, but Ty will be the next great Tennessee running back imho.

Reactions: 5 people
This kid is special, both as a young man and a football player and those who were very quick to dismiss him and immediately anoint Jordan as Kelly's backup after the first day in shorts were way off base imho. No offense to Jordan, but Ty will be the next great Tennessee running back imho.

That's no different than anyone getting on here after a 3* Jordan commits to bash him. Very simple to see Jordan is going to be special here also even though it might not be this year.

Reactions: 6 people
Chandler will be a household name by November. So will John Kelly.

At work yesterday a couple of my coworkers who are Clemson and Carolina fans were all talking football and I've been pretty quiet about football this offseason. But they were asking about Tennessee's running game bc of Kamara and Hurd being gone. I just smiled and said "Tennessees running game will be better this season"

They just laughed. Told me Tennessee is always preseason champions. Blah blah blah. Later I texted them Chandler and Kelly's highlight videos. They were really surprised at how well both of them run. None of them knew who either of these guys were.

Tennessee is in cruise control under the radar man. Tennessee always plays better from under the radar.

Reactions: 11 people
That's no different than anyone getting on here after a 3* Jordan commits to bash him. Very simple to see Jordan is going to be special here also even though it might not be this year.

First off, never bashed Jordan, never would. Secondly, my post wasn't anti-Jordan, it was pro Chandler. Finally, a lot of posters on here are very often quick to make a knee jerk judgment with virtually no information and certainly no rational thought, which is exactly what happened when a media member said "Jordan was made out of steel" and "built better than Chandler despite being listed as the approximate same size".

Perhaps Jordan will wind up being a great player here, I certainly hope he does as a lifelong Vol fan. But imho, it's much more likely that if only one of the two leave here as an all-time great Tennessee running back, it's much more likely to be Ty Chandler, not matter what he looks like in shorts on the first day of fall camp.

Reactions: 3 people
First off, never bashed Jordan, never would. Secondly, my post wasn't anti-Jordan, it was pro Chandler. Finally, a lot of posters on here are very often quick to make a knee jerk judgment with virtually no information and certainly no rational thought, which is exactly what happened when a media member said "Jordan was made out of steel" and "built better than Chandler despite being listed as the approximate same size".

Perhaps Jordan will wind up being a great player here, I certainly hope he does as a lifelong Vol fan. But imho, it's much more likely that if only one of the two leave here as an all-time great Tennessee running back, it's much more likely to be Ty Chandler, not matter what he looks like in shorts on the first day of fall camp.

Never said you did. You made a point and I made a point. That bold goes both ways which was my point.

Reactions: 4 people
Never said you did. You made a point and I made a point. That bold goes both ways which was my point.

Curious....who bashed Jordan and what specifically did they say other than evidently saying he was "only a 3 star" or something along those lines?

Reactions: 3 people

I don't remember anyone dissing Chandler in that discussion. In fact, I recall someone making what I thought was a pretty smart observation that the reactions about Jordan probably had a lot to do with a lack of expectations about him. And several posters agreed with that observation. I think the tone of the conversation was more about how lucky we were to have two potentially great incoming freshman tailbacks, instead of just the one great one that we already felt like we had in Chandler.

Reactions: 1 person
Finally, a lot of posters on here are very often quick to make a knee jerk judgment with virtually no information and certainly no rational thought

Wow...this is the most succinct description of Volnation ever! Well-done! :hi:

We may disagree every now and again...but you nailed it!

Wow...this is the most succinct description of Volnation ever! Well-done! :hi:

We may disagree every now and again...but you nailed it!

You're not serious, are you?

Haha, I ask because a blind man could see that happening every day. It ain't brain science.

Screen-Shot-2017-08-04-at-11.39.57-PM_b74c1o.png

“He’s a beast,” Kelly told VolQuest. “He’s really aggressive. He’s really coachable. Great kid, came from a great program. He’s technically sound. He just has a lot of raw talent.”

While the 5-foot-11, 195-pound freshman is definitely still learning what it takes to be a complete college tailback, Gillespie is impressed with Chandler's playbook retention and pass protection prowess as a freshman. The fact that Chandler is a quiet kid who’d be happy just riding 4-wheelers and horses certainly surprised him a bit, but Gillespie likes Chandler’s overall “presence.”

“Through the recruiting process, I thought he was a little quiet. He didn’t really care much about recruiting, so I didn’t really get to know his personality a lot,” Tennessee’s running backs coach explained. “But I think the toughness he’s shown so far has been the biggest thing. He has a quiet presence. When he walks in the room, you can tell Ty is in the room. His teammates respect him. The offensive line likes the fact he plays with a lot of passion. He plays with a lot of toughness, so I think that’s been the biggest thing that’s surprised me. He’s a quiet kid, but it’s a quiet toughness that he’s really showing.”

https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/the-quiet-ty-chandler-already-making-plenty-of-preseason-noise-for-vols

I like this kid already.Keeps his mouth shut and just plays.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't remember anyone dissing Chandler in that discussion. In fact, I recall someone making what I thought was a pretty smart observation that the reactions about Jordan probably had a lot to do with a lack of expectations about him. And several posters agreed with that observation. I think the tone of the conversation was more about how lucky we were to have two potentially great incoming freshman tailbacks, instead of just the one great one that we already felt like we had in Chandler.

Said nothing about anybody "dissing Chandler". I said many posters do, and did, take virtually no information and run with a knee jerk reaction....here are a few from one of the threads I read from the first day of practice....

"Looks like another John Kelly.
I think he wins the backup RB spot."

"I think he easily wins out the #2 spot behind JK."

"No he's right. Tim Jordan is special. He'll be the backup to John Kelly this year. And a big time factor for us."

(This poster agreed that Jordan would "easily win out the #2 spot...."):

"I agree, I said this when he committed and everyone was heartbroken over not getting the kid who went to FSU but his tape was very comparable imo and he is a superb athlete....."

Again, didn't say anybody dissed Chandler, just that a handful of posters took very limited information and had him easily winning the backup spot while discounting Ty. That's all I'm saying.

Said nothing about anybody "dissing Chandler". I said many posters do, and did, take virtually no information and run with a knee jerk reaction....here are a few from one of the threads I read from the first day of practice....

"Looks like another John Kelly.
I think he wins the backup RB spot."

"I think he easily wins out the #2 spot behind JK."

"No he's right. Tim Jordan is special. He'll be the backup to John Kelly this year. And a big time factor for us."

(This poster agreed that Jordan would "easily win out the #2 spot...."):

"I agree, I said this when he committed and everyone was heartbroken over not getting the kid who went to FSU but his tape was very comparable imo and he is a superb athlete....."

Again, didn't say anybody dissed Chandler, just that a handful of posters took very limited information and had him easily winning the backup spot while discounting Ty. That's all I'm saying.

Used several quotes but by only 2 posters correct?
One being D4H?

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back