Clips
[twitterv]898631779262881792[/twitterv]
[twitterv]898635122970312704[/twitterv]
[twitterv]898635145661431808[/twitterv]
[twitterv]898636604276973569[/twitterv]
[twitterv]898636606805954561[/twitterv]
[twitterv]898648034564853761[/twitterv]

Notes

Butch Jones stayed with the wide receivers for a large part of the open period of practice today and was intense in his coaching with the group. Jones and the rest of the coaches made sure to work on fundamentals and toughness with the young receivers.

John Kelly has some really, really good hands. He snagged a one-handed catch during pass catching drills today, and he’s showed off his hands before during other practices. The Vols have made a habit of using running backs in the passing game since Butch Jones arrived here, and Kelly is trying to show that he has what it takes to continue that.

Tyler Byrd continues to impress me. Even when he makes mistakes, he quickly learns from them and is able to correct them. Brandon Johnson has also shown the knack for quick learning like Byrd.
n. rutherford

Jones spent the entire time with the wideouts Friday, and during the Maxim 1 drill with the receivers, several receivers dropped simple passes to open the drill, causing Jones to go irate. The energy picked up thereafter, but Jones still made Tyler Byrd and another wideout redo a sluggish rep.
Scott. At least seven balls hit the ground during the drill, and Jones was none too pleased while making his own observations audible on the microphone. Jones did compliment Josh Smith, Jauan Jennings, Ty Chandler and Jordan Murphy during the drill. Also, John Kelly had a nifty one-handed catch.

Quarterbacks Quinten Dormady and Jarrett Guarantano were fine Friday, with most of drill’s ire directed at the receivers. I thought both guys looked quite sharp during the pass-skeleton where the QBs worked on play-action rollouts, finding receivers in the flat on arrow routes.

The Vols did return a key offensive lineman, as senior Jashon Robertson was back out at practice.
j. simonton

Quinten Dormady and Jarrett Guarantano both looked solid throwing intermediate and deep balls

The running backs drew a lot of praise from Robert Gillespie. I thought all three freshmen were looking good in pass catching drills and block shedding

Walt Wells was really working the offensive line to make sure they were doing drills perfectly

Freshmen receivers Josh Palmer and Jordan Murphy both continue to show flashes. Jauan Jennings, Marquez Callaway, Josh Smith and Tyler Byrd all looked solid as well

Ty Chandler and Carlin Fils-aime appeared to be switching in and out in terms of getting second reps behind John Kelly, who was looking pretty explosive in various drills
n. davis

Tennessee's offensive line didn't exactly play very well in Wednesday night's scrimmage and Neyland Stadium, and Walt Wells still was fuming nearly 48 hours later.

The offensive line coach was very animated and very loud throughout the first periods of practice as he barked angrily at his players as they went through various individual drills.

Wells laid into more than one veteran during some sled work and made one of them do the drill three times before he was appeased with the player's effort and technique.

After getting some work at center this week, Jack Jones took some reps at right guard on Friday, while Brett Kendrick got some work at left tackle along with Drew Richmond.

Tennessee junior defensive tackle Shy Tuttle has continued to increase his workload throughout camp, gradually working his way back from the knee injury he suffered last season.

His steady improvement again showed during some early one-on-one technique work for the Vols’ offensive and defensive linemen. Tuttle moved well during his head-to-head matchup with redshirt freshman guard Ryan Johnson, pushing Johnson into the backfield a bit and looking more like the player who has been one of Tennessee’s best defensive tackles when healthy over the past two years.
p. brown

Last edited:
Reactions: 52 people
That Kelly catch.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 13 people
seemed like quite a few underthrown balls, but that Kelly catch.....:eek:k:

Every single throw I saw was catchable. And not "down at your ankles but dig it out anyway" catchable.
They were all somewhere between waist level, and reach-up-for-it level.

Some might've been back-shoulder intentionally, which can make them look under-thrown. But all in all, a lot of nice passing.

The worst throw was actually the one Kelly went up for one-handed. That was over-thrown.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm not sure I understand the point of running routes at what looks like 3/4 speed. Wouldn't that do more harm than good in terms of timing?

Reactions: 3 people
Every single throw I saw was catchable. And not "down at your ankles but dig it out anyway" catchable.
They were all somewhere between waist level, and reach-up-for-it level.

Some might've been back-shoulder intentionally, which can make them look under-thrown. But all in all, a lot of nice passing.

The worst throw was actually the one Kelly went up for one-handed. That was over-thrown.
Who threw that pass?

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm not sure I understand the point of running routes at what looks like 3/4 speed. Wouldn't that do more harm than good in terms of timing?

right now, it's more about getting routes in your head where they become second nature...also, looking the ball into your hands...reps...reps...reps...:)

PS...won't affect QB play...:thumbsup:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
Who threw that pass?

#17, Will McBride.

p.s. Not casting shade. Anyone can have a throw get away from them from time to time. Just saying, in general, the passing looked really solid, what we saw in those tapes anyway. That toss, the least accurate of the lot, was still catchable (thanks to a highlight reel-worthy effort by Kelly, heh).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Didn't see Trey Smith with the other offensive linemen. I know he's been dinged up and has been in a green jersey. Did they hold him out of practice?

Discouraging to hear the OL looked bad in the scrimmage.

You and I have been around a while now.

Doesn't this happen every year?

One practice... "OL was terrible. DL coming along". Next practice it flips. Then it flips again.

I have no doubt there are legit coaching points but sometimes it is as much a matter of the difficulty of what they're having the players execute. Play calling alone can account for who has a bad day and who has a good day.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back