When will a QB seperate himself from the pack?

johnrlansford

How deep into the schedule will we play multiple QBs? By what point does one of them seperate himself from the other and take command of the QB position? I think Dormady starts game 1 and you see both QBs in that game.

I think we could play 2 QBs into the Georgia game atleast. It may be for competition or to keep one of them from leaving. I am not sure but I think we see extensive work from both QBs for a little while.

What do you say?

Reactions: 3 people
How deep into the schedule will we play multiple QBs? By what point does one of them seperate himself from the other and take command of the QB position? I think Dormady starts game 1 and you see both QBs in that game.

I think we could play 2 QBs into the Georgia game atleast. It may be for competition or to keep one of them from leaving. I am not sure but I think we see extensive work from both QBs for a little while.

What do you say?

Dormady still on the roster? He hasn't transferred yet?.....

Reactions: 6 people

What do you say?

I don't see Butch going past game 1 or at the very latest game 2 with a 2 QB system. It seems like he is just waiting for an excuse to start JG and it be his job permanently. I think it gets decided by time the GA Tech Game is over or Indiana St at the very latest. He doesn't wanna go into SEC play with a 2 QB System. I really think Dormady could be one of the better SEC QB's this year as could JG. JG would be the more flashy and make more ESPN highlights but until he learns to take better care of the ball he will also be the QB that could lose you a game with a head scratching turnover. But once it fully clicks for him we will have a QB that everyone loves to watch and one that keeps defensive coach's up late. Just a matter of when that lightbulb comes on if it hasn't already. I wouldn't be shocked to see Dormady start vs GA Tech and JG finish it. JMO but like I said it seems like Butch is just waiting and looking for a reason to turn the reins over to Jarrett. But it's a good situation to have they could both be starters at many other schools. I would bet almost anything the 2 QB system was a motivational tool for both QB's and a very short lived motivational tool at that.

Reactions: 1 person
In my perfect scenario, Dormady will be so good that Guarantano plays the entire 2nd half of every game in a mop up role.

Reactions: 17 people
Dormady is your quarterback. Coaches keep the "competition" going as long as possible to keep the starter hungry and focused. Happens all over the place. And Dormady remains the QB until his performance demands a change, and hopefully for UT fans, that will be never.

Reactions: 11 people
I think there's a scrimmage tonight? Logically, they're going to have to start leaning in one direction to get the #1 more reps. I do think that in some way, form or fashion both will get PT this year, but I also think that Butch know's he has to put aside possible hurt feelings of #2, and always possible transfer, and WIN this year... Too much on the line for him this year and next year to do anything other than what clearly gives him the best chance to win. If he's going with one primary QB, I'd think that starts to take place real soon. If he thinks 2 QB is viable option, then the mystery will probably play out some more?

I would like to see QD start against GT. Have JG come in for some packages and mop up duty in the 4th quarter (we will be up 45-14 by then).
Then, I would like to see JG start against Indiana, QD play the second QTR and play WMB the entire second half.

Let UF figure out which devil is (W)GWTFA!

I would like to see QD start against GT. Have JG come in for some packages and mop up duty in the 4th quarter (we will be up 45-14 by then).
Then, I would like to see JG start against Indiana, QD play the second QTR and play WMB the entire second half.

Let UF figure out which devil is (W)GWTFA!

No, if QD is playing well enough to have the back-up come in for "mop up duty" v GT, he starts game two.

You don't need gimmicks to beat Florida, see last year. You'll end up messing your own team up by trying to mess up the other team.

No, if QD is playing well enough to have the back-up come in for "mop up duty" v GT, he starts game two.

You don't need gimmicks to beat Florida, see last year. You'll end up messing your own team up by trying to mess up the other team.

I prefer to have a gimmick or two, all the best coaches use them occasionally.

I hope not long..I think QD is the starter until he proves wrong..I just think a 2 QB system hurts your teams momentum and chemistry..Like they use to say if you have 2 or more QBs then you do not have a quarterback..GBO

If they are close I think QD should and will get the nod. He waited his turn and JG will have two full years of eligibility. Even if JG left unless he goes to Rutgers etc he would still have to compete.

I prefer to have a gimmick or two, all the best coaches use them occasionally.

A few trick play gimmicks are fine, like in the 2015 UF-UT game when the pass back to Dobbs worked, but I don't think you want to gimmick around with your starting QB, particularly if you have faith in the QB and want his confidence high.

Reactions: 2 people
Problem is that Butch Jones desperately wants Jarrett Guarantano to be the starter, but he knows Quinten Dormady will transfer. The HBC normally gets what he wants. Quinten Dormady is the better QB in my opinion.........Quinten would be much better off to transfer to a school where can play and not ride the bench! I hate it for Quinten........

They will both play until one looks shaky. Its so close it will take a few bad ingame decisions from one or the other.

Problem is that Butch Jones desperately wants Jarrett Guarantano to be the starter, but he knows Quinten Dormady will transfer. The HBC normally gets what he wants. Quinten Dormady is the better QB in my opinion.........Quinten would be much better off to transfer to a school where can play and not ride the bench! I hate it for Quinten........

I don't know what mushrooms you had on your pizza but I hear they grow good ones in auburn.

Reactions: 10 people
problem is that butch jones desperately wants jarrett guarantano to be the starter, but he knows quinten dormady will transfer. The hbc normally gets what he wants. Quinten dormady is the better qb in my opinion.........quinten would be much better off to transfer to a school where can play and not ride the bench! I hate it for quinten........

lol!

They tossed around the idea of a 2 QB system because they have 2 great QB's but I doubt they actually try it. We will have 3 consecutive starting QBs taken in the NFL Draft.

When was the last time our starting QB's have been drafted into the nfl consecutively when their time was up at UT?

That is an opinion. I cannot see into the future but I have high hopes.

Last edited:
Dormady is your quarterback. Coaches keep the "competition" going as long as possible to keep the starter hungry and focused. Happens all over the place. And Dormady remains the QB until his performance demands a change, and hopefully for UT fans, that will be never.

This right here. Nailed it.

Reactions: 4 people
Dormady is the starter. He knows the offense well, and seems to be a good decision maker. Mobile enough, and a strong arm.

It would be wise to let JG get at least a meaningful series or two every game, that way he would be plug and play of something were to happen to QD.

VN Store

Back