Cornerbacks

IndianaVolunteer

I actually feel pretty good heading into the year with our secondary. The depth is decent and apparently they have been coached to track the ball while in the air which obviously CWM didn't coach that way.

Throughout camp we've heard about Martin's progress, Mosley's leadership, Gaulden toughness, Theo Jackson's impact, but one thing we haven't heard of is Marquill Osborne.

Anybody have any news on this guy? I was expecting huge things from him and now that I think about it I remember some reports of him last year but not a peep this year.

Reactions: 1 person
Or Wiggins. :whistling:
Very true, Freak. I listened to Josh Ward's podcast last night and they mentioned Wiggins only being 165 pounds as a possible reason he hasn't been talked about more. Apparently they think that could be a liability in the run game.

But who knows.

Very true, Freak. I listened to Josh Ward's podcast last night and they mentioned Wiggins only being 165 pounds as a possible reason he hasn't been talked about more. Apparently they think that could be a liability in the run game.

But who knows.

Heck of a time to worry about it after you already signed him.

Reactions: 3 people
Heck of a time to worry about it after you already signed him.

He was added in late May so it was not like he took a scholarship away from someone else in the '17 class, so was worth the risk. He was also listed at 175 lbs. when he signed, so not sure about the underweight thingy.

But who knows.

Hubbs mentioned Shamburger working some with the ones yesterday and Labruzza with the twos, but no mention of Wiggins.

Freak you're worried about Wiggins aren't you... :)

Freak you're worried about Wiggins aren't you... :)

I am. I just don't get the continued lack of mentions. With Mosely hurt and Shamburger getting reps with the ones, plus Gaulden working some are corner last week -- I guess it just surprises me a little.

Reactions: 3 people
I am. I just don't get the continued lack of mentions. With Mosely hurt and Shamburger getting reps with the ones, plus Gaulden working some are corner last week -- I guess it just surprises me a little.

It surprises me, too...Wiggins was a starter and an All ACC CB last year...if he can't get into our 2 deep it makes me feel pretty good about who we have...with a new position coach I'm sure all slots were truly open for grabs...

Defensive end Darrell Taylor named Shamburger and sophomore cornerback Marquill Osborne as a couple of players who impressed him, and safety Micah Abernathy mentioned Osborne and D.J. Henderson had interceptions.

Reactions: 2 people

Maybe Wiggins is the subject of the mysterious "suspensions" we've been hearing about.

It surprises me, too...Wiggins was a starter and an All ACC CB last year...if he can't get into our 2 deep it makes me feel pretty good about who we have...with a new position coach I'm sure all slots were truly open for grabs...

Pretty much how i feel. If Wiggins cant work into a two deep, then i feel alot better about our secondary already. Maybe coach Warren has lit a fire under those kids. I know reading a Justin Martin interview, i get a pretty good impression that CWM wasnt that popular with the players. Justin Martin basically alluded to the fact that the CB/DB room was alot more positive this season. Everyone getting along and trying to help each other instead of cutting one another down.

What's the worst that's happening here? Starting quality cornerback bumped for unexpected freshman contributor? We should all suffer such "problems". :)

Wiggins is a high risk high reward corner and plays the pass better than playing the run. He is known for jumping routes and being super aggressive. I don't think that what we want to put on the field against GT. I would say he is a little bit of a liability in the run game so this is not his best opponent. I bet we hear more from him against FL, UGA, Missouri and other teams that are more of a passing threat.

I'm starting to think we have a good group with not much separating the starters from the second and even third string guys. Baylen Buchannon and Marquill Osbourne, both of whom were raved about last year already seem to have gotten lost in the shuffle. All I know, is whoever the guys that get the first opportunity to start have got to make the most of it. I'm sure nothing will be set in stone, as far as the regular season starters, until it is proven on the game day.

I remember two years ago there was basically no mention of McNeil when discussing safeties during the preseason...so much so that everyone assumed Randolph and Kelly were the starters...lo and behold, game 1 it's Randolph and McNeil...point being, it's not uncommon at all for butch to play these things very close to the chest...just hearing that Osborne and Henderson had ints recently makes me think they're more a part of things than we think

Last edited:
What's the worst that's happening here? Starting quality cornerback bumped for unexpected freshman contributor? We should all suffer such "problems". :)

Yeah...it really sucked when Sutton stole that starting job away from those upper classmen in '13

3 Big defensive keys:
Wiggins plays well and solidifies a pretty good secondary.
Sapp or McDowell step up at LB
Tuttles recovery continues to pleasantly surprise

3 Big offensive keys:
We soon settle on a healthy (non suspended) OL starting 5.
We find a solid dependable #2 RB.
QD and/or JG play w/confidence and a little mobility.

VN Store

Back