Too early to talk UT @ UF?

lawgator1

We both have capable opening game opponents, which is a bit unusual, and that is distracting a bit from the SEC opener for both of us. Usually we are talking about the Florida-Tennesee game quite a bit by now.

My take:

If there are no significant injuries, if we are say 50 % improved at QB, and if our players can stay out of jail, I would expect the Gators to be about an 8-9 point favorite.

Everyone talks about Florida having lost some stout defensive players to the NFL, and that is true, but you have to remember that a lot of them were injured in the second half of last year and so guys starting this year did see significant time last year. Plus we get two games before you to improve there.

Offensive line we should be improved. QB we simply have to be better than we have been. It is impossible not to be. The game is @ UF, and I do believe we get it done this year. New streak begins! Though I do think it possible that it becomes a more even-sided affair here as the next few years go by.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes irs too early.

Unless you want to talk about how bad they suck or any funny jort stories. Always time for that.

Reactions: 10 people
If the last two years have taught us anything about the UT-UF match, it's called "it ain't over until it's over."

Same thing could be said about UT-UGA though.

Reactions: 7 people
We both have capable opening game opponents, which is a bit unusual, and that is distracting a bit from the SEC opener for both of us. Usually we are talking about the Florida-Tennesee game quite a bit by now.

My take:

If there are no significant injuries, if we are say 50 % improved at QB, and if our players can stay out of jail, I would expect the Gators to be about an 8-9 point favorite.

Everyone talks about Florida having lost some stout defensive players to the NFL, and that is true, but you have to remember that a lot of them were injured in the second half of last year and so guys starting this year did see significant time last year. Plus we get two games before you to improve there.

Offensive line we should be improved. QB we simply have to be better than we have been. It is impossible not to be. The game is @ UF, and I do believe we get it done this year. New streak begins! Though I do think it possible that it becomes a more even-sided affair here as the next few years go by.

Tennessee and Florida are in the same boat when it comes to injuries and backups having ALOT of experience. We won't know much until after week 1. To see the teams Identities.

Reactions: 3 people
i do think it's too early. we should both have a bit better understanding of what we are after our openers.

today, i think this is going to be another competitive football game, and i don't see either team blowing the other out.

but match up specifics etc...i'll have to defer until i see these two teams play...

Reactions: 3 people
No way you guys are 9 point favorites unless Tennessee loses to Ga Tech and you guys somehow beat Michigan. At this point, or if we're both 2-0, you guys are maybe 4-5 point favorites. If you guys lose to Michigan, if could be almost even money.

Right now, you guys are underdogs against Michigan, so I'd be more worried about them than we are about GT

Reactions: 13 people
A little too early for X's and O's, but not too early for gut feelings.

My gut feeling: I hate Florida.

Also, I think the team got the monkey of its back re: Florida. We seem really loose this offseason and they've lost a couple key players in Calloway and whoever their Safety was who tore his ACL a few weeks ago.

Maybe it's flashbacks from the Tebow/Harvin/Rainey/Demps days, but basically zero of their playmakers scare me. Jordan Scarlett? Really? Y'all had Fred Taylor's kid and he was a blur of mediocre. They got no linebackers, and their secondary will take a huge step back this year. The main bright spot on the team is at WR and DL. Glass houses and such re: QBs, but Zaire caught lightning in a bottle for a few games at ND and he's not gonna do anything.

Florida is the worst. Jorts, gators, zika, George Zimmerman, wildfires, hurricanes, Corexit-coated beaches, manufactured happiness (hello Disney), and old people driving Buicks 15mph under the speed limit. Need I say more?

Reactions: 12 people
Flip a coin. Both teams look relatively equal on paper but QB play will decide the game. LG, who will be QB for UF this year Franks?

Maybe Callaway will steal a car the week of our game and get a one game suspension..nah probably just a teaching moment.

Reactions: 6 people
Early? yes
With a Florida fan? ALWAYS

Florida $UCKS!!!

682956f32235a84ae5b33eb3f2898bf9--orange-country-tennessee-volunteers.jpg

vols.0.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 25 people
I expect Tennessee to beat UF. We're better at almost every position and we have a QB who's accurate with his throws.

Our O-Line SHOULD be one of our main strengths so Dormady won't be running for his life every down.

UT - 38
UF - 24

Reactions: 10 people

My take:

It is never too early to talk football! :)

So I'm reading your assessment of the Gators, and get this eerie feeling that you've somehow shifted gears and are talking about the Vols instead. (!!)

In all but one single point, you could have been discussing Tennessee's lads.

"Everyone talks about the team having lost some stout defensive players to the NFL, and that is true, but you have to remember that a lot of them were injured in the second half of last year and so guys starting this year did see significant time last year. Plus we get two games before you to improve there."
Word for word, an accurate assessment of the Vols defense. Crazy how perfectly you described us. So this part of the assessment favors neither side. Vols won last year; based on this alone, Vols would win again this year.

Offensive line we should be improved.

Ditto again! In fact, we expect to see significant improvement as our talent comes into their best years (juniors and seniors, with a really talented freshman pushing for time at one guard spot).

QB we simply have to be better than we have been. It is impossible not to be.

This is where we part ways. You're living on hope that it'll be better, "because how could it get any worse, amirite?"

We're living on hope that it will be equally good, just in a different way (less crazy-good scrambling in exchange for more precise and potent passing).

So if there's a shift here, and both your and our wishes come true, edge to the Gators...because we're just trying to hold even while you might actually get better.

But here's the real kicker:

The game is @ UF, and I do believe we get it done this year.

If you get it done this year, thank the Swamp.

Most stadiums give about a field goal advantage. Some give a full touchdown. Neyland is one of the latter; so is the Swamp.

So it's gonna be tough for the Vols to march in there and pull out a W.

We won by 10 last year, in Neyland. Take away 7 from us (no Neyland) and give 7 to you (Swamp), and that puts Florida up by 4. Give you a significantly better QB performance, and that could add a handful more.

So yeah, I could see your 8-9 point favorite prediction.

Of course, I'm hoping we blow that up.

Vols by 3 in a truly awesome game that both sides remember for years.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 8 people
waaaaay too early. honestly i thin until at least week 1 its always too early but this year moreso. Both teams are unknown quantities more so than anytime I can think of. We need a game or 2 from both squads before any conversation is had. Unless u count pointless name calling and chest puffing.

Flip a coin. Both teams look relatively equal on paper but QB play will decide the game. LG, who will be QB for UF this year Franks?

My prediction is that by the time of our game, barring injury, I think it will be Franks with Zaire getting a number of snaps, too.

Reactions: 1 person
Not sure what to expect of either bunch until we see them hit the field. Pretty much ditto of what everyone else has said.

However, I do expect UT/UF to be a slobberknocker as usual. Close game either way. Hopefully, the Big Orange way.

My take:

saying its impossible not to be better at QB than UF would mean acting like the last 5-6 years haven't happened. It can get worse, its not likely but it can. I will admit thought that bad QB recruiting has hurt UF pretty much since Tebow moved on. Skill position wise UF will never fully drop off. WR's, RB's and DB's grow on trees on florida literally which is most of the problem.. the trees .

No way you guys are 9 point favorites unless Tennessee loses to Ga Tech and you guys somehow beat Michigan. At this point, or if we're both 2-0, you guys are maybe 4-5 point favorites. If you guys lose to Michigan, if could be almost even money.

Right now, you guys are underdogs against Michigan, so I'd be more worried about them than we are about GT
I think if its a split florida beating michigan is more likely than UT beating GT not because UF is better than UT or GT better than Michigan. The matchup is just better for UF. neither of those 2 teams will sleep on the other and both play SEC style football. Gt is a matchup nightmare for anyone and I feel like people sleep on them because of that.

GT has the scheme and decent athletes.. maybe not SEC level athletes across the board but, if teams like airforce, Ga southern and such can be worldbeaters with 0 star talent and scheme, what can GT do with 3 star talent and that scheme?

My prediction is that by the time of our game, barring injury, I think it will be Franks with Zaire getting a number of snaps, too.

Didn't y'alls DC take a HC position somewhere, if so who is the new guy and did the former take any assistants with him? I would think that mixed with player turnover would cause some potential issues early on.

My take:

No way this game is won by more than 3-7 points for either team. Here's the deal, Malik Zaire is a wildcard. He can look at great at times, and pedestrian next. And you have to think, if McElwain felt confident in Franks' or Trask's ability to lead the offense, he wouldn't have pushed so hard for Zaire's transfer.

If Tennessee can play disciplined football on offense, and field a healthy defense, we win. Those will be the key factors in whether we win or lose.

VN Store

Back