Would you like to see Evan Berry on offense?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Would you like to see Evan Berry on offense this year? It's something I've seen and heard discussed a lot this summer. We talked about it here two years ago. The fact is, we don't have many proven big play threats on offense (Jennings, but he's not going to run by anyone), and Berry could add that element. Get him the ball in space and anything could happen.

Berry quote from media day yesterday:

“I’m cool with (playing on offense) but my priority right now is defense and special teams,” stated Berry. “But, if Coach Jones said ‘Hey, we need you to do this, blah, blah, blah’ then I’m with it. I’m a team player, so, wherever they need me, I’m there.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt_8fD3J-RQ

So, given the choice, would you like to see Berry on offense? Could he help the team there?

Reactions: 6 people
What they'd have to do...

QB works out of the shotgun, takes the snap, turns around and hurls it 30 yards behind him to Berry who's lined up like he's taking a kickoff.

Watch the magic happen.

Reactions: 18 people
Criminally underutilized, especially with so many kicks being touchbacks. Should use him on offense with swing passes, jet sweeps, etc.

Reactions: 8 people
I'd like to see him on offense. Butch could use him in so many ways due to his speed. No need to waste his talents just on kick offs.

Reactions: 2 people
whose snaps are you taking away? We need to pass to the TEs more, we need to use our WRs more, we didn't run our bests back enough last year. Where do his snaps come from?

reoccurring problem with VN we want 150 snaps a game, anything less is a mismanagement of our players by the coaches.

Reactions: 4 people
Criminally underutilized, especially with so many kicks being touchbacks. Should use him on offense with swing passes, jet sweeps, etc.

Seems like we had him run a jet sweep at least once maybe more last year. It didn't work.

He's like his brother. You better know when he is on the field or the next thing you know he is scoring a TD. Set him up some situational packages as a receiver.

If he was on offense he would need to play most of the time not just situational downs..THAT would be a dead give away..And I would not like to see him used as a decoy either..Play him offense and returns or defense and returns..PLease not gimmick plays..
GBO

I totally am in support of Jones and staff but if we are not going to use Berry on defense he for sure needs to see at least some action on offense. Put him in the slot, in open space there isn't a better player on our team. One of the staffs worst gaffs has been not utilizing him more, no excuses this year for him to not get some touches. JMHO. GBO!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Seems like he does great on KO' returns when he catches ball in motion and he has the knack of cutting quick while still moving forward. Not sure if that dynamic transfers to a offense that starts on the LOS. I used to wonder why Devin Hester wasn't used more on Offense but I think the same situation.
I would like to see Berry get ball in space like others have said just not sure how to work that, especially if played sparingly when on field he would be manned.

Reactions: 1 person
i just remember Leonard Scott as a WR and as good a KR as he was, he was flat awful as a receiver, and not big enough to line up in the backfield.

i think EB is a better overall athlete, and football player, than scott was. i just use that as an example of one thing doesn't always translate to another....if we were to use him on offense, i'd like to see it as a RB...we've been pretty good at getting guys out of the backfield, and in to space as a pass catcher. i think that could be a spot where EB could shine. couple snaps per quarter...something like that.

VN Store

Back